Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why do girls tell all their friends when they like a guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it because they are subconsciously afraid that the other girls will like them too and it is a message saying "Back off he is mine".

ReputationRep:
    I.don't tell my friends but I think that's just down to the matter of trust....

ReputationRep:
    Relationships are higher up the lists of topic of conversation for girls. Guys have stuff like football to talk about. Also the average girl has more sexual choice than the average guy, so there is at least some credibility to the conversation if the girl constantly goes on about some guy that she likes and makes her friends listen to the ongoing saga about will they/won't they get together, what happened on this and that scenario when they talked to each other or what they are texting about.

A lot of guys will see a girl they like but they accept subconsciously that it's never gonna happen so why would they make their friends listen to them going on about it. It would be like if the guy was say a Villa fan and he was talking to his mates all the time about his hopes for Champions League qualification, they would all be LMAO right from the start. It's acceptable to talk about it to your guy mates but in a kind of hypothetical sense, like "I would smash that", is like saying "I would love it if Villa signed Mario Gotze", its accepted that its not going to happen but its acceptable to voice the fantasy and your mates will understand that as long as you don't go on and on about it like you think its achievable.

ReputationRep:
    I think there was a scientific study conducted AGES ago and it discovered that the longer guys wait for someone to come along, their standards go down.
    The longer a girl waits, the standard goes up...

ReputationRep:
    Whattttt??? no!!! at least not inmy case. i tell them because i actually like sharing the excitement and because i like receiving advice from them... i have never thought in the way you put it - it makes us females sound like control freaks"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sissoko46)
    Is it because they are subconsciously afraid that the other girls will like them too and it is a message saying "Back off he is mine".
    To me I feel girls tell their friends who they like to hopefully spread to the guy and to probably tell their friends to back off. For me proper secrets are what you keep to yourself and not tell anyone, but if you tell someone you want/are willing for the secret to spread.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Relationships are higher up the lists of topic of conversation for girls. Guys have stuff like football to talk about. Also the average girl has more sexual choice than the average guy, so there is at least some credibility to the conversation if the girl constantly goes on about some guy that she likes and makes her friends listen to the ongoing saga about will they/won't they get together, what happened on this and that scenario when they talked to each other or what they are texting about.

A lot of guys will see a girl they like but they accept subconsciously that it's never gonna happen so why would they make their friends listen to them going on about it. It would be like if the guy was say a Villa fan and he was talking to his mates all the time about his hopes for Champions League qualification, they would all be LMAO right from the start. It's acceptable to talk about it to your guy mates but in a kind of hypothetical sense, like "I would smash that", is like saying "I would love it if Villa signed Mario Gotze", its accepted that its not going to happen but its acceptable to voice the fantasy and your mates will understand that as long as you don't go on and on about it like you think its achievable.
    is that how all guys see girls?

oh dear. I guess it makes us girls seem less wrapped up in our fantasies then.

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion I think girls talk about guys to get advice..

or maybe just for gossip.. it could be to tell girls to back off from him though.. but i think its just for gossip..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    is that how all guys see girls?

oh dear. I guess it makes us girls seem less wrapped up in our fantasies then.
    Nope, I see a girl for their beauty and personality. But I wouldn't have intentions of thinking, 'I'll tap that'.

ReputationRep:
    I have never spoken about guys I like to any of my female friends. I don't see it as relevant to conversion. They've occasionally mentioned theirs to me, but not often.

The friend who insists on sharing most their crushes with me is male. :p:

ReputationRep:
    its because they think ther friends will get them together x

ReputationRep:
    To tell them *****es that HE'S MINE.

I have only really told my friends at uni the one time I liked a guy. I kept it to myself for a while but then I told them because I didn't know what to do. I have no experience about relationships yet they are all in relationships. They gave me the confidence to do something about it and although the outcome was that I didn't get the guy, they still helped me and I don't regret it at all. The advice is the reason why I would tell them (or just to get it off my head, but not to go how he is mine so back off)>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sissoko46)
    No, No, No. Most certainly not. Unless your 'Friends' are the type to go after any guy then, It's most certainly not from those I know.

Personally I tell them because I am close to them and so i trust them with all my heart. Sometimes, it's so much easier for me to tell them then someone else like my mother about this.

ReputationRep:
    If I tell my friends it is because I feel strongly about the guy and feel quite excited about it (and I like sharing with my friends what excites me etc), and also to receive advice.

My friends are mostly guys, and I don't tend to tell people who know the guy I like directly, so it isn't to get people to 'back-off' or hoping he might find out indirectly (in fact, I'd hate for that to happen).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.