Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Why are people obsessed with travelling? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I qualify as a teacher of English as a foreign language to adults tomorrow so I think I will weigh in here on the subject of teaching English. I'm collecting a lot of job adverts at the moment to respond to and nearly every one specifically asks for a native speaker from the UK, USA, Canada, Ireland or Australia... some say that teachers from countries within the EU (other than the UK and Ireland) are OK so long as their English is good enough, though.

I'm not sure if you should be volunteering to teach English if you haven't got a teaching qualification, though. Places may say it's OK to come and volunteer if you haven't got one, but really, after doing my teaching course I can see how valuable it is to have knowledge of effective teaching techniques. Surely it isn't benefiting the learners if their teacher is teaching without the knowledge of how to teach, or if he or she is acting how they imagine a teacher should be like.

ReputationRep:
    I've not really done much travelling, except family holidays/occasional trip away with friends (and the former can be a bit stressful), but never outside of Europe. I love the idea of going to new places, seeing new things, pretty views and scenery, and generally just exploring and wandering around places (also, escaping from here for awhile sounds great!). Seriously hoping to save up to do some travelling - so many places I want to go to, and I love the idea of travelling around somewhere by train... Such a good way to see loads of places! If I had money, like someone else said, I'd be on the first plane out of here.

I really really want to go away right now (actually, going to Paris for a few days next month come to think of it)... Bought a couple of guidebooks fairly recently, but right now, it's still wishful thinking. I love just exploring the countryside here though and going for random walks and taking photos. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Why don't you go and become less ignorant on the subject before you start preaching? You clearly don't know anything about volunteering, or the process. Seriously, you can't condemn a practise unless you actually know what you're condemning.

Good night.
    "I am not willing to address your comment so I will call you ignorant."

Thought so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnob204)
    You're doing stuff that you enjoy to get people to give you money to do something you enjoy. People would be better off giving that money to charity.

HAs it ever occured to you that when you come over there doing work for free you're putting a local person out of work?
    Exactly. Unless you are skilled where the country you're travelling to has a shortage- eg engineers, doctors and nurses- you are taking away a local person's job. People who go on gap years go somewhere for a month or two, ask for a few grand in fundraising for most of the money to go onto their travel, accommodation and food fund and the rest to go to the companies. If people want to be charitable: donate the money so it goes direct, then go on a holiday. Gap yahers don't make a difference and it does more harm than good most of the times: Is it really good that every single month the kids get a new bunch of middle class work shy kids who think that they're making a difference.

ReputationRep:
    You've taken it completely the wrong way. I'm not just asking people for money, and it isn't a gap year. I'm paying for the vast majority of it myself, and I'm doing sponsored events such as half marathons, abseils and zip wires for it.

I love it when people say "you could get a job". It's so damn cute. Almost like there isn't an economic problem right now.
    Most people get a job so they can afford holidays. No job and you can't afford a holiday. How on earth have you managed to get the vast majority of the money if you didn't work? Parents I guess. Oh and don't forget the 'fundraising', aka getting other people to pay for your holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    x
    You hate women (probably due to mommy issues). We get it. It's getting old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoshi)
    You hate women (probably due to mommy issues). We get it. It's getting old.
    Yes I hate women and I have "mommy" issues. Derp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnob204)
    You're doing stuff that you enjoy to get people to give you money to do something you enjoy. People would be better off giving that money to charity.

HAs it ever occured to you that when you come over there doing work for free you're putting a local person out of work?
    Ugh, this. I wis more people would realise that voluntourism often does a lot more harm then good. If people really want to help, donate the hundreds of pounds you would have spent on flights, direct to a charity.

Or why do people feel the need to go 'find themselves' in places such as Peru, India etc..? There are plenty of charity projects here in the UK that could do with funding and volunteers yet instead, people insist on 'finding themselves' abroad, resulting in putting locals out of jobs by doing the same tasks for free and often with poorer quality.

