Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Speak to them seriously and ask them for the money back. And stop lending or giving them any money, not even a cent.

Forget about their BF, your friend is not really your friend, just someone who is taking your money.

ReputationRep:
    that's the thing, i'd feel bad asking for the money back, it's not a problem but just finding it weird that it's still the same even after she has a BF. She's one of my best friends and i know money isn't the foundation of the friendship, been there for one another for many many years now and we're like family (one of the main reasons why i've never been hesitant to help). I just know i'd find it weird if i knew my gf's best friend was buying things for her and i didn't know about it

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I'd 'lend' money to friends and get annoyed when they wouldn't pay it back (my family were quite poor). I then realised, if you lend a friend money you should only do so if you're okay with them never paying you back. And that's what I do now because it's not worth losing that friend over the awkwardness of money and being annoyed at them not paying me back.

In response to your issue, you seem fine with doing your friend the favour, and her having a boyfriend doesn't really matter - BUT if it is something she can't talk to him about there is clearly something 'wrong' going on. I personally don't think it's normal to take that much money from a friend without a real explanation or definite need, what sort of online purchases are they?

ReputationRep:
    Two grand!? Thats no small poatos, you need to talk to them about this.

If they dont see that they NEED to pay this back, they are not a friend worth having!

ReputationRep:
    I've stopped lending friends money. It is quite annoying to give money and not get it back and they don't seem to care.
    A friend started nasty rumours about me when i wanted my money back. She told everyone i was harrassing her because of pittance (then why didn't she gove it back?? :confused:). It's just too much hassle.
    Whydid you let it get up to 2k? I'd draw the line somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JinxedOut)
    When I was younger I'd 'lend' money to friends and get annoyed when they wouldn't pay it back (my family were quite poor). I then realised, if you lend a friend money you should only do so if you're okay with them never paying you back. And that's what I do now because it's not worth losing that friend over the awkwardness of money and being annoyed at them not paying me back.

In response to your issue, you seem fine with doing your friend the favour, and her having a boyfriend doesn't really matter - BUT if it is something she can't talk to him about there is clearly something 'wrong' going on. I personally don't think it's normal to take that much money from a friend without a real explanation or definite need, what sort of online purchases are they?

I agree, the friendship is too valuable to throw away as it doesn't bother me that much.

Mainly luxury goods, clothing etc. I don't mind for this now and then but I think i'll have to discuss it at some point. If it was money for other financial issues I have no hesitation to help, but the luxuries can be excused (no problem if it's paid back for though). I have helped for other financial difficulties and did not expect anything back.

(Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Two grand!? Thats no small poatos, you need to talk to them about this.

If they dont see that they NEED to pay this back, they are not a friend worth having!
    That's true, I will talk about it, and I know they appreciate it all, I've also been told if I ever need money to ask for it, but I'm the type of person who'd feel guilty about taking money from someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink lipstick)
    I've stopped lending friends money. It is quite annoying to give money and not get it back and they don't seem to care.
    A friend started nasty rumours about me when i wanted my money back. She told everyone i was harrassing her because of pittance (then why didn't she gove it back?? :confused:). It's just too much hassle.
    Whydid you let it get up to 2k? I'd draw the line somewhere.
    Sorry to hear that, that sucks =/

As for it getting up to 2k, I did not really notice myself until I thought about it just recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falc0n)
    Sorry to hear that, that sucks =/

As for it getting up to 2k, I did not really notice myself until I thought about it just recently.
    She sounds like she is just using you for your money. Are you rich or something? £2k is a lot of money!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I think you need to stop lending her money. She knows you're going to do it; so will carry on.

This may be hard for you as its your friend but you need to stop offerning to buy things for a start, if they ask why tell them the truth, if their not willing to pay you back for the things you end up paying for why should you go out your way to help them?
    Forget about her having a boyfriend because he should be the one buying her things not you! however it might turn out he is in the same situation.
    It sounds also that your "friend" is using you, so id be careful loosing your "friendship" may actually turn out to be beneficial.

Just an update to anyone who was interested, have spoken to them about this about over a week ago and they completely understand and it hasn't affected the friendship

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.