Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I originally applied for University College but got allocated Van Mildert instead. I was clearly informed that I would be allocated to a similar College which is certainly not the case. I would like to know if I am stuck with this horrendous arrangement. If not, who can I talk to so that I may alter my allocation to a more traditional College (perhaps Senior tutors).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    I originally applied for University College but got allocated Van Mildert instead. I was clearly informed that I would be allocated to a similar College which is certainly not the case. I would like to know if I am stuck with this horrendous arrangement. If not, who can I talk to so that I may alter my allocation to a more traditional College (perhaps Senior tutors).
    Hey, sorry to hear that you've ended up in that situation, but I'm curious where you were told that you'd be allocated to a similar college - I was under the impression that was how it worked a couple of years ago, but I can't find anything online that currently implies that.

But yes; for issues like this, the Senior Tutor at the college you're currently allocated is almost always the best person to go to, as they handle a large variety of thing, and usually are the best-connected person involved.

Ms. Petra Points, Senior Tutor: [email protected] 0191 33 7144

ReputationRep:
    Horrendous arrangement, lol. I did the opposite - moved from a traditional College to one on the Hill. Best bit of persuasion I ever pulled off. You may find it easier to move after Freshers Week, or at least once results are out (presuming you're yet to start at Durham), as they're more likely to have places available. But you have to be quick and have a very good case to put forward. Mine worked due to pastoral issues (all my friends were in another College, I felt isolated, wanted a College with better facilities & sports opportunities etc. etc.) - they'll ask you what you can contribute to your preferred College extra-curricular and academically so have a good answer ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dionysos4)
    Hello there the exact same thing happened to my friend; applied to castle and allocated to can mildert. She rang up admissions and explained that she really wanted to go to a college with traditions etc. Took some sweet talk but they've moved her to St Mary's

Worse that can happen is try don't move you so give it a try.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure who told you you would be allocated to a traditional college if you failed to get into Castle. While this is true of the other Bailey colleges I was pretty sure that with the new pool system that applicants to Castle could be allocated anywhere because there are so many of them, and that this had been the case since the system was introduced.

Also, its the hill, not Afghanistan I'm not sure "horrendous arrangement" is quite appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quagers)
    I'm not sure who told you you would be allocated to a traditional college if you failed to get into Castle. While this is true of the other Bailey colleges I was pretty sure that with the new pool system that applicants to Castle could be allocated anywhere because there are so many of them, and that this had been the case since the system was introduced.

Also, its the hill, not Afghanistan I'm not sure "horrendous arrangement" is quite appropriate.
    Someone from Castle, Chad's or Hatfield may disagree with you there, if they were asked to move to a Hill College. :P

ReputationRep:
    Good to see the old Bailey/Hill rivalry is alive and well :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was allocated to Van Mildert as well and while not disappointed (I was able to visit and the people were lovely!), I'd really like a smaller college with fewer students.

I explained that being a international student, a smaller student body and the prospective of individual pastoral care would really make a difference for me.

I emailed the tutor as well as the Admissions secretary. Do you think this sort of arrangement could only be made if one sweet-talked their way out of a phone call, or could my case be considered via email?
    Quite honestly, I don't know that I can spend millions on a out-of-the country call :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laStrada)
    Hi,
    I was allocated to Van Mildert as well and while not disappointed (I was able to visit and the people were lovely!), I'd really like a smaller college with fewer students.

I explained that being a international student, a smaller student body and the prospective of individual pastoral care would really make a difference for me.

I emailed the tutor as well as the Admissions secretary. Do you think this sort of arrangement could only be made if one sweet-talked their way out of a phone call, or could my case be considered via email?
    Quite honestly, I don't know that I can spend millions on a out-of-the country call :P
    I think your case would always be persuaded whatever the medium - but got to say that a phonecall really does make a difference. On the other hand, I assume it's nicer for them to get an e-mail about it than to have a phonecall out of the blue that they've got to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    I think your case would always be persuaded whatever the medium - but got to say that a phonecall really does make a difference. On the other hand, I assume it's nicer for them to get an e-mail about it than to have a phonecall out of the blue that they've got to deal with.
    Thanks! I'll wait a couple of days and if everything else fails, I'll suck it up and call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laStrada)
    Hi,

