Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    So can anyone help with scly2 education and research methods. Basically a general lay out on how to answer the questions / structure essays - start middle conclusion etc for this exam/ anything relevant.
    I'm self teaching it and its kinda hard lol well ATM it is anyway!
    Hope someone can help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissie19913)
    Hi there,
    So can anyone help with scly2 education and research methods. Basically a general lay out on how to answer the questions / structure essays - start middle conclusion etc for this exam/ anything relevant.
    I'm self teaching it and its kinda hard lol well ATM it is anyway!
    Hope someone can help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    think of PET.

Practical
    Ethical
    Theoretical.

Think of the advantages/disadvantages for the research method and ensure you link it to the actual topic.
    Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    ^^ That's the best advice you can give for methods in context. If you follow PET, you will hands down get full marks on that question.

Otherwise for the Education part (and this works for Beliefs and C&D too), I always think to make a point (e.g. Gewirtz says...) then evaluate that with a point made by another sociologist against it, then if possible, a point supporting the first sociologist. So you have a back and forth - what my teacher calls the "Vicky Pollard" (yeah/but no/but yeah/but no).

If you do that all the way through, you have equal amounts of AO1 and AO2 marks.

For methods it works in the same way, but make a point about a strength of the method, then evaluate with a weakness, then another strength.
    For example: "Questionnaires can reach a wide area as they can be posted across great distances, meaning a large sample can be studied and the data stands a higher chance of being representative. However, questionnaires usually have a low response rate meaning that this strength may not necessarily be true. Although there is a possible issue here, a low response rate in a questionnaire usually still returns a larger amount of data than most other methods."

One last thing: Try and get your essay to "flow" by linking the paragraphs together.
    For example: Paragraph 1 - Point For/Point Against ... Paragraph 2 - Point For relating to the against from Para 1/Point Against. etc.

Also try and use the phrase "this means" wherever possible (it shows you explaining clearly). Sorry if any of this is a bit muddled, I'm currently studying for Unit 4 so I'm a bit rusty on education and I found it difficult to put my essay method into words. Hope it helps.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.