Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    In my sixth form application, I have applied for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, however I am considering changing chemistry for economics.

I plan on either going into science or finance in the future, but cannot decide as yet, I'd just like some advice on what to do.

How much would I keep my options open in the future if I changed to economics?
    How much would chemistry benefit me?
    What do universities think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mradamjclarke)
    In my sixth form application, I have applied for Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, however I am considering changing chemistry for economics.

I plan on either going into science or finance in the future, but cannot decide as yet, I'd just like some advice on what to do.

Hm. If you're planning on something science-y, it'd be good to have two sciences (This being said, you do have Maths so that shouldn't matter). However, if you're also planning on the alternative being Finance, Economics would also be good. But Economics isn't a prerequisite for any Finance course (as far as I am aware), so you wouldn't limit your options if you elected to take Chemistry. Choose whichever one you feel you'll get the best grade in.

Both Economics and Chemistry are very respected and valued.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Do whichever you find more interesting, and leave the other subject as a backup incase you decide it isnt for you.
    I do economics and find it fairly straight forward, though i hear chemistry is one of the hardest a levels. But if you want to go to a finance/business course, your current AS are fine, since economics isnt usually a REQUIRED subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should take economics if you are certain you won't go into any chemistry related. It's fun learning about the 'thinking' behind economically related current affairs. It will also broaden your choices too, should you decide to go into finance instead of science and although economics isn't necessarily a prerequisite, it's certainly very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Economics requires less work and carries less frustration than Chemistry, plus its a great advantage to have if you consider going into finance. And it's more interesting/relevant/practical.

ReputationRep:
    I can say that chemistry is the more difficult choice, but considering you're doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics then I'd say chemistry compliments these more than economics would.

You say you want to go into finance? Chemistry is probably more numerical than economics (at A level at least).

Thats my two shillings and a crown, but to be honest - you should do what you personally think is best. If you believe economics would be the more suitable choice to do finance in the future, then I'd stick to that decision. I don't think it would make a huge difference deciding between A level Economics or A level Chemistry.

University level chemistry however........... that's a different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say chemistry if you want to go into science and you don't need economics to study it at university or go into finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say pick the one you think you'd enjoy the most. After seeing half my class fail the January chemistry exam and a lot of people dropping out of the subject half way through the year, I'd say chemistry is something you have to like. :-)

ReputationRep:
    I think Chemistry because...

You can keep your science routes (chem specific as well) open.

You can apply for economics as I've heard they prefer maths and f.maths to maths and econ.

ReputationRep:

I was in the exact same position as you last year, and I went for economics. I have to say - personally, if I were given a chance now to make the decision all over again, I would go for Chemistry instead. I'm a much more maths/science oriented person, and the exam technique dependent nature of Economics exams doesn't quite appeal to me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, you've made it clearer to me that taking chemistry wouldn't shut off the finance side completely, although economics would benefit it. However, I do think I'd be more likely to enjoy economics more and I would probably go into finance and economics rather than science, therefore economics is the one for me! Thanks again for the help.

ReputationRep:
    I know you've already resolved the issue, but just felt like I ought to add my bit.

I'm in Y12, and used to do AS Chemistry. I took it because I enjoyed it, and I got an A* at GCSE. It changes considerably at A Level, and despite thoroughly revising the syllabus and exam technique, as well as doing all of the past papers, I ended up with a U grade. I've never failed anything before so it came as quite a shock to be honest.

Economics, on the other hand, is very enjoyable. The workload is far more manageable, and there's less to learn. Despite this, it's still considered one of the most respected subjects, equally alongside Chemistry. I think it'd give you a broader range to your studies, and, even though finance doesn't require Economics, you'd be highly valued for having it as an A Level.

The one downside is that the exams (not sure about other boards but definitely for Edexcel) are essay-based. Expect to be answering 30 mark essays in 30 minutes. If writing isn't really your thing, go with the Chemistry, but base your final judgement on enjoyment as that's something that is key at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megantrace)
    I know you've already resolved the issue, but just felt like I ought to add my bit.

I'm in Y12, and used to do AS Chemistry. I took it because I enjoyed it, and I got an A* at GCSE. It changes considerably at A Level, and despite thoroughly revising the syllabus and exam technique, as well as doing all of the past papers, I ended up with a U grade. I've never failed anything before so it came as quite a shock to be honest.

Economics, on the other hand, is very enjoyable. The workload is far more manageable, and there's less to learn. Despite this, it's still considered one of the most respected subjects, equally alongside Chemistry. I think it'd give you a broader range to your studies, and, even though finance doesn't require Economics, you'd be highly valued for having it as an A Level.

The one downside is that the exams (not sure about other boards but definitely for Edexcel) are essay-based. Expect to be answering 30 mark essays in 30 minutes. If writing isn't really your thing, go with the Chemistry, but base your final judgement on enjoyment as that's something that is key at A Level.
    I very highly doubt you were revising properly if you came out with a U, especially coming from an A* at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Definitely take chemistry. You can still study economics with those a levels and they are also the best combination for maths/chem/phys/engineering etc.

Also, if you wish to go into finance many firms recruit people from those fields, not specifically economics graduates.

Don't let people fool you into thinking chemistry is the hardest a level ever. AS is actually very simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    I very highly doubt you were revising properly if you came out with a U, especially coming from an A* at gcse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More a case of a lack of enthusiasm for the subject, actually. Terrible teacher who never turns up too, I think a maximum of 6/20 in our hardworking class managed to pass Chemistry. Perhaps I'm basing my argument upon my own experience though.

No need to go on the attack about not revising properly. Clearly I must've been revising well as I got a high A grade for the Geography paper I sat 4 days later. I'm not here to argue, merely to help the person with the question originally asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megantrace)
    More a case of a lack of enthusiasm for the subject, actually. Terrible teacher who never turns up too, I think a maximum of 6/20 in our hardworking class managed to pass Chemistry. Perhaps I'm basing my argument upon my own experience though.

No need to go on the attack about not revising properly. Clearly I must've been revising well as I got a high A grade for the Geography paper I sat 4 days later. I'm not here to argue, merely to help the person with the question originally asked.
    Did you get good scores when marking your practice papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namige)
    Did you get good scores when marking your practice papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, averaging B grades in mock papers. That was my predicted grade, but the paper structure for Edexcel was quite different. Hence why the result came as quite a shock...

But hey, I'm sticking to the A Levels I enjoy now so things are better than they were.

ReputationRep:

you can become rich if you discover a new element - probability - 5%
    You can become rich if you open your own bank in south Africa - probability - 70%

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.