Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

i was just wondering if anyone currently doing chemistry and biology at a level could just give me a brief description of what its like, what you do and how you find it. I know this may be a bit tedious, but i would really appreciate it. I hope to study medicine so any help or advice would be awesome.

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richy64)
    hi guys,

i was just wondering if anyone currently doing chemistry and biology at a level could just give me a brief description of what its like, what you do and how you find it. I know this may be a bit tedious, but i would really appreciate it. I hope to study medicine so any help or advice would be awesome.

thanks x
    Chem AS is not too hard - the A2 is said to be more challenging though.
    Bio, I find ecology and the like dull so the A2 won't be fun but the AS is interesting enough - if you like biochemistry and human biology.

ReputationRep:
    both very interesting, AS biology is a lot easier than chemistry which i found hard all throgh A level and A2 is really time-consuming especially the individual investigation. Biology is quite boring with the plant stuff but the DNA, viruses, bacterial, geneic diseases are the best part imo. Both need a lot of work put in to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    Bio and chem are really great subjects to take together as they complement each other well and some of the material overlaps.
    I loved AS chem, it's very straightforward and not very wordy which made it easy to revise. A2 chem is MUCH harder (lots of maths in the last module and a few more complicated topics!) but as long as you work hard, then it is certainly possible to do well!
    I've loved AS and A2 bio (but it has always been my fave subject!) and you get to cover a wide range of topics. There is a lot, and I mean a LOT, of information to remember and understand and also if you are with OCR, they love to ask really weird and difficult application questions in the exam! Once again though, as long as you work hard to know everything on the spec and are also willing to read around the subject, you should do fine
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks guys, what subjects are you taking with bio and chem? and also from what i understand the step up from gcse is massive so i am willing to work hard and understand the amount and difficulty of some of the work.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo, I do both biology and chemistry. I enjoy them both a lot. Biology is slightly easier than chemistry (but don't confuse that with "easy" - neither are easy!), or so I've found. Chemistry started off straightforward but has been getting steadily more difficult towards the end of the AS-level. Can't say I'm finding organic chemistry very interesting but I've enjoyed the subject so far. Biology is great, all of it's been interesting so far.

I'm also doing physics and maths, the whole lot goes together very well. Physics is definitely more challenging than both biology and chemistry but very rewarding when you understand it. And maths... is maths, it's challenging in parts but overall I've found it's not too bad. It's just not very interesting, not to me anyway. If you're willing to put the work in then they're rewarding subjects. They require a LOT of work but it's so worth it.

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks very much. I hope to study english lit and history with biology and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Biology has a lot to learn but it's really interesting, chemistry seems hard at first but gets better and is quite fun especially if you like puzzles and math

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.