Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people obsessed with travelling? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

So why is travelling so popular?

ReputationRep:
    Because experiencing another culture broadens your horizon, I love travelling. I don't mind whether its 3 days somewhere else in England, or the other side of the world.
    I feel it makes you a more rounded person able to accept other people's beliefs, cultures and customs. It's all I want to do in life, I'd rather travel over everything material. What would your rather tell your grankids about, "I once had a really nice car which has now got old and been scrapped" or all about your incredible travel adventures. I know my choice, but each to their own!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation.
    I think more people would have a harder time understanding this then why people want to travel. There's sound reasoning behind wanting to try new things; new foods; see new places; meet new people; experience different cultures; visit historical sites, etc. You're currently in one tiny little corner of the world and there are endless things to see and do which are completely alien to your current life. It's interesting, more than anything, and preferring a monotonous existence is odd to me.

ReputationRep:
    Once you get into a standard job, maybe get married and have children travelling like that becomes almost impossible. Why not see as much of the world whilst you can, instead of wasting your best years sitting in some corner of the world?

ReputationRep:
    I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

The memories and experience will last so much longer than your 'material hobby item' which will soon be scrapped so that you can buy a new one...

I don't think it's gimmicky. It's great for you that you're happy where you are but I think a lot of people would like to see the rest of the big wide world that's out there.

I agree with you, OP.

I honestly find travelling, even if it's not very far, incredibly stressful and irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vonkle)
    The memories and experience will last so much longer than your 'material hobby item' which will soon be scrapped so that you can buy a new one...

I don't think it's gimmicky. It's great for you that you're happy where you are but I think a lot of people would like to see the rest of the big wide world that's out there.
    Completely agree with this. I don't understand the obsession with wanting to collect more stuff. It's hard to break the cycle, and travelling is out of a lot of peoples comfort zones so it has that appeal.

ReputationRep:
    I love travelling, but it's a personal preference like everything. I know people who would much rather settle down and live happily for the rest of their days less than 10 miles from where they were born, having a steady but dull job, but I just can't do it. Experiencing new cultures, new people, different ways of living etc. is exciting and in my opinion infinitely more fulfilling than owning material possessions such as drum kits and cars as op stated.

ReputationRep:

Why wouldn't you want to see the world and explore different places, different peoples, different cultures - by Jove, explore your bl00dy plane to abode!

It is the novelty-seeking and intelligent gene within us - the Homo Sapiens Sapiens is an advanced species of man; I would be concerned if he did not seek to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I think more people would have a harder time understanding this then why people want to travel. There's sound reasoning behind wanting to try new things; new foods; see new places; meet new people; experience different cultures; visit historical sites, etc. You're currently in one tiny little corner of the world and there are endless things to see and do which are completely alien to your current life. It's interesting, more than anything, and preferring a monotonous existence is odd to me.
    Well I have met lots of people at uni, tried new foods, and done a fair few things. I've been on holiday a few times with my family when I was younger but I wouldn't really have any inclination to go on holiday anywhere otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    just think how many awesome drummers there could be...

ReputationRep:
    i love meeting people from different cultures and backgrounds and being able to compare lives - i just find it so interesting! and i love seeing amazing sights. i guess it's not for everyone. just depends on the individual!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't quite say that I'm "obsessed" with travelling, but I've grown to quite enjoy it as a way of visiting the kinds of places and meeting the kinds of people that I can't often visit and meet in my home town. :yep:

I feel the same. I'd go travelling to spend time with another person, otherwise i'd feel like i was wandering around looking at buildings by myself (and i dont need to get on a plane to do that) and trying to avoid ending up dismembered in a suitcase.

ReputationRep:
    You get to experience different cultures, see different things, open your eyes to new experiences. It helps you develop as a person! I would hate to be stuck in London all my life. I guess it depends upon the type of person you are, perhaps you love your house?! I would totally disagree that travelling is gimmicky; I travel because I WANT TO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdranginis)
    Because experiencing another culture broadens your horizon, I love travelling. I don't mind whether its 3 days somewhere else in England, or the other side of the world.
    I feel it makes you a more rounded person able to accept other people's beliefs, cultures and customs. It's all I want to do in life, I'd rather travel over everything material. What would your rather tell your grankids about, "I once had a really nice car which has now got old and been scrapped" or all about your incredible travel adventures. I know my choice, but each to their own!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely agree with this

ReputationRep:
    Because England is such a depressing place.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm looking into going to Peru this summer volunteering - I know I won't be able to do stuff like that for long, so I want to make the most of it.

... Always looking for a travel buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Its pretty cool exploring other places and getting a rough idea of what it'd be like to live there. Its also pretty satisfying when it come of on the TV and you can say 'Ha, i've been there'

ReputationRep:
    I agree its not for everyone and a lot of people literally use it as a way of comparing how awesome they are.

I haven't had the money or time to travel though.

'Oh well I went to Devon for a few days, its nice in the summer' - Me

'Yah well my parents OWN Switzerland, so I went to Thailand first then skiied on my parents' mountain' - Literally Every Random Party-goer I meet

'Well thats cool, I would like to travel more' - Me

'Like its awesome you should, I'm going on holiday FIVE times this year and then inter-railing for 3 months' - Aforementioned.

Apologies for my rant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.