I just find the majority of these type of schemes to be patronising. If you don't have relevant skills (TEFL qualifications, manual skills etc), then don't go - doing something trivial and then patting yourself on the back is not helpful. It just breeds this smug attitude of wanting to 'save' people.

/rant. Don't even care if this sounds harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

So why is travelling so popular?
    It allows you to see the world from many different perspectives, and that helps you better decide what you yourself want in life. I grew up in a very unstable area and moved somewhere much better for uni; obviously this is not the kind of travelling you're talking about, but had I remained where I was I would not have been half the person I am now as I would have been surrounded by the same types of people and attitudes. Being stuck in the same place all the time locks you into the same way of thinking, and that isn't generally a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    Cause it's fantastic. You broaden your horizons and it's refreshing seeing cultures completely different to your own.

ReputationRep:
    Not when I'm doing something that a local person cannot effectively do. For example, teaching English. How is someone who cannot speak English fluently supposed to teach it? Hmm?
    So I'm guessing you have TEFL qualifications and previous teaching experience? A native English speaker does not an English language teacher make.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuy)
    Most people get a job so they can afford holidays. No job and you can't afford a holiday. How on earth have you managed to get the vast majority of the money if you didn't work? Parents I guess. Oh and don't forget the 'fundraising', aka getting other people to pay for your holiday.
    Nope, actually my great grandmother left me the money when she died so I could do this.

Still wanting to take this piss?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    So I'm guessing you have TEFL qualifications and previous teaching experience? A native English speaker does not an English language teacher make.
    I did the TEFL course last summer.

ReputationRep:
    In general, I would say, travelling has just become so immensely cheap due to several low budget flight carriers and the increasing popularity of hostels.

Now I won't mention the obvious benefits and experiences that travelling entails but I find other - often unconscious- factors much more interesting.

There are a lot of people who post and publicize where they have travelled to and most often I don't find these very people very interesting. It seems like a new hobby to 'collect' and to 'own'. Usually, when you meet a well-travelled person, you might think he might be wiser, knowledgable and experienced which is why people usually are in awe. But a lot of people, who go abroad or do 'volunteering' (while paying a huge amount) are actually so boring as I have noticed. They are mostly rich yuppies who just want to list all the countries they have travelled to as if it was some sort of trophy and be 'amongst locals a.k.a. poor people' to show how wholesome they are. I have noticed that a lot of them do just short trips, stay for a day or two and then they have 'experienced' the country. But what exactly have they experienced or learned?

Anyway, just a little rant, there are of course million other travellers who are genuinely interested in the countries they visit but I think I've seen enough of these 'Look-this-is-where-I-have-been-to' pictures.

And I agree with Scout, a lot of volunteers abroad don't do anything in their own local neighborhood.

ReputationRep:
    I did the TEFL course last summer.
    I really want to do the TEFL or CELTA as well, but it's just so expensive!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppcc)
    I really want to do the TEFL or CELTA as well, but it's just so expensive!
    It really is! The TEFL was a bloody drain on my bank account. I guess it's worth it in the end. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not want to travel if you live with British weather all of the time lol ?

ReputationRep:
    I've got no objection to travelling, but it really annoys me when people tell me I'm too young to do things like settle down and that I should go travelling instead. No one seems to realise that perhaps I WANT to settle down and there's no reason I can't go on holiday whilst settled.
    But apparently holidays don't count and I will be unfulfilled unless I go and work for a year in another country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    Because England is such a depressing place.
    Please expand. 'Depressing' is subjective, but honestly, I think it is the people who come out with statements like this who need to go travelling the most so they can see just how miserable life can be in all corners of the world. In England the majority have enough to eat, the majority are sheltered, the country is not a war zone, we have a relatively liberal and progressive culture, the country is democratic, it's probably one of the best places to be in terms of women's rights - and human rights - we have free healthcare...
    We also have beautiful countryside and lots of culture and history.

ReputationRep:
    This world is huge and I'd like to see as much of it as I can before my time is up!.In a few years when my kids are adults, I hope to go travelling a lot more than I have done before.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.