Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!!

About a couple of months ago or even roughly from the start of the new year probably I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping, about a month ago I went to my GP and as my sleep hygiene was already pretty good and I'd tried all the OTC sleep remedies I was prescribed Zopiclone (7.5mg) for a couple of weeks and that didn't really seem to work apart from for the first couple of days so when I went back I was then put on temazepam (valium) for a couple of weeks and this did actually help quite a bit but I was still struggling for sleep and waking up stupidly early, bad dreams etc!

My GP has basically said this is due to stress/anxiety and other symptoms like Raynauds and pins and needles and the odd headaches etc confirm this.

So because she couldn't prescribe beta blockers ( I assume Propranolol?) because I have a history of asthma on record; she then said the best option was something for anxiety. So she wants to put me on Sertraline for 6months, Initially I've been prescribed 28 days worth at 50mg per time. I've also been given another 2 weeks of Temazepam.

Now having done a bit of reading up on Sertraline and the fact that it actually commonly CAUSES insomnia as a side effect, it just seems a bit of a counter intuitive solution.

I was just wondering what are peoples experiences with the drug? How will it affect stuff day to day?

tl,dr version

Will Sertraline help given main problems are insomnia/feeling tired?

ReputationRep:
    Not a great fan of Setraline in general, but it had little to no affect on my sleeping pattern one way or another. But that's just me. Don't take one anecdote as bible.

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably be better off trying mirtazapine at low dose over sertraline, more effective for insomnia I'd say (I am not a doctor though).

Do some internet research and decide for yourself, doctors can only suggest stuff, it's you that makes the decision.

Oh just noticed you said it's mainly for anxiety, sorry didn't see that before, not entirely sure how much mirtazapine helps with anxiety - you'd have to google it - but it definitely helps with insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    You'd probably be better off trying mirtazapine at low dose over sertraline, more effective for insomnia I'd say (I am not a doctor though).

Do some internet research and decide for yourself, doctors can only suggest stuff, it's you that makes the decision.

Oh just noticed you said it's mainly for anxiety, sorry didn't see that before, not entirely sure how much mirtazapine helps with anxiety - you'd have to google it - but it definitely helps with insomnia.
    Thanks

It's only been a few days so I guess we will see how these go in a couple of weeks but it hasn't gotten any better or worse really, consistently waking up at 5am still :/

Gave those a quick google just and it does look fairly suitable...

Not looking forward to the Temazepam ending if I'm honest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.