Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My son is at an international school in Spain. He is bi lingual. English/Spanish. He is also exceptional at French. He wants to an mfl degree French/Spanish. However, he doesn't want to be a translator or a teacher. What courses are available, at degree level, that he could combine his language skills with another subject, to help him get a carreer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    His maths & English are a B. However A* in the humanitites in Spanish. A/A* biology, chemistry & geography. A* Spanish & French. His time table doesn't allow him to do history. He has yet to do his GCSE's! However, he wants a career using his language skills. We just don't know what courses are available apart from a straight mfl degree. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Literally any graduate job?

ReputationRep:
    Not literally any!! He doesn't want to teach/translate. I'm just trying to work out what he can study at uni along with studying 2 languages. International law? International business?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, if he is bilingual, why would he want to study Spanish at a British university? Courses are generally not aimed at native standard speakers. Secondly, unlike Spain, there is not much correlation between degree and career choice in the UK. You do not need a Law degree to be a lawyer. You do not need a Computing degree to work in IT. You do not need a Marketing degree to work in Marketing etc. With an MFL degree, you can work in pretty much any sector apart from a few obvious jobs such as Dentist or Doctor. Most language degrees involve the study of two languages or one language and one Arts, Business or Law based subject.

ReputationRep:
    Because he wants to go to uni in the UK, live & work in the UK. And he can't do an mfl degree in Spain. I know a lot of bilingual students studying sttaight mfl language degrees. I just think an mfl degree on itd own is prohibitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia Jane)
    Because he wants to go to uni in the UK, live & work in the UK. And he can't do an mfl degree in Spain. I know a lot of bilingual students studying sttaight mfl language degrees. I just think an mfl degree on itd own is prohibitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

I just graduated from QMUL with a French degree. I am on a teaching course now.

Many of my course mates went on to working for banks, working in tourism, working for companies which operate in several countries, quite a few went on to do Masters courses.

The fact that language degrees don't lead into a specific job is, in my opinion, a good thing. It will leave your son's career options wide open at the end of the course. As a language graduate, he will have an edge over graduates from other courses because of the skills you gain. Languages are a huge advantage when it comes to recruitment in the UK.

If he wanted to split with another course, business is a popular choice, although by no means essential for gaining employment in a multi-national corporation.

Good luck to your son, and don't hesitate to contact me privately if you (or your son) need any advice about language courses or anything like that

ReputationRep:
    My son is at an international school in Spain. He is bi lingual. English/Spanish. He is also exceptional at French. He wants to an mfl degree French/Spanish. However, he doesn't want to be a translator or a teacher. What courses are available, at degree level, that he could combine his language skills with another subject, to help him get a carreer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

I have to say, I agree with standream : there's really no point in studying Spanish as part of his degree if he's bilingual :/ he will get bored in class and it will just be weird. I'm bilingual French/Italian, it's as if I wanted to study one of these languages as a foreign language in a uni abroad, it doesn't make much sense.. And that wouldn't impress any employer I guess. If he want to study Spanish at his level, in my opinion he should stay in Spain ... there's really no point in going to uni in the UK for that.
    Although, studying French is a good idea, if he's not fluent already. A language degree doesn't prepare for a specific career, but it offers many possibilities after graduation as someone said earlier. He can also study French along with another subject he enjoys, maybe something more career-specific if he already knows what kind of job he wants to do. What is he interested in apart from languages ? Law, maths,business, management, History, politics, economics, neuroscience...? The possibilities are infinite. He should use the course search tool on UCAS to see which universities offer courses he might like, then look on the universities websites.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your son's decision to study Spanish in the UK (as a fluent Spanish speaker) is almost completely illogical, and many universities would not in any case accept him onto a Spanish course.

It's as absurd an idea as a native English speaker going to Spain to do an English degree- a pointless waste of time and tantamount to cheating.

If your study wants to study Spanish as a first language, he should do so in Spain (i.e the equivalent of studying English at a UK university). If he wants to study a second (i.e foreign) language in combination with another subject, then there are hundreds of different combinations to choose from at various British universities.

Also, why do you think it's not possible to study MFL in Spain? Plenty of Spanish universities have departments of 'Filologia'.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the people saying that if your son is completely fluent in Spanish that he should not do a Spanish degree in the UK. He would be studying basic Spanish language surrounded by English students at a much lower level than him. If he really wants to study languages, he should study French and a new language like Italian or German. Maybe even Chinese.

Also, there are many subjects that he could study alongside languages. Manchester even offers science with a modern language as a degree. Other popular options include business, marketing and politics.

However, back to the point you make about MFL degrees being exclusive...I don't think that's the case. If you study MFL, you automatically study the culture and history of that country too. Plus, it will open the door to many jobs like tourism, writing, editing, publishing, marketing, recruiting, organizing logistics, diplomacy, politics etc.. without another subject added onto it and those are just jobs that may require languages. All other mainstream grad schemes for companies will accept graduates with any degree so his subject will not limit him any more than studying any other humanities subject. In fact, pushing him to study languages with a vocational subject leading to a job he doesn't want will limit him even more.

Also, he still has plenty of time to decide what degree to study. He hasn't even done his GCSEs yet and when the time is right, he should do his own research.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of studying Spanish when he already is fluent, I recommend combining it with a business subject. This will greatly increase his job prospects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.