Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    sometimes no matter how hard you try revise, you completely fail your exams and you feel like giving up. at school/college, we are constantly told to work towards our summer exams but you feel tired/not bothered. from September to june, all we do is go school, revise, do exams and quite importantly - having a social life. its kind of like the only purpose of our generation is to go school and do our exams. then after that go uni and get a job. its pretty much our lives summed into a few sentences. am I right?

ReputationRep:
    that's how they tell you to live. What would you like to do differently?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think "your" generation is any different to any other generation?

ReputationRep:
    That's the way it has always been, and how education works.

ReputationRep:
    Labour markets over the world are increasing integrated, so workers are easier to find and fire. Technology is continually wiping out jobs, for those of us born after from the early 80s onward getting a job and supporting yourself is increasingly difficult and competitive. Thus are generation will have to work much harder then previous ones, therefore thier is going to be a grater emphasis and pressure to perform academically.

ReputationRep:
    Depressing, isn't it? I'm seriously considering doing an 'Into the Wild'. I don't think I can stand 50 years sat in front of a desk doing something I don't care about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naseem hossen)
    sometimes no matter how hard you try revise, you completely fail your exams and you feel like giving up. at school/college, we are constantly told to work towards our summer exams but you feel tired/not bothered. from September to june, all we do is go school, revise, do exams and quite importantly - having a social life. its kind of like the only purpose of our generation is to go school and do our exams. then after that go uni and get a job. its pretty much our lives summed into a few sentences. am I right?
    What is this nonsense? Exams should be made harder not easier. I got full marks (120/120) on one of my A2 exams which I did barely any revision for (as I was focusing on other subjects).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Depressing, isn't it? I'm seriously considering doing an 'Into the Wild'. I don't think I can stand 50 years sat in front of a desk doing something I don't care about.
    Then pick something you care about, it's not rocket science.

Unless it is rocket science, obviously!

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of our generation is to slave away to repair the flagrant mistakes of the baby boomers, and to build a new socioeconomic paradigm based on having a nice time rather than trying to rinse each other for money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukev)
    Then pick something you care about, it's not rocket science.

Unless it is rocket science, obviously!
    So few people can find a job that they actually care about. Most people have to take what is available and then spend most of the life wishing away most of their time. It's sad that's that's all there is to life. There's got to be another way.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it's not easy, but as you say there is another way. That's why at 34 I had an epiphany and quit a highly paid IT management role in order to retrain as a paramedic.
    The only thing stopping people reaching their aims is themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    What is this nonsense? Exams should be made harder not easier. I got full marks (120/120) on one of my A2 exams which I did barely any revision for (as I was focusing on other subjects).
    Therefore it should be applied to everybody for every exam?

Surely anybody who is clearly as intellectually superior as yourself should know that's stupid.

It's easy enough for people saying 'Do something you enjoy'. But what is there? if there's nothing obvious that you enjoy then what?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=naseem hossen;41960271]sometimes no matter how hard you try revise, you completely fail your exams and you feel like giving up. at school/college, we are constantly told to work towards our summer exams but you feel tired/not bothered. from September to june, all we do is go school, revise, do exams and quite importantly - having a social life. its kind of like the only purpose of our generation is to go school and do our exams. then after that go uni and get a job. its pretty much our lives summed into a few sentences. am I right?[/QUO

After school, nothing is stopping you from living the way you want to, Though what exactly other alternative life can you think/ want to be doing that does not involve having a job?

ReputationRep:
    I read it from Bertrand Russell that we don't need to work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.