Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a place at Kingston University for September studying Graphic Design. I was wondering what are the opinions on the accommodation? I want to be fairly central and don't mind shared bathroom, obviously cheaper the better.
    What are the pros and cos of each? which one do you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    look at the uni's accommodation website...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    look at the uni's accommodation website...
    Thanks but I have looked, I want a students point of view. Which one would be the best?/worth the money?/good situation?

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Kingston Bridge House in my first year and I loved it. You share 2 bathrooms and a kitchen between 5-7 people. It's a 5 minute walk from the town centre and a 15 minute walk from uni (if you're at Penrhyn Road or Knights Park that is). Middle Mill is quite near town and uni too but I don't have any experience of it there.

I've never been to the en-suite places but they're both nearer Surbiton town centre than Kingston and I think (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) about a 25 minute walk each from PR/KP campuses.

And obviously the Kingston Hill halls are at Kingston Hall campus and quite a way from the town centre, but graphic design is at Knights Park right?

If I were you I'd go for Middle Mill or Kingston Bridge House (Middle Mill is actually only about 2 mins away from KP) if you want cheap and are not fussed about having an en-suite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDavies)
    I stayed in Kingston Bridge House in my first year and I loved it. You share 2 bathrooms and a kitchen between 5-7 people. It's a 5 minute walk from the town centre and a 15 minute walk from uni (if you're at Penrhyn Road or Knights Park that is). Middle Mill is quite near town and uni too but I don't have any experience of it there.

I've never been to the en-suite places but they're both nearer Surbiton town centre than Kingston and I think (correct me if I'm wrong anybody) about a 25 minute walk each from PR/KP campuses.

And obviously the Kingston Hill halls are at Kingston Hall campus and quite a way from the town centre, but graphic design is at Knights Park right?

If I were you I'd go for Middle Mill or Kingston Bridge House (Middle Mill is actually only about 2 mins away from KP) if you want cheap and are not fussed about having an en-suite.
    thank you for your help. I was debating which one of those two really. Do u now anything about the budget one? I think it is called seething wells? Do u know how central it is? Are any of the halls close to each other?
    Thanks for your help though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boppyx1)
    thank you for your help. I was debating which one of those two really. Do u now anything about the budget one? I think it is called seething wells? Do u know how central it is? Are any of the halls close to each other?
    Thanks for your help though!
    The budget en-suites are in Seething Wells which is one of the two in Surbiton. I think they are flats of 6, 5 normal en-suites and one budget one, I don't know exactly how small they are. It is about a 25 minute walk from Knights Park though (but there is a free bus during term time), I just checked on Google maps to make sure I was right!

None of the halls are particularly close to eachother, the two en-suite ones are at opposite ends of Surbiton, Kingston Bridge House is in Hampton Wick (just over the bridge from Kingston town centre) and Middle Mill is right by the uni. When I applied I actually didn't get a choice between the two, I just had to choose either en-suite, standard or budget and be randomly assigned to one of them, that was two years ago though so they may have changed it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDavies)
    The budget en-suites are in Seething Wells which is one of the two in Surbiton. I think they are flats of 6, 5 normal en-suites and one budget one, I don't know exactly how small they are. It is about a 25 minute walk from Knights Park though (but there is a free bus during term time), I just checked on Google maps to make sure I was right!

None of the halls are particularly close to eachother, the two en-suite ones are at opposite ends of Surbiton, Kingston Bridge House is in Hampton Wick (just over the bridge from Kingston town centre) and Middle Mill is right by the uni. When I applied I actually didn't get a choice between the two, I just had to choose either en-suite, standard or budget and be randomly assigned to one of them, that was two years ago though so they may have changed it now.
    Ok thank you for your help! I wish we just got assigned randomly! I think that I may choose Kingston bridge.
    Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boppyx1)
    Ok thank you for your help! I wish we just got assigned randomly! I think that I may choose Kingston bridge.
    Thank you for your help!
    You're welcome, if you do choose KBH I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm currently in halls of residence at Seething Wells and I occupy a normal en-suite room, yes it may be en-suite, but the bathroom is literally like something on an aeroplane. My friend whose 6ft 5+ has a stool in the shower because he can't stand up!
    But anyway, it's a good halls of residence, obviously it's as loud as you'd expect it to be in the evening, you have a weekly cleaning rota where you're charged £18(removed from £300 initial deposit) if you don't do your job and there is a slight problem with silverfish!!!(google them if you hadn't heard of them before seeing them yourself like me).
    The rooms are a good size, cupboards aren't the biggest, so I recommend a hanging storage unit inside your cupboard if you have a lot of clothes, because it isn't the biggest space. The girl in the budget en-suite in my hallway is absolutely fine with her room, albeit that it's a bit smaller, but the only real difference is that you have less space to dance around in!

