Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of discussion about this, and I was wondering about your thoughts.

http://fashinpirate.tumblr.com/post/...ove-you-but-it

http://prismpower.blogspot.co.uk/201...inists-or.html

For me I just don't know what white people are doing this,
    or am I just ignorant of the fact as I am white?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    There is a lot of discussion about this, and I was wondering about your thoughts.

Wait what? I'm so sick of hearing being white makes you immune to racism, imagine sarcastic remarks were made in reverse. All of this is just a step backward for everyone by creating and enforcing boundaries between races.

The person who posted one of those is basically laughing that white girls cry when people bully them, implying that feelings are based on skin colour. Talk about portray yourself as an animal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Wait what? I'm so sick of hearing being white makes you immune to racism, imagine sarcastic remarks were made in reverse. All of this is just a step backward for everyone by creating and enforcing boundaries between races.
    Explain more please, really interested in what you have to say

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite think you're supposed to take these silly tumblr femenists seriously.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Explain more please, really interested in what you have to say

I don't know what more there is to say to be honest, it's racist. There's a bit of a myth that racism has to be institutional, and that modern institutions are inherently white. Coming from someone who was the only white boy in my year at primary school, I'm understandably a bit sick of being told that the other kids calling me honky/casper/milky bar kid/ asking if my skin was bleached was not racism simply because of something that happened a hundred years ago.

This is just another element of that. The people posting those nasty letters think they're better than someone else simply because of their skin colour. That's basic racism. Worse, they promote the idea that there are emotional differences between skin colours. That's insulting to their own racial background, and promotes the idea that there should be segregation between races.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    I don't quite think you're supposed to take these silly tumblr femenists seriously.
    I can imagine many people have read this and have taken it seriously. If they take it seriously surely we should too?

What makes them silly?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they always call non-white women, "women of color"? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I don't know what more there is to say to be honest, it's racist. There's a bit of a myth that racism has to be institutional, and that modern institutions are inherently white. Coming from someone who was the only white boy in my year at primary school, I'm understandably a bit sick of being told that the other kids calling me honky/casper/milky bar kid/ asking if my skin was bleached was not racism simply because of something that happened a hundred years ago.

This is just another element of that. The people posting those nasty letters think they're better than someone else simply because of their skin colour. That's basic racism. Worse, they promote the idea that there are emotional differences between skin colours. That's insulting to their own racial background, and promotes the idea that there should be segregation between races.
    I agree, however the amount of rage a lot of non-white feminists are expressing makes me feel like I am missing something.

If you take the recent events in India with rape and how it has surfaced a lot of suppression and issues in India.
    Things I have seen is anger towards 'white' feminists wanting to help 'poor Indian women' and they see it as patronizing and a typical 'white' thing to do.
    Because obviously these Indian women are not weak yet the way some people are taking about them is quite demeaning.

Is this where white feminism is a 'thing'?

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting, and I haven't read up enough on it to comment fully, but I certainly think it's very important to acknowledge some of the shortcomings of 20th Century feminism in terms of its middle class, white-centric nature. I think people tend to be quite aware of historical and political androcentrism, but maybe do not think so much about the representation of non-white (and working class) women in the feminist movement.

Thank you for highlighting it, I will read around the topic more!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, however the amount of rage a lot of non-white feminists are expressing makes me feel like I am missing something.
    Because in reality most feminists fight for all women's rights. To say all white feminists hate black women is laughable.

If you take the recent events in India with rape and how it has surfaced a lot of suppression and issues in India.
    Things I have seen is anger towards 'white' feminists wanting to help 'poor Indian women' and they see it as patronizing and a typical 'white' thing to do.
    Caring about others is a typical white thing? How is that not racist? Also the majority of the west (which is multicultural) want to help those women, you're making complete straw man arguments. I'm black and I'm a feminist and I want to help those women, now what?

Because obviously these Indian women are not weak yet the way some people are taking about them is quite demeaning.
    Yeah the way feminists talk about women is so demeaning as you know opposed to sexists.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    People be ignorant.
    Seriously this is pathetic. Why don't people just treat each other equally regardless of color, social status, riches, religious beliefs and judge them on their actions is it really that ****ing hard?

ReputationRep:

I'm white and I don't think that in-fighting helps the feminist cause at all. Any movement needs to be completely unified to succeed.

That said I can understand how women of other races might feel animosity towards white women. Historically we have had it a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    Just more feminist tumblr bull****.

Trying to fix disparities in society by creating more division and intergroup hostility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    People be ignorant.
    Seriously this is pathetic. Why don't people just treat each other equally regardless of color, social status, riches, religious beliefs and judge them on their actions is it really that ****ing hard?
    Because being born a upper middle class women is soo much harder than being born a boy of the lowest socioeconomic class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    Because being born a upper middle class women is soo much harder than being born a boy of the lowest socioeconomic class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course it's not as hard for upper class woman. I'm a man from a low socioeconomic class. Doesn't mean I'll look at richer people with disdain. It's not my fault I was born poor but I can rectify it with hard work. I am proud being from this background, it allows me to appreciate little things better anyway and work hard for things and earn it on merit. Although that doesn't mean I'd hate someone who got fastracked to riches because their family were rich. Is it their fault their family are rich? Is it my fault that my parents aren't rich?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Of course it's not as hard for upper class woman. I'm a man from a low socioeconomic class. Doesn't mean I'll look at richer people with disdain. It's not my fault I was born poor but I can rectify it with hard work. I am proud being from this background, it allows me to appreciate little things better anyway and work hard for things and earn it on merit. Although that doesn't mean I'd hate someone who got fastracked to riches because their family were rich. Is it their fault their family are rich? Is it my fault that my parents aren't rich?
    Yeah I know I was just pointing out most feminists are white, middle classed women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When was that said? Hmm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    When was that said? Hmm?
    Since you decided I'm an opressing upper middle classed women in my ivory tower *ahem* council flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    I'm white and I don't think that in-fighting helps the feminist cause at all. Any movement needs to be completely unified to succeed.

That said I can understand how women of other races might feel animosity towards white women. Historically we have had it a lot easier.
    Well I was watching something and it was suggesting that the feminist movement was to prevent/divert the equal races movement by getting the black women onto the feminist movement. Anyway tbh does it matter about history, what matters is what you do now. That's what all these people fail to understand. I remember going to ghana when I was 8 years old and seeing what happened to my ancestors and standing on 300 year old piss from slaved ancestors. It made me angry but over time I realised that my ancestors are not me and your ancestors are not you so why should I hate someone for the actions of another person.

That's basically how I see this movement. If feminists want equal rights, they should do it for all the subsets of people that feminism covers, no need for intra-movement strife based on history in my opinion, if non-white women want equal female rights they should work with white women for it and vice versa. The french would continue to fight with the germans because of WW1 and the strife afterwards if people wanted to let history get the better of them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Since you decided I'm an opressing upper middle classed women in my ivory tower *ahem* council flat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What? That makes absolutely NO sense. What are you actually trying to say?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.