Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, im currently doing my 3 yr BA in History, English Literature and Psychology in India. I want to apply for an MA in Classical Archaeology for the year 2014-2015 at 7 Universities. I usually get a 1.1 in my semesters so thats not a problem but my percentage in 11th and 12th grade was pretty bad. I Am also gonna do a short course in Archaeology online from the University of Oxford. My question Is am I eligible to apply for the course or are they just gonna reject my application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamosaur)
    My question Is am I eligible to apply for the course or are they just gonna reject my application?

Email the Dept, explain your qualification/grades and ask them if this is enough for admission.

ReputationRep:
    With a Masters, entry can be flexible and different universities can have different criteria. Unis usually look for a final undergrad grade which is equivalent to a UK 2:1 (60-69.9% in many unis) or a First (70%+). After that, they may specify a particular subject for your undergraduate degree.

You need to do some research and maybe try to narrow down your choices to a manageable number which accept a History degree. You then need to contact each, explain your situation and get them to tell you whether they'd accept your application.

According to findamasters.com, there aren't many Masters which are just "Classical Archaeology". Newcastle's MA Greek and Roman Archaeology sounds just right and that accepts a History degree. Oxford has both an MA and MPhil Classical Archaeology but they specify an undergrad degree in Archaeology or Classics (Greek & Latin). Sheffield offer an MA Archaeology of the Classical Meditteranean, although that might stray away from Greece and Rome. They want a degree in "a relevant arts or humanities subject", which might make History acceptable.

Kent's MA Classical and Archaeological Studies wants Ancient History rather than History at undergrad. UCL's MA Mediterranean Archaeology might be worth looking at, as they specify a degree in Archaeology "or a related subject", so that might be negotiable with History - I suspect that might depend what was on your History degree syllabus. Also, that will cover North Africa and western Asia, not just the Greek and Roman topics implied by the "classical" title that you're seeking.

So it's well worth doing more investigation. http://www.findamasters.com/ is a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Both have been of great help :yes: yes im planning to apply to some Universities for an MA in Archaeology where a history degree would be accepted...I have mailed the Unis and they have encouraged me to apply so im hoping for the best.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.