Clayhill Halls of Residence has it's problems too..
    http://www.riveronline.co.uk/news/st...clayhill-halls
    http://www.riveronline.co.uk/news/mo...alls-residence

My friend is a nursing student and lives at Kingston Bridge, apart from being on the top floor and when there are high winds causing her to fear for her life! She's generally really enjoyed herself there!

The uni bus service is generally on time, if you are able to download the Kingston uni app, then all of the info is on there.

I hope this has been of some help to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yesaneskimo)
    Hi there,

I'm currently in halls of residence at Seething Wells and I occupy a normal en-suite room, yes it may be en-suite, but the bathroom is literally like something on an aeroplane. My friend whose 6ft 5+ has a stool in the shower because he can't stand up!
    But anyway, it's a good halls of residence, obviously it's as loud as you'd expect it to be in the evening, you have a weekly cleaning rota where you're charged £18(removed from £300 initial deposit) if you don't do your job and there is a slight problem with silverfish!!!(google them if you hadn't heard of them before seeing them yourself like me).
    The rooms are a good size, cupboards aren't the biggest, so I recommend a hanging storage unit inside your cupboard if you have a lot of clothes, because it isn't the biggest space. The girl in the budget en-suite in my hallway is absolutely fine with her room, albeit that it's a bit smaller, but the only real difference is that you have less space to dance around in!

Clayhill Halls of Residence has it's problems too..
    http://www.riveronline.co.uk/news/st...clayhill-halls
    http://www.riveronline.co.uk/news/mo...alls-residence

My friend is a nursing student and lives at Kingston Bridge, apart from being on the top floor and when there are high winds causing her to fear for her life! She's generally really enjoyed herself there!

The uni bus service is generally on time, if you are able to download the Kingston uni app, then all of the info is on there.

I hope this has been of some help to you!
    Thank you this helps a lot! Looks like all of them are good but have their problems!

ReputationRep:
    To point out about clayhill it is the only university owned halls NOT run by the KUSCO (company set up by the university for maintenance etc).

ReputationRep:
    I lived in the iQ Wave halls during my first year, as I was lucky enough to be offered a room there. While it is quite a bit more expensive than other Kingston halls, it is a great place to live. I met great people there, some of whom I still live with now in my third and penultimate year in Kingston.

I lived in one of the shared flats, as opposed to the studio flats. The shared kitchen is really modern and comes with sofas and a coffee table - very comfortable and homely.
    All the rooms are en-suite, with a little pod-like bathroom.
    There is also a cleaning rota, but most weeks this isn't checked - only occasionally. At the end of the year, they check your room and kitchen to make sure there isn't any damage. As long as you've been pretty sensible, you won't get any fines.
    It's staffed 24/7 by staff and security guards. There is also a common room with Sky TV, DVD players, really comfortable sofas & chairs, a pool table and vending machines.
    It's also a fantastically convenient location - it's right in the centre of town, a short walk from the train station, some rooms have river views, Penrhyn Road & Knights Park campuses are only about a 10/15 minute walk away - or you can get a bus from just across the road. The uni bus stop for buses to Kingston Hill & Roehampton Vale is only a short walk away too.

Some friends of mine who lived in Middle Mill & Clayhill complained about bad mould in their rooms and nothing being done about it. As a result, they got quite ill. At least with iQ, it's new & you won't get ill during studies.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

just a question to people who share bathrooms in Kingston halls - what do the bathrooms consist of? I've had a look at the virtual tours on the website which showed a shower but no toilet or sink. Is this normal and if so where are the loos?!