Keep in mind there won't have been many other internationals at the visit day. There are many in term time, and although some make friends with everyone, a lot feel more comfortable just within groups of other internationals, and they all look out for each other. Also we have a very large welfare team to look after people. Just saying so if you can't change you don't get too worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bistonut)
    Keep in mind there won't have been many other internationals at the visit day. There are many in term time, and although some make friends with everyone, a lot feel more comfortable just within groups of other internationals, and they all look out for each other. Also we have a very large welfare team to look after people. Just saying so if you can't change you don't get too worried

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, thanks very much! As I said, I liked the college so if I can't change I won't sweat it too much, but I want to give it a try anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Have you been to a Post-Application open day at Van Mildert at all? Whilst not the same in your situation, I was also rejected from Castle when I first applied and I was pooled to Cuth's. At first, I was pretty disappointed because I really wanted to say to friends back home that I lived in a Castle (poor excuse of wanting to get in, I know). But when I went to check Cuth's out on the open days, I fell in love with the place. In all seriousness, I am so grateful that Castle pooled me to Cuth's because I am having the time of my life there! Plus, I really would not have fitted in at Castle at all...

It seems to me that the senior tutors at Castle sent your application to Van Mildert for a reason. Perhaps you do a sport that Mildert excel in or some other extra-curricular activity? I got pooled to Cuth's because I do a lot of Drama and martial arts.

I know it's disappointing, but it may not be as bad as you think! If you're doing a science or politics, you have a shorter walk to the science site than us poor Bailey folk!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got pooled into Collingwood which I'm not too excited about. I really want to be in a smaller college. Aren't there people that transfer once in a while from college to college? I've tried everything and emailed everyone but I keep on getting the same response that only disability reasons will be accepted for transfer requests. Is there any chance of transferring later on during the school year? Say, if someone is really disappointed with their college and feel that another college is more suitable for them?

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound harsh but you need to realise you are not the only one in this situation and unless you have a genuine medical reason you will not and should not be allowed to change.

If we work from the premise that you're not special. Allowing you to move would allow every single person who didn't get into their first choice to demand the same. That would be complete carnage, if it helps try to think of it just like your UCAS application, if you don't get in somewhere you can't ask to move because you don't like it.

All colleges have a wide range of people and activities, you can be as involved or as separate as you like. Almost everyone ends up loving their college regardless of if its their first choice or not. Go in with an open attitude, don't tell everyone you meet that you hate it there and wish you were somewhere else and I'm sure you will love it.

ReputationRep:
    Is it recent that they started using the automatic pooling system? And I thought that before they were more lenient towards transfer requests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Death)
    Is it recent that they started using the automatic pooling system? And I thought that before they were more lenient towards transfer requests
    Yeah, the automatic pooling stuff is new this year - previously they had a system with multiple different pools that limited the colleges you could be assigned to, and so on.

And as far as I'm aware, the university's always had the policy that you can only move college based on medical reasons - leniency may just depend on who exactly you talk to about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the automatic pooling stuff is new this year - previously they had a system with multiple different pools that limited the colleges you could be assigned to, and so on.

And as far as I'm aware, the university's always had the policy that you can only move college based on medical reasons - leniency may just depend on who exactly you talk to about it.
    Hm, I see. Thanks for the reply. To me it just seems super awkward that there's not a more advanced method of placement. I know to many that their college is more important to them than even the university as a whole, so something like allocation should be more rigorous and defined in my opinion. It might be too much work, but the automatic system thing seems really impersonal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint Death)
    Hm, I see. Thanks for the reply. To me it just seems super awkward that there's not a more advanced method of placement. I know to many that their college is more important to them than even the university as a whole, so something like allocation should be more rigorous and defined in my opinion. It might be too much work, but the automatic system thing seems really impersonal
    When you get here, please get involved with the Student Union and campaign for this. I think the University's doing so much stuff at the moment that the student body disagrees with, we're completely confused about what we need to prioritise fighting for - student fees? appropriate use of university money? improvements to student accommodation? mandatory 38-week lets? corruption in university governance?

ReputationRep:
    When you get here, please get involved with the Student Union and campaign for this. I think the University's doing so much stuff at the moment that the student body disagrees with, we're completely confused about what we need to prioritise fighting for - student fees? appropriate use of university money? improvements to student accommodation? mandatory 38-week lets? corruption in university governance?
    Ah, that sounds quite complicated indeed! I will probably do that; I don't see any harm in being involved. Which college do you belong to, by the way? I think the university as a whole is fascinating though, even if I don't agree with some of the policies

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.