Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :mad:
    Since yesterday my iMac has been telling me that I'm low on available application memory and asks me to close down some open apps (I normally have photoshop or word open for work, then firefox, mail and spotify) so I didn't think much of it and closed down spotify and photoshop as I guessed they'd be using up a lot of memory...

Today it's telling me I have no memory available and I only have firefox open with 10 tabs open (half articles I need to print off, two photography pages, and then a couple of tabs relating to tsr)

sooo, what's up with my iMac? Is the memory full, should I delete apps, or some of the stuff that I have on my desktop, I have a lot of photos as I take photography at university, but I'd have thought my computer would have more than enough space on it to store about 4GB worth of photos...

It has been running slower and slower since I got it. (it's a refubished, late 2009 24" iMac running on 10.7.5)

Quite clearly I don't know much about computers, so would really appreciate some suggestions.

In the meantime I'll go through my apps and see what I can delete.

T

ReputationRep:
    This is a RAM issue not a Storage Capacity(HDD) issue, your ram cache will clear on reboot so it must be background processes filling it up.

How old is you Mac? it could be that it being an older model, it isnt fully capable of running the newer OS with out upgrading a little.

ReputationRep:
    Get a PC with a lot of ram, say 16gb. Or you will need to buy a new imac...

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...ac/family/imac

ReputationRep:
    Or upgrade your ram http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1423#1

ReputationRep:
    You can update the RAM on your iMac for around £30 and takes about 5 minutes to do. Go on www.crucial.com/uk and it'll tell you all the available options for RAM for your 2009 iMac.
    I have a late 2011 one and I upgraded it from 4GB to 12GB for about £27

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharp910sh)

A)thats far to extreme 8gb max for the amount of load its under, 16gb=major overkill and waste of money.

B)why by an entire new mac when a stick of ram cost £30-£40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themightysals)
    A)thats far to extreme 8gb max for the amount of load its under, 16gb=major overkill and waste of money.

The imac is sooo poor. The 3.06 GHz (E7600) Intel Core 2 Duo is soo slow. The OP must be in pain with that imac. Its 2013.

ReputationRep:
    The imac is sooo poor. The 3.06 GHz (E7600) Intel Core 2 Duo is soo slow. The OP must be in pain with that imac. Its 2013.

Yeah poor for the enthusiast, for the average user its more than enough :L not everyone wants to bench crysis 3 on ultra :L

ReputationRep:
    This is a RAM issue not a Storage Capacity(HDD) issue, your ram cache will clear on reboot so it must be background processes filling it up.

How old is you Mac? it could be that it being an older model, it isnt fully capable of running the newer OS with out upgrading a little.
    I'm not sure whether I have the 2009 slightly newer one. I don't think it's any newer than the 2011 one. Name:  Screen Shot 2013-03-26 at 12.14.57.png
Views: 154
Size:  26.1 KB

I've attached a screen grab of what it says when I click about mac, it'll probably tell you all more than me!!

That's out of the question. I am kinda sold on imacs over PC's now. Will all the editing work, I'm just happier using a mac now. Might think about getting the RAM upgraded, just need to find out how... Halp!

(Original post by 747-400)
    You can update the RAM on your iMac for around £30 and takes about 5 minutes to do. Go on www.crucial.com/uk and it'll tell you all the available options for RAM for your 2009 iMac.
    I have a late 2011 one and I upgraded it from 4GB to 12GB for about £27
    Ok, mine is a 4GB, if it'll run better on a 12GB I'll be happy. I got it about 6 months ago, it was only used for a year lightly, still had the plasic covering on the screen and everything, absolutely flawless and lightening fast. Now it's running a bit like a dog. I do use it quite a lot for a lot of photo editing, I don't watch videos on it. Gets a lot of spotify use but I'd doubt that'd do too much damage.

Is there anything I can do in the short term to help speed things up a little. I've rebooted, which is helping however I only have this tab open and nothing else at all. Will deleting a lot of my files help for a short while at least until I get my loan next month?

Would it be possible to breakdown the difference between the different memories I have, and what it is that's gone wrong? Why I can only have 8 not 16gb and so on and so forth. Sorry to be a pain. And I will try googling again, but this is a little comfusing to a bit of a tech noob. I've only had the internet at home for 18 months.

*sheltered life at home*

ReputationRep:
    Ok, mine is a 4GB, if it'll run better on a 12GB I'll be happy. I got it about 6 months ago, it was only used for a year lightly, still had the plasic covering on the screen and everything, absolutely flawless and lightening fast. Now it's running a bit like a dog. I do use it quite a lot for a lot of photo editing, I don't watch videos on it. Gets a lot of spotify use but I'd doubt that'd do too much damage.

Is there anything I can do in the short term to help speed things up a little. I've rebooted, which is helping however I only have this tab open and nothing else at all. Will deleting a lot of my files help for a short while at least until I get my loan next month?
    Yeah it should run quicker, like boot up faster and be able to cope with more programmes at once. Even if you only upgraded to 8GB, it should still make a huge difference.

Deleting files won't do anything as they are stored in your Hard Drive, 128GB, 256GB, 500GB or whatever yours may be.
    The issue you are having is with another set of memory called RAM.
    Basically, RAM is what all computers need to be able to run programmes etc.
    So deleting stuff won't make the blindest bit of difference, that will only give you more storage memory which is not your problem.
    I think the only thing you could do is upgrade the RAM so you can use the programmes you wish to use. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    All you will need then is another 4gb stick and youll be good to go! depends the amount of slot you have, how muhc you are willing to pay,

most likely you have two slots and 16gb in the of mac mem will be expensive, another 4gb stick wont come to much atall probably £20-£30 and by the sounds of things will cover all your usage fine!

