Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I feel I am not going to make the grades to get into my uni choices. At best I'm looking at an A, a D and an E. I've left to much too late. I've never been a good student, maybe in secondary school, but throughout college I've procrastinated and coasted my way through it, taking most opportune moments to go to a party and drown my worries. I have two options, I can either look for employment after I've finished this year at college or pay to re-do the year and try to get into uni next year.

The minimum wage jobs don't scare me too much. I could do it, I would have my guitar, laptop for games, library for books and I have an awesome group of friends and a girlfriend of over a year. I just wouldn't want to be stuck in the poverty trap forever, I'm only young. In some ways, I wouldn't mind being there right now.

I've thought long and hard about going to uni and not going. At the start of the A2 year I was close to dropping out to go on an apprenticeship (good job I didn't because I didn't even hear from them again). If I go to university, it's going not going to be anywhere near me. I cannot make the grades to get into the nearest one, unless I maybe did another year (but that means paying and wasting a year that I could have been earning, and there is the possibility that I may not even make it). I don't want to go too far out, my friends and my girlfriends and close family are important to me. At the same time, graduate jobs seem much more desirable and it's what my family expects because that's all I've told them I want to do.

This conflict is making me feel like ****.

ReputationRep:
    What course are you looking to do at university-What are grades are needed? If your afraid your not going to make it into your local university and you desperately want to do/need to go, then pay to retake the year. OR if you cannot afford to pay, then maybe ask parents, or other families to help you out- possibly pay them back installments and work at the weekends. OR if that is not a viable option than work for a year and save up and then pay to retake the year.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.