Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am planning on how to be qualified in the UK as a solicitor and would be grateful for any/all inputs!
    To keep this concise, I will list the details as bullet points so please point out to me if any necessary information is missing:

- I have LLB from top Irish university (but only 2.2)

- Intern at Baker and Mckenzie (Tokyo office) + internship with some NY firms lined up

- fluent in Japanese (and sure in English )

- no training contract secured in the UK (my permanent address is in London)

- I understand the difficulties with getting a job in the US without JD/visa and I do not intend to work in the US

- I am struggling to secure a TC in the UK with 2.2 and that is why I am doing those internships and now considering to take NY Bar to add value to my CV.

- The plan is to take the NYB and come back to find a TC in the UK and then go on to the LPC

It would be great if I can hear what any of you think of this – do you think it’s worth a try or total waste of time?
    Especially inputs from those who have US qualifications working in the UK would be gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    That all looks really good, but my advice is to definitely not do the LPC until you find a training contact, I made that mistake Adam now focusing on my career away fromlaw as I am finding impossible to even get a paralegal / admin role in law never mind a tc.

Good luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're doing plenty of great stuff to compensate for the 2:2, but from the, somewhat limited, (as I'm not quite at that stage yet) research that I've done, many City firms have a strict cut off point of a 2:1 in the same way that universities require a minimum of, for example, A*AA, and that no one below that point would be considered. I may be wrong with that and I'm sure it won't apply to absolutely every firm, but given that you've mentioned B&M and New York firms it suggests that you're aiming at top City firms so this probably is relevant. Would advise that you get in touch with individual firms for some clarification?

ReputationRep:
    I think your mental processes are firmly inside a rectangular cardboard storage container.

I think there is no reasonable prospect you are going to get a TC from one of the large City law firms. That does not mean that you cannot have a rewarding career in law.

Ultimately there are a number of ways in which you can qualify as a solicitor.

They are:-

Graduate membership of CILEX, pass exams, 5 years legal work of which two after exams+LPC

New York bar+QLTS

Admitted as solicitor in ROI+conveyancing+probate exams

Admitted as solicitor in NI and free transfer

Internal application for TC + part-time LPC+TC

What all of these in practice involve is getting a foot in the door of a law firm. If you get yourself a position as say a legal secretary in a West End commercial boutique firm, they may well offer you a training contract that you could never get by filling in an application, or you can go the legal exec route.

You are not gong to get there battering away at the front door and getting more academic qualifications isn't going to help. You need to get inside the law in some capacity.

If you applied to us with a 2:2 from outside you wouldn't have a shout but we have given a TC in the recent past to an existing employee with a 2:2. .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.