Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love the look of Exeter but I've heard so much about how nasty and ignorant some of the students are "meant" to be... I'm quite concerned now.

Are the rumours true? Apparently there are many who look down on those who are poorer, or in my case from a council house. These aren't to type of people who I'd enjoy being around.

There surely has be some decent and normal people, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennyP2009)
    I love the look of Exeter but I've heard so much about how nasty and ignorant some of the students are "meant" to be... I'm quite concerned now.

Are the rumours true? Apparently there are many who look down on those who are poorer, or in my case from a council house. These aren't to type of people who I'd enjoy being around.

Are all black guys athletic?

It's a stereotype which is complete rubbish. There is probably a slightly higher percentage of students here from well off families than most Universities, but I've yet to see anybody being looked down on as a result of their financial situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    Are all black guys athletic?

It's a stereotype which is complete rubbish. There is probably a slightly higher percentage of students here from well off families than most Universities, but I've yet to see anybody being looked down on as a result of their financial situation.
    Agree with the above.

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely a greater presence of 'snobbier' people here, having said this, I haven't had any experience of them looking down on people who aren't from privately educated backgrounds/poorer backgrounds although most people I've met are privately educated rather than not. It can be difficult to integrate to their ways as coming from a state school myself I've noticed the banter is considerably different among them.

There isn't really a 'lad' culture here, and at times the people can seem boring and tame.

If you're worried about mixing with the snobbier people avoid applying to accommodation like Holland Hall; go for the self-catered options and old lafrowda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellasmith)
    There is definitely a greater presence of 'snobbier' people here, having said this, I haven't had any experience of them looking down on people who aren't from privately educated backgrounds/poorer backgrounds although most people I've met are privately educated rather than not. It can be difficult to integrate to their ways as coming from a state school myself I've noticed the banter is considerably different among them.

There isn't really a 'lad' culture here, and at times the people can seem boring and tame.

If you're worried about mixing with the snobbier people avoid applying to accommodation like Holland Hall; go for the self-catered options and old lafrowda.
    Wrong.

Just like every Uni there is, but it's not widespread, it's within certain areas, mainly a few sports teams. Lacrosse, hockey, rugby union and rugby league are all full of "lads", which makes trying to play lacrosse and hockey really bloody annoying if you're not one of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennyP2009)

They don't have a right to be snobby when they aren't even that prestigious . It isn't hard to get into Exeter...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you'll find some students to be like that, but you'll get that everywhere and in the work place when you have a job, you can't pick and choose how people will behave, sometimes in life you'll meet people you don't quite get along with but you just bite your tongue and get on with it.
    You can't group together all of the students to have the same personality, it doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

Exeter is a lovely university, great surroundings and over all a decent place in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonNortherner)
    They don't have a right to be snobby when they aren't even that prestigious . It isn't hard to get into Exeter...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Top 10 University, with the 7th highest percent of students with AAB+ and higher in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Film)
    Top 10 University, with the 7th highest percent of students with AAB+ and higher in England.
    AAB isn't hard :3. They'll accept anybody who meets their lowest requirement as long as they aren't a retard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AAB isn't hard :3. They'll accept anybody who meets their lowest requirement as long as they aren't a retard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said AAB+ Wow, according to you, there are a lot of terrible Universities in the U.K. Again......7th best in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Film)

Wow, according to you, there are a lot of terrible Universities in the U.K. Again......7th best in England.
    I didn't say they were terrible - they're still very good. It's just, the only uni's that are particularly difficult to get into in my eyes are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Durham. In every other university, meeting their lowest entry requirement for the course and having a decent personal statement will almost definitely get you a place. For the 5 that I just mentioned, meeting their lowest entry standard isn't enough - you'll probably need to exceed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is an offensive use of the word retard. You should not refer to ANYONE as a retard.

Your statement in this post smacks of snobbery to me.

To the thread starter you'll find snobbish people and laddish people at all Universities. You'll find your own friends so don't worry about those you feel you may not get on with.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say they were terrible - they're still very good. It's just, the only uni's that are particularly difficult to get into in my eyes are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Durham. Posted from TSR Mobile
    Err no.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.