Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...1&d=1364228860
    WHY is a potential divider needed in the circuit? Is it so that the voltage can easily be adjusted? If so, why can't you just use a variable resistor like the one in this link:
    https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...7-5Tjqu6AAKBa0
    ??

Thanks you .

ReputationRep:
    Potentiometers are essentially potential dividers, and they can be used as variable resistors. The purpose of a potential divider circuit is to vary the output p.d., which is what you are being asked to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brister)
    Potentiometers are essentially potential dividers, and they can be used as variable resistors. The purpose of a potential divider circuit is to vary the output p.d., which is what you are being asked to do.
    But why can't you have a variable resistor instead? The MS mentions nothing about it. Or is it that it's one of the components shown there?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You may get away with it on an exam, but that is not for me to say. Your teacher should know better than I do. At least for my exam board, we only had to know about the basic potential divider circuit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brister)
    You may get away with it on an exam, but that is not for me to say. Your teacher should know better than I do. At least for my exam board, we only had to know about the basic potential divider circuit.
    Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.