Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am due my phone upgrade in a few days. I was looking at getting an iPhone 5 but I've been told none of the apps are free?

I'm used to Android and can't recall ever paying for an app so is this true with Apple? (I have never used an iPhone so I'm not sure)

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are free apps on the App store! Jetpack, Temple Run, Dragon Skies...etc

However, Angry Birds is free on Android but paid on the iphone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietheCat)
    Of course there are free apps on the App store! Jetpack, Temple Run, Dragon Skies...etc

I actually don't think I could handle no Angry Birds haha, that would be the exception. I LOVE THAT GAME.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Danielle0)
    I actually don't think I could handle no Angry Birds haha, that would be the exception. I LOVE THAT GAME.
    Jetpack and temple run are both good and addicting as well. You can't go wrong with them

ReputationRep:
    The iPhone has MORE paid apps than free apps compared to android. That is a fact.

Plus the iPhone is more expensive + ties you into the iTunes eco system and makes you register your credit card details before you can even use the phone/Apps.

(just my bias viewpoint)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    The iPhone has MORE paid apps than free apps compared to android. That is a fact.

Plus the iPhone is more expensive + ties you into the iTunes eco system and makes you register your credit card details before you can even use the phone/Apps.

(just my bias viewpoint)

Do you know exactly why they want my card details? i.e. are the going to use them without me ok'ing it at a later point?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know exactly why they want my card details? i.e. are the going to use them without me ok'ing it at a later point?
    They won't use them for anything. But they can be used for automatic purchases. So say for example you buy an app it won't ask for payment details, it'll just take the money.

A rare example of this can be seen in that 5 year old kid who was given an iPad for 20 minutes by his parents and he racked up a bill of something like £2000 by just constantly buying apps and in game purchases. Now i'm not saying that will happen to you. And tbh there are ways around this now by having to enter your password again before a purchase can be made. But it's still a risk.

At least with Android you don't have to enter your credit card details at all if you don't want to.

Plus with android you don't have to plug your phone into your PC and use itunes everytime you want to add something to the phone. With Android you can add whatever you want in any way. Plus Apple is expensive and you can get much better android phones.

(Once again this is my highly bias viewpoint)

EDIT: link- http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-danny-1736501

ReputationRep:
    I am due my phone upgrade in a few days. I was looking at getting an iPhone 5 but I've been told none of the apps are free?

I'm used to Android and can't recall ever paying for an app so is this true with Apple? (I have never used an iPhone so I'm not sure)
    Apple has free apps, but there are a few common ones on android which are free which you have to pay for on the Apple App Store.

Apple App Store is much better though than Android's, it is larger and there are more quality apps.

HOWEVER

I think you should just get a NEXUS 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietheCat)

It's been made free on the iPhone recently, not that 69p was much compared to the price of the iPhone :lol:

(just my bias viewpoint)
    No it doesn't. You can use just gift cards which you buy from shops, so your card details aren't linked to your iTunes account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    It's been made free on the iPhone recently, not that 69p was much compared to the price of the iPhone :lol:

No it doesn't. You can use just gift cards which you buy from shops, so your card details aren't linked to your iTunes account.
    Yes it does. If you sign up for an itunes account TODAY then you have to register credit card details. You have no choice.

However, if like me, you signed up a few years back then you didn't have to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. If you sign up for an itunes account TODAY then you have to register credit card details. You have no choice.

However, if like me, you signed up a few years back then you didn't have to.
    Ah, fair enough. I didn't know it had changed

Edit: Just found this on the Apple site. Looks like there's a way round it http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?v...S&locale=en_US

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Ah, fair enough. I didn't know it had changed

Edit: Just found this on the Apple site. Looks like there's a way round it http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534?v...S&locale=en_US
    Oh thats weird. Is that a new thing? I set up an iPhone for a family member about a month ago and it forced you to enter card details. I couldn't find a way around it at all.

ReputationRep:

You only need card details to set the account up/confirm it's you. After that you can simply remove the details. You don't need them stored on iTunes whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Jailbreak.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add- there are free versions of Angry Birds on iPhone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    you can remove the card details after creating an Apple ID. Not having a card registered to the account means you cant accidentally buy apps etc. However you can still use gift cards to buy things without needing the card.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.