Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I bought this laptop (display model from JB Hi-Fi), Samsung Core i7, so it has a lot of processing power which might cause it to be hot.

Anyway, the thing is, it's only ever gotten pretty hot a couple times - when I've played a DVD on it. Now this past week it's been getting dangerously hot (like the side of a kettle of boiling water) and I'm not sure why.

I heard the cause most likely is dust (4 months of dust, and this being a display model so maybe 6-7 months of dust) - that seems reasonable. But how do I fix it? I tried unscrewing the back but it doesn't seem to work - there is like another whole chunk of stuff to unscrew under the main case. Is there a better way to cool it down (& soon cos I have assignments due and I need to thus use it in the easter hols)??

Also, the plug portal things (eg for USB) are too hot to even touch for a millisecond :/ What do I do to stop it getting wrecked?!
    Even the mousepad is getting too hot to touch in the past half hour (today I only used it about an hour, and it's plugged in, but it gets hot regardless of being plugged in or not, and after about 10 minutes it gets hot)
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Sit it on a damp towel or something, worked for mine kind of

ReputationRep:
    Put it onto a large hardback book (if you have one) before you turn it on. If you are laying it on your bed a lot, this can prevent the fans underneath from working. Alternatively you can use a tray. Also, when charging it, don't leave it charging for too long, only charge it until it is full because this can heat up the battery pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I know this doesn't help but my Sony Vaio does a similar thing, it gets to a ridiculous temperature just from being on even with nothing running in the background. The main issue is it kicks the fan into overdrive and it is SO loud, I'm pretty close to getting a new laptop tbh :/ Have you tried taking it apart and actually having a look at the fan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Season One)
    Sit it on a damp towel or something, worked for mine kind of
    Ahh not quite sure how well moistness/dampness will go with electricity

(Original post by expectopatronumm)
    Put it onto a large hardback book (if you have one) before you turn it on. If you are laying it on your bed a lot, this can prevent the fans underneath from working. Alternatively you can use a tray. Also, when charging it, don't leave it charging for too long, only charge it until it is full because this can heat up the battery pretty quickly.
    I have put it on a diary so the left side where the fan things most likely are (the vents are on the left side and underneath of the laptop on the left too) so that the left (and right) are not in contact with the desk anymore. I just returned it on (after restoring it and putting it in safe mode) and it got hot in barely 5 minutes!!! That's just crazy! I only bought it pretty much brand new 4 months ago
    (Original post by JumpingJonny)
    I know this doesn't help but my Sony Vaio does a similar thing, it gets to a ridiculous temperature just from being on even with nothing running in the background. The main issue is it kicks the fan into overdrive and it is SO loud, I'm pretty close to getting a new laptop tbh :/ Have you tried taking it apart and actually having a look at the fan?
    I tried opening it but there's so may screws and things so I couldn't lift the panel and just stopped unscrewing stuff...might try again tomorrow. Gonna get some compressed air tomorrow and see if that blows the dust out the vents or something o.O Argghhhh fghjjkl!!!I need it soo much for Uni work too - a lot of my units have online assessments, and I need to write and research for a report Can't use library comp in holidays (looonngg story) either :/

ReputationRep:
    I want to add - I tried the baking tray thing - that got hot in all of 5 seconds (maybe 5 minutes) and then the computer stayed hot anyway :/ The 'placing it on a thick book so the vents on the bottom are clear' idea is making it less hot than before, but it is still pretty hot for having only been switched on about 15 mins ago :/ ALSO, I can't hear the fans at all

ReputationRep:
    You can just buy a cooler: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...esc&subid=1406

Thank me later.

ReputationRep:
    I think a major problem is that fans will gather dust over time and clump it together, making the fan more obsolete overtime. I took the back off of my laptop to look at the fan and a huge clump of dust was stuck in it. When I pulled it out and sprayed some compressed air in it, the laptop started cooling down a lot after. Try that maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsGal)
    I bought this laptop (display model from JB Hi-Fi), Samsung Core i7, so it has a lot of processing power which might cause it to be hot.

Anyway, the thing is, it's only ever gotten pretty hot a couple times - when I've played a DVD on it. Now this past week it's been getting dangerously hot (like the side of a kettle of boiling water) and I'm not sure why.

I heard the cause most likely is dust (4 months of dust, and this being a display model so maybe 6-7 months of dust) - that seems reasonable. But how do I fix it? I tried unscrewing the back but it doesn't seem to work - there is like another whole chunk of stuff to unscrew under the main case. Is there a better way to cool it down (& soon cos I have assignments due and I need to thus use it in the easter hols)??

Also, the plug portal things (eg for USB) are too hot to even touch for a millisecond :/ What do I do to stop it getting wrecked?!
    Even the mousepad is getting too hot to touch in the past half hour (today I only used it about an hour, and it's plugged in, but it gets hot regardless of being plugged in or not, and after about 10 minutes it gets hot)
    Thankyou
    People who don't know much about computer systems, etc they tend to use compressed air cans to force dust out the other side.

Also consider making sure, that all the ventilation points on the laptop are clear, try a cooler like coolermaster u3...............also suggest registering the laptop on Samsung, and downloading all the latest drivers, it could be a driver fault causing low rpm on the fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wick3d)
    You can just buy a cooler: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...esc&subid=1406

Thank me later.
    Is that also known as a cooling pad? If so, I'm gonna try some cheaper (ie: FREE!!) options first before splashing out on them
    Do they definitely always work and cool the laptop down?

(Original post by LewisRichardson)
    I think a major problem is that fans will gather dust over time and clump it together, making the fan more obsolete overtime. I took the back off of my laptop to look at the fan and a huge clump of dust was stuck in it. When I pulled it out and sprayed some compressed air in it, the laptop started cooling down a lot after. Try that maybe.
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    People who don't know much about computer systems, etc they tend to use compressed air cans to force dust out the other side.

Also consider making sure, that all the ventilation points on the laptop are clear, try a cooler like coolermaster u3...............also suggest registering the laptop on Samsung, and downloading all the latest drivers, it could be a driver fault causing low rpm on the fan.
    Rightio, what if I used the air compressor with the lid open instead...or just used my hands to pluck dust off the fan? o.o
    2nd mention of a cooler...maybe I ought to get one after all. And will try re Samsung - didn't think of that!

Edit: I just listened to the fan (it's always been quiet!!) and it I think is going at crazy speed O___O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsGal)
    Is that also known as a cooling pad? If so, I'm gonna try some cheaper (ie: FREE!!) options first before splashing out on them
    Do they definitely always work and cool the laptop down?

Rightio, what if I used the air compressor with the lid open instead...or just used my hands to pluck dust off the fan? o.o
    2nd mention of a cooler...maybe I ought to get one after all. And will try re Samsung - didn't think of that!

Edit: I just listened to the fan (it's always been quiet!!) and it I think is going at crazy speed O___O
    Well you got to careful so the dust actually leaves the laptops rather then spread out...................you could possibly damage something.

Then its possible the fan isn't working the way it should, when it heats up the fans rpm should go up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.