The Student Room Group

Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito to face retrial for murder of Meredith Kercher

So, the italian high court has ruled the pair are to face a retrial over the killing in 2007 Meredith Kercher, Italy's highest court has ruled. Not really surprised about this, this was always in the offing given their psuedo-acquittal of the murder was based on technicality

It is actually quite interesting that the couurt is saying that the acquittals were "contradictory and illogical". Oh Italy, you never cease to amaze.

Would be interested to see how this pans out and how the world reacts when the US don't adhere to Italy's request to extradict Amanda Knox.
Reply 1
I am not all that surprised. There is all the possibility that Amanda and/or Rafael are innocent but I don't see the harm in a retrial - it could help provide evidence which is sufficient to once again acquit them or actually sentence them. As long as the retrial is for justice and not just a showtrial I don't see the issue.
Reply 2
Not really surprised since I seem to remember the prosecution talking about appealing straight after the ruling
This whole trial is moronic, there is no DNA evidence, no motive, no reliable witnesses and no murder weapon. Unless the Italian prosecution have magically put together a half decent case she will not be extradited as they have no chance of showing any where near the accepted amount of proof required by the US.
Original post by Darth Stewie
This whole trial is moronic, there is no DNA evidence, no motive, no reliable witnesses and no murder weapon. Unless the Italian prosecution have magically put together a half decent case she will not be extradited as they have no chance of showing any where near the accepted amount of proof required by the US.

I used to think they were guilty, but having read more into the subject in recent years, examined the various issues as reported and so on, it's becoming clear to me that their arrest, charges and trial are an utter travesty of justice that could not possibly have been allowed to come forwards in the UK or any other country that does not have such a shambolic, gung-ho and rush-to-judgement approach to policing. It's not surprising they have so many 'second looks' at their verdicts in the Italian system, given how deeply flawed it is in the first place.

I would urge Amanda Knox not to return, as it isn't a modern justice system that is fit for purpose - I hope the US courts don't force her extradition.
Reply 5
Let's not forget that Meredith Kercher was brutally Stabbed to death in an alleged sex game that went wrong. It may not have been deliberate but there is a strong suggestion of the involvement of Amanda and Raffaele. I don't know if they are Killers but the case is tragical. A retrial will ease the mind of the parents of the dead girl, Meredith Kercher and there is still a doubt on the innocence of both parties when Meredith was Knifed to death. It is unknown if the pair are guilty of the Murder but new evidence may surface from the Italian Prosecution service as they are searching for justice for the victim
Even if they find Knox guilty she won't go back there. The only way she'll serve her sentence is if she is extradited back there by the US. I wonder what the likelihood is of that happening.
Anyway the Italian legal system ****ed it up once already, whose to say they won't do it again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending