Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Been Scammed! See people differently and don't know what to do! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My workplace has been scammed because of me and my boss. I feel so ****ing guilty and after seeing my boss shaken up I feel like killing myself.

I work in an environment where the transfer of money is extremely important. I've been conned and scammed which now has resulted in the police being involved.

I am a young person and so I am new to the workplace and so on. My boss said he can recover some of the money but hes not sure about the rest. I even told my boss to beat me up and fire me and so on, but he won't. He said everybody gets 'hustled'. He told me not to worry to much. But in all honestly, I am ****ing worried.

I don't know what to do. I feel that its my fault, but my boss also dealt with the customer before hand so its both our faults really. The fact that I was so gullible and stupid means that I am retarted. I'm starting to see that the innocent are guilty. The quiet ones are in fact the guilty ones. The customer supposedly abidied by the law and gave me their documentation and so on for the money transfer to take place, but it turns out that the customer used a fake passport to receive money and so on.

The customer somehow stole someone elses details and has used that to claim some money of me. The documentation and paperwork matched the details I had on the screen, which lead me to think that it was all legitimate. There was no way on earth that I would think that it was fraud.

Not only have I been traumatized, but I have also been stressed, worried and even not healthy. Can't sleep properly either.

ReputationRep:
    Traumatized lol. What did you learn from your experience? This is the most important thing to consider before you give yourself into traumatisation and stress.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what you could have done differently?

ReputationRep:
    Put it down to experience and forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    put it down to experience. your young, and some people are professional con artist and get away with it for years before eventually being caught.
    The only thing that would not work in your favour is if you hadnt perhaps followed the particular guidelines and procedures that are in place to help avoid these situations. Other than that, people make mistakes, and you need to move on.
    No point in stressing about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Put it down to experience and forget about it.
    What about the money? Who pays that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    put it down to experience. your young, and some people are professional con artist and get away with it for years before eventually being caught.
    The only thing that would not work in your favour is if you hadnt perhaps followed the particular guidelines and procedures that are in place to help avoid these situations. Other than that, people make mistakes, and you need to move on.
    No point in stressing about it.

I already gave the money to the wrong person, I can't reclaim it and give it back to the genuine person. Apparently, the genuine person should have known about the risks. I'm just there to do my job and thats it. I don't work for an agency of some sort so I don't have much expertise.

I'm just worried about the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Traumatized lol. What did you learn from your experience? This is the most important thing to consider before you give yourself into traumatisation and stress.
    Monies gone and I was conned. It's extremely difficult to tell if its a scam or not and even the best of people can get it wrong.

I hope the money transfer company understand this, I mean come on they must get complaints like this everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    May I ask what you could have done differently?
    Lied and said that we don't do money transfer even though there is a big banner that says we do.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should stop beating yourself up over this. It doesn't sound like there was a lot you could do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    The company. You're just doing your job. You shouldn't be punished for making a mistake, and by the sounds of it your boss is understanding, so I highly doubt you will have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    Lied and said that we don't do money transfer even though there is a big banner that says we do.
    Lied? If your job is to transfer money, and the only other option is lying, I don't see how it's your fault.

ReputationRep:
    Consider it a learning curve and move on there's noting you can do now or should have done differently from what you said, everyone gets conned once in a while its life.

ReputationRep:
    That would have put you in more trouble.
    So by the sounds of it, there wasn't really a lot you can do. It happened on your watch, but surely it would've happened to any of your colleagues had they had that scammer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    The company. You're just doing your job. You shouldn't be punished for making a mistake, and by the sounds of it your boss is understanding, so I highly doubt you will have to pay.
    Why does the company have to pay?

BTW, we had a meeting today and we investigated this case and noted something very interesting. In order to obtain money you need a money control number.

Now, the person who scammed us had the number and then the victims had the same number. So I asked my boss and colleagues 'How the **** can two different people have the same number? Being a computing student as well, I am aware that in database design there is an important concept which is Entity integrity. I.e. a value has to be unique. We are dealing with a database system, and so the primary key would be the money control number. Each transaction has its unique number. Now in our case we have two different couples with the same number. The first couple being fraudsters and taking money and then a second couple claiming that someone stole their money. How can two different people have the same number?"

As soon as I said that, I realized that the only way to get the money control number would be through some means of communication. Thus, both parties have the same number as...
    (1) They may be related or have some sort of connection
    (2) One party may have been unfortunate as the number may have been intercepted by unethical means
    (3) A money transfer office may have sold on one parties details and so on.

I have got this feeling that (1) applies to this case, because how could the legitimate couple know that we gave money to fraudsters when there are thousands of money transfer agents within a 5 mile radius.

After we had this discussion, we could only come to a conclusion that in fact we weren't at fault. It's not our job to tell who are fraudsters and who are not, and its also not our job to question people's identification and so on. There is no reason why we should pay innocent people, as we don't know if they played a part in this fraud process. In fact, I have this feeling that they did by the way they were acting a few days ago.
    However, we have used this as an experience and won't be dealing with people receiving money from now on. We are also thinking of maybe reducing our services and so on. I will never forget what these scumbags have done and the damage they have caused to me and my colleagues. I hope karma punishes them soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    That would have put you in more trouble.
    So by the sounds of it, there wasn't really a lot you can do. It happened on your watch, but surely it would've happened to any of your colleagues had they had that scammer.
    We were extremely unfortunate to have something like this to happen to us. With one of our best employers on a sick leave and now my boss's family having problems.

BTW, we had a meeting today and we investigated this case and noted something very interesting. In order to obtain money you need a money control number.

Now, the person who scammed us had the number and then the victims had the same number. So I asked my boss and colleagues 'How the **** can two different people have the same number? Being a computing student as well, I am aware that in database design there is an important concept which is Entity integrity. I.e. a value has to be unique. We are dealing with a database system, and so the primary key would be the money control number. Each transaction has its unique number. Now in our case we have two different couples with the same number. The first couple being fraudsters and taking money and then a second couple claiming that someone stole their money. How can two different people have the same number?"

As soon as I said that, I realized that the only way to get the money control number would be through some means of communication. Thus, both parties have the same number as...
    (2) One party may have been unfortunate as the number may have been intercepted by unethical means

I have got this feeling that (1) applies to this case, because how could the legitimate couple know that we gave money to fraudsters when there are thousands of money transfer agents within a 5 mile radius.

After we had this discussion, we could only come to a conclusion that in fact we weren't at fault. It's not our job to tell who are fraudsters and who are not, and its also not our job to question people's identification and so on. There is no reason why we should pay innocent people, as we don't know if they played a part in this fraud process. In fact, I have this feeling that they did by the way they were acting a few days ago.
    However, we have used this as an experience and won't be dealing with people receiving money from now on. We are also thinking of maybe reducing our services and so on. I will never forget what these scumbags have done and the damage they have caused to me and my colleagues. I hope karma punishes them soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Consider it a learning curve and move on there's noting you can do now or should have done differently from what you said, everyone gets conned once in a while its life.
    I will use it as a learning curve.

I don't think we lost any money at all, and in fact I think these 'genuine' people have in fact done us a HUGE favour.

I decided to host a meeting today and we investigated this case and noted something very interesting. In order to obtain money you need a money control number.

ReputationRep:
    We were extremely unfortunate to have something like this to happen to us. With one of our best employers on a sick leave and now my boss's family having problems.

So to get back to my original point:
    You don't seem to be in much, if any, fault. You were the one that was hit so it happened 'on your watch' so to speak. But had it been to anyone else, then it would still likely have happened.

Now anger, I can get behind. But your guilt was down to your inexperience in not knowing that you didn't actually have much, if anything, to feel guilty about.

Do you think you might be able to get more money back because of the control number?
    Because that seems to make it look like things were even more shifty?

Hope you're feeling better!

ReputationRep:
    Why does the company have to pay?

Oh sorry, I thought you meant they had already decided to pay and you were asking if you should pay it. I assume, being a money transfer company, that they have procedures in place and have something in their terms and conditions which explains what should happen in case of fraud or lost money. But I don't think you (or the company) will be required to pay the lost money as it's not directly your fault.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, if this is how you react when doing your job, god only knows what happens when you misplace your own wallet.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.