Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Quite new to TSR, SO BE NICE . I am a 1st year philosophy student at a UK university. I want to become a qualified lawyer but I am not impressed by the GDL + LPC route. I am interested in studying in the USA and I think studying a Jurisdiction may be more sufficient than doing the GDL. Obviously it depends on what law I want to practice but can you shed light on the differences between the two courses. As I said, I want to study a post graduate course at an Ivy league American college however, I have developed a network here and practicing law here is also sufficient.

What do you think?
    Please Comment
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I assume you mean a Juris Doctor (J.D.) rather than a jurisdiction.

My advice is that, if you really want a Juris Doctor, then consider dropping out of philosophy and applying to an LL.B programme with an option (usually for two students) to complete their LL.B in two years and then go on to complete the J.D. in another two years. If all you want to do is get a proper LL.B instead of the GDL then consider doing either the accelerated programmes in Scotland or enter into a senior status LL.B in England- both of which will get you the degree in two years. In terms of your career I would probably suggest getting high 2.1 or 1st in your philosophy degree and then doing well in a senior status LL.B at somewhere like Oxbridge, LSE, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Daneeka,

I will like a proper LLB degree but the GDL apparently is enough to become a solicitor. I just don't want to regret not having a full legal qualification so that I have breadth in my career. It may be a step back to do an LLB after doing a Bachelor's degree in philosophy. Also do you think it is necessary to study at an elite university?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Adetu)
    Thanks Daneeka,

I will like a proper LLB degree but the GDL apparently is enough to become a solicitor. I just don't want to regret not having a full legal qualification so that I have breadth in my career. It may be a step back to do an LLB after doing a Bachelor's degree in philosophy. Also do you think it is necessary to study at an elite university?

Cheers
    I did the GDL at BPP and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's really intense but taught in a way that is practical and useful.
    If you really want the LLB, you can do the GDL and do 2 extra modules in the summer after. This convert it to an LLB. It works out cheaper and quicker (yet just as reputable) than a full undergraduate law degree.

The GDL isn't "apparently" enough, it IS enough to become a solicitor or barrister (obviously you have to do the LPC or BPTC as well)!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.