The Student Room Group

Why are people obsessed with travelling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Traveling for me is a passion. :smile: I love to see the beauty of nature and more importantly I like to be away from the concrete jungle. I have this passion to see wildlife which makes me travel although more. I am passionate towards the climbing mountains, see nature from height, sleep in open sky with sleeping bags and i love with wanderlust.
I'm not obsessed with travelling but there are a few places I'd like to go. My extended family are obsessed with it (not my parents) and keep telling me that my life will be unfulfilled unless I travel the world. Never mind the fact I have no money. -.- I'm getting sick to death of it because it's impacting my life. They keep telling me not to get too settled with my boyfriend, who I have lived with for 2 years, because I need to travel. Grargh!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
I never really been on any mad trips or holidays as such but I enjoy general travelling as long as its not too and from work xD, I like travelling by plane or boat etc alone for some reason, duno why, just really enjoy making my way around all on my own, seeing new things, observing people in different places, meeting new people I duno maybe its strange but yeh lol

I'd really like to visit australia, some parts of asia, not overly fussed on europe except germany, austria and switzerland, mostly though I'd love to see america/canada, I'm highly interested in different cultures especialy from a food/drink/hospitality point of view, I'd love to see south america and if at all possible brazill at some point in my life!

I agree though with alot of people, its good to do this while young, your family in future might not be so willing to jus give you up for weeks or months at a time xD
Reply 103
I think people are naturally curious and want explore the world or at least a bit further then your hometown. Plus holidays are often relaxing and it's fun experiencing other cultures... to me it's strange that you don't get this:P
Those who do not travel, read only a page.

Take a look at this article. Not being interested in learning about other cultures, traditions and people who also share this planet is the equivalent of being 'mediocrely educated'.

http://seven-g.net/2012/01/the-world-is-a-book-and-those-who-do-not-travel-read-only-one-page/
(edited 10 years ago)
There are a lot of people on here hating on others who travel and are using the same excuses such as taking jobs off of locals, not working at home etc.

There are many reasons why I travel, mainly though I just love going to new places and experiencing other cultures. A lot of the arguments here are stupid:

You should work rather than ask people for money - I work for 6 months of the year, then I normally spend the other 5/6 months travelling. So I pay for my own travels.

Taking locals jobs - I earn enough money when working so I don't work when I'm travelling, any money I do earn is online.

Doing it for Facebook/boasting etc - I've never posted anything about my travels on facebook and rarely speak about it except when someone who knows what I'm doing asks. I get a lot of messages asking for my recommendations about different places.

There are plenty of charity projects here in the UK that could do with funding and volunteers - from some other threads I've created you'll see that I'm a big advocate of donating/raising for charities see in the uk in particular BHF. The only volunteering I would do when travelling is if the hostel I was staying at wanted me to help in some way. I only stay in hostels because 1. It's cheaper and 2. I meet fellow travellers better.

There's more but I Cba to write anymore right now. Simply put not everyone is the same, yeah sure there's plenty of people who have mummy and daddy pay for it or ask for others to find it just so they an have a good time but not everyone is
The world is a beautiful place.

That is all.
To each their own and all, but I personally find travelling amazing. It's so awesome to experience different cultures and places. I'm currently on a working holiday in Australia, which has been great, doing many different things I couldn't have done just staying in my boring English hometown, meeting not only Australians but loads of other foreigners of different nationalities also living or visiting here. And I also had a stopover trip on the way here, to Hong Kong, which was amazing and I definitely want to maybe return and also go see other Asian countries at some point, as well as many other countries in the world.

Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Because England is such a depressing place.

Lol, this. England is so crap, apart from everything else, I couldn't even really find a decent boyfriend in the 21 years I was living there. Then I decided to up sticks to Australia and met my current Scottish boyfriend within two months of being there :biggrin:. I'm still abroad now and in no rush to return to England, except to see my family and pet rabbit again, but who knows, maybe when i return to Britain I will just end up living in Scotland one day, especially with all the interesting things I've learned about it from being with my boyfriend :beard:
Original post by OL1V3R
I would like some ideas as to why travelling is so popular? Everywhere I look on Facebook and forums and stuff I always see something about studying abroad, working abroad, or people travelling to exotic locations.

It seems as though people are obsessed with trying to cover the globe with their footprints in a YOLO-like fashion. I just think it's all a bit pointless to be honest, I'd be happy to stay in the same place for years on end without much variation. But it seems as though society is being pressured to go abroad, and it's very gimmicky in my opinion; going to another country for 2 weeks doesn't last as long as purchasing a car or drum kit or another material hobby item.

So why is travelling so popular?

Travelling is great as a means to experience other culture's. However I hate the type who goes on a gap year and comes back to lecture me on how they, having built a couple of mud houses in Kenya, have saved the entire planet. :colonhash:
Reply 109
nothing better to do I guess.
Reply 110
I'm not too bothered by holidays and actually see them as a waste of money most of the time as it's only two weeks in your life every year or twice year. There are some places I'd like to visit - but with my family, I'm not travelling with friends "for the experience", I need to be safe and certainly not by myself.

For most people it's a form of escapism or genuine interest.
Maybe because I want to see new things and that I hate for most of the year doing the samething. Seeing the view from my room bores me, I'am obsessed if I'am could I would constantly travel, Ok not all the time but as often as life would allow it. Yes it's nice to have home comforts but why not take that with you and experience new cultures, meet new people, learn new things that otherwise even with the Internet we would not learn.

Also seeing the house oppersite every morning really bores me not least as its 1970's eew!
cos its fun i mean theres all this
images.jpg Iran_Dizin_Hotel.jpgcdcs.jpgdcdsccdc.jpgcdcd.jpg

and waaay more

but all you want to see seems to be this!

vv.jpg that i dont get!

LOL I DONT KNOW WHY THOES PICTURES ARE BELOW BUT THAT GIRL ISNT RELEVENT TO MY POST SHES JUST WEARING AN OUTFIT I CONCIDERED BUYING
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal
I agree with you, OP.

I honestly find travelling, even if it's not very far, incredibly stressful and irritating.

I agree half the time though the specifics matter a lot.
Travailing for the sake of it like so many people seem to do is in my mind a big wast of money.
Doing and experiencing new things can be enjoyable but If you don't know the language your just in a Vila by the sea and the locals are looking down on you as tourists or trying to fleece you them your probably just doing it for the idea.
If you take diving lessons lean how to make armour and weld, use a virtual reality simulator, go climbing on a rock face, base jumping, snow sports, buying things you actually want genuinely cheaply because of a lack of VAT, motocross racing, being with people you like being with but usually don't see or getting away from people you see to much, getting some sort of massage to help your back, hot tub ect ect.
The point should be if your spending what to most my self included is a lot of money on it you should spend your time doing things you enjoy or at least think you will and can't do at home not just a bit more sun extra work and stress packing travailing, lack of home comforts even more ****ty internet and a lode of locals who just see you as a tourists all so you can say I went to country x despite how little you actually got out of going to country x.
Weather its worth it or not depends on your finances and what you will actually get out of it. It shouldn't be done for the sake of it.
Living in a foreign country is a beautiful thing I one dayhope to do, but inter-railing through Europe living in hostels is an absolutegarbage thing to do.
Just wanted to say that as someone who has the time and money to jump on a plane anytime I want but chooses not to,your post has been the one that has most caused me to question my lifestyle,fwiw.

In fact I think I may pay Brighton a visit this year!.

Just for the weekend mind.:smile:
What makes me laugh are those students from various eastern countries who come here from half way across the globe and then never venture more than a square mile or so from their accommodation block.

Quick Reply

Latest