ReputationRep:
    Is it that bad? It ran like a dream when I first had it. Obviously I'm not an enthusiast of computers, but it did do everything I asked of it really really quickly. I've not been in pain with it until yesterday actually. It works as nicely as the new ones at uni. The display isn't as nice but that's about it. But as I say, I'm not using it as someone into computers, so I guess it doesn't really compare.

My partner has the last macbook pro, not the newer one, and my imac left it standing in the water most of the time. Although, that might not mean a lot...

I'll be quiet now, and listen...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it should run quicker, like boot up faster and be able to cope with more programmes at once. Even if you only upgraded to 8GB, it should still make a huge difference.

Deleting files won't do anything as they are stored in your Hard Drive, 128GB, 256GB, 500GB or whatever yours may be.
    The issue you are having is with another set of memory called RAM.
    Basically, RAM is what all computers need to be able to run programmes etc.
    So deleting stuff won't make the blindest bit of difference, that will only give you more storage memory which is not your problem.
    I think the only thing you could do is upgrade the RAM so you can use the programmes you wish to use. Hope this helps!
    Ahh I see! Thank you! I'll look into upgrading the RAM then, I'm pretty sure my better half could see to it, but he's busy when I need him! Where would I get the thing I need to upgrade it... And the stupidest question of them all... Where does it go? More out of curiosity than anything. I imagine my picture of a USB stick is probably wong...

Feel free to laugh at my ignorance of the 21st century! Many find it funny on a day to day basis!

Thanks for the advice again

PS. I see you're from the East Midlands. Anywhere near Burton on Trent at all? I live in Birmingham now, but miss the East a lot, goodness knows why, it's not as if they're far apart or look that different.

ReputationRep:
    That link is helpful. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letitia)
    Ahh I see! Thank you! I'll look into upgrading the RAM then, I'm pretty sure my better half could see to it, but he's busy when I need him! Where would I get the thing I need to upgrade it... And the stupidest question of them all... Where does it go? More out of curiosity than anything. I imagine my picture of a USB stick is probably wong...

Feel free to laugh at my ignorance of the 21st century! Many find it funny on a day to day basis!

Thanks for the advice again
    I got mine from http://www.crucial.com/uk/
    All you have to do is put in the make, model and year of your computer and it'll tell you which RAM you are able to buy for it.
    And to change mine I went on YouTube and watched a video, all I had to do was unscrew a tiny panel at the bottom of my iMac and pull out the existing RAM, there is a tab you pull to get it out, and then I slotted the new one in and it was done just like that.

ReputationRep:
    PS. I see you're from the East Midlands. Anywhere near Burton on Trent at all? I live in Birmingham now, but miss the East a lot, goodness knows why, it's not as if they're far apart or look that different.
    No I'm from Nottinghamshire. Bet Birmingham is quite a contrast from East Mids!

ReputationRep:
    No I'm from Nottinghamshire. Bet Birmingham is quite a contrast from East Mids!
    I was going to go to Nottingham uni, but failed my A Levels spectacularly. It's a lovely city, had a couple of good nights out there too.

I think the West is a lot different to the East, but people don't seem to think so when I say that. I find Birmingham is certainly more diverse than where I came from. Plus there isn't a lot of green space near me.

It'd be nice to move somewhere in the middle one day though. I've fond memories of Lichfield city, only 20 minutes from my hometown and family, and the same to Birmingham. It's a lot prettier too. Seems Birmingham got hit with the ugly stick compared to the architecture in Nottingham and staffordshire. (Redbrick buildings excluded)

ReputationRep:
    :mad:
    Since yesterday my iMac has been telling me that I'm low on available application memory and asks me to close down some open apps (I normally have photoshop or word open for work, then firefox, mail and spotify) so I didn't think much of it and closed down spotify and photoshop as I guessed they'd be using up a lot of memory...

Today it's telling me I have no memory available and I only have firefox open with 10 tabs open (half articles I need to print off, two photography pages, and then a couple of tabs relating to tsr)

sooo, what's up with my iMac? Is the memory full, should I delete apps, or some of the stuff that I have on my desktop, I have a lot of photos as I take photography at university, but I'd have thought my computer would have more than enough space on it to store about 4GB worth of photos...

It has been running slower and slower since I got it. (it's a refubished, late 2009 24" iMac running on 10.7.5)

Quite clearly I don't know much about computers, so would really appreciate some suggestions.

In the meantime I'll go through my apps and see what I can delete.

T
    Open it up and check the ram slots, check its dust free and installed properly.
    May consider upgrading, but dont go through Apple they'll rip you off

ReputationRep:
    Is it that bad? It ran like a dream when I first had it. Obviously I'm not an enthusiast of computers, but it did do everything I asked of it really really quickly. I've not been in pain with it until yesterday actually. It works as nicely as the new ones at uni. The display isn't as nice but that's about it. But as I say, I'm not using it as someone into computers, so I guess it doesn't really compare.

My partner has the last macbook pro, not the newer one, and my imac left it standing in the water most of the time. Although, that might not mean a lot...

I'll be quiet now, and listen...
    I lie. Looking at the screenshot. Its not even 3.06Ghz the 2.66 GHz (E8135) Intel Core 2 Duo. Very slow. It is not a surprise your imac is so slow. That processor is very old.

If you cannot afford a new £1000+ imac just update the ram and start saving for a new imac!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.