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know if there are any time limits as to when to return at night to the halls of residence?
    I am more of a night person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vaibhav2psp)
    I would like to know if there are any time limits as to when to return at night to the halls of residence?
    I am more of a night person
    No, there aren't any limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seaton)
    No, there aren't any limits.
    Oh awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareramos)
    To point out about clayhill it is the only university owned halls NOT run by the KUSCO (company set up by the university for maintenance etc).
    And it shows. >_>
    I had no hot water for the majority of the year, and if you were planning on staying somewhere else on a Wednesday night, forget it - there's no sign-out sheet like for the other halls: instant £18 charge for not cleaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaKinsey274)
    Hi everyone

just a question to people who share bathrooms in Kingston halls - what do the bathrooms consist of? I've had a look at the virtual tours on the website which showed a shower but no toilet or sink. Is this normal and if so where are the loos?!

Thankyou
    I wasn't in halls but visited friends at Middle Mill quite often. The flats I used to visit had two separate toilets and then a shower room.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi everyone,

I'm a current Kingston student answering question for Kingston this week.

I was in halls in my first year, I stay in Clayhill which is near to surbiton and about a 15 minutes walk from campus. However if you son't feel like walking theres a free uni bus service, the KU1 goes from seething wells to Kingston hill, the KU2 goes does a cirlce route including Clayhill, Knights park, Penhryn Road and surbiton.

In Clayhill 4 people share a flat and each person has an en suite room. Its got 24 hr security, a massive field and a communial lounge by reception. The rooms are an alright size, if you get room 1 then your room is bigger than your other flat mates but your bathroom is a little smaller, in the grand scheme of things thats no real loss.

For me, my flat felt like a little family because there were only a few of us but we regularly use to hang out with people in other blocks.

Clayhill sits in the middle of a residential area so sometimes you have to be a little bit considerate for those living near by however its means you don't have to put up with the noise of regular traffic. The only traffic you'll hear are delivery scooters and the train.

There is a cleaning rota and if you don't do your job your charged about £18, sometimes they give you a chance to do it rather than automatically charging you. Also DO NOT LOSE YOU KEYS! I'm serious, they charge you roughly £100 (maybe more) because they have to replace 3 locks and give everyone in the block new keys. Treasure you keys, even when you pop to the kitchen or to answer the phone, the doors automatically lock because they're fire doors. I've had to wander to reception in pjs because I got locked out making a cup of tea.

All in all, I really enjoyed halls. I had a lot fun and made a lot of friends and seeing as its your first taste of living away from home its great at easing you into being independant. Although I couldn't stay there any longer than I did. At the end of my first year I felt like I had done enough of the halls experience and just wanted my own space.

Emma, BA Fine art

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingston University)
    Hi everyone,

I'm a current Kingston student answering question for Kingston this week.

I was in halls in my first year, I stay in Clayhill which is near to surbiton and about a 15 minutes walk from campus. However if you son't feel like walking theres a free uni bus service, the KU1 goes from seething wells to Kingston hill, the KU2 goes does a cirlce route including Clayhill, Knights park, Penhryn Road and surbiton.

In Clayhill 4 people share a flat and each person has an en suite room. Its got 24 hr security, a massive field and a communial lounge by reception. The rooms are an alright size, if you get room 1 then your room is bigger than your other flat mates but your bathroom is a little smaller, in the grand scheme of things thats no real loss.

For me, my flat felt like a little family because there were only a few of us but we regularly use to hang out with people in other blocks.

Clayhill sits in the middle of a residential area so sometimes you have to be a little bit considerate for those living near by however its means you don't have to put up with the noise of regular traffic. The only traffic you'll hear are delivery scooters and the train.

There is a cleaning rota and if you don't do your job your charged about £18, sometimes they give you a chance to do it rather than automatically charging you. Also DO NOT LOSE YOU KEYS! I'm serious, they charge you roughly £100 (maybe more) because they have to replace 3 locks and give everyone in the block new keys. Treasure you keys, even when you pop to the kitchen or to answer the phone, the doors automatically lock because they're fire doors. I've had to wander to reception in pjs because I got locked out making a cup of tea.

All in all, I really enjoyed halls. I had a lot fun and made a lot of friends and seeing as its your first taste of living away from home its great at easing you into being independant. Although I couldn't stay there any longer than I did. At the end of my first year I felt like I had done enough of the halls experience and just wanted my own space.

Emma, BA Fine art
    Thankyou so much this was really useful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.