Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Most unis want AAA as a standard offer to study medicine. With so many people doing 4 now would it be pretty much stupid not taking 4 now.

Is there any data or numbers on how much the 4th a level helps?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrashMetal)
    Hello. Most unis want AAA as a standard offer to study medicine. With so many people doing 4 now would it be pretty much stupid not taking 4 now.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. Taking more than the required three A levels will not help your application in the slightest. Only Barts scores applicants who take more A levels higher as that is part of their admission procedure.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

As above, a 4th doesn't help with the exception of Barts.

What's far more helpful is scoring highly on entrance examinations (UKCAT, BMAT) and plentiful caring and voluntary experiences that you can draw upon for your reasoning as to why you want to be a medic.

ReputationRep:
    Hope this is not true.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not directly (except Barts who uses UCAS points to help determine interviewees and offer recipients), it can do in some specific situations like if you got a C in your fourth AS but they require a B, some places will accept a C at A level instead. Also if you're taking say Bio, Chem and Maths then if you're doing RS or Philosophy and Ethics as well that might give you an edge on ethical questions at interview. Your fourth A level could also act as a back up if you mess up in one of your main 3 (although if you mess up in Chemistry your options will still be quite limited.)

ReputationRep:
    My fourth currently is Physics, and I think it's affecting my other grades slightly seeing as I probably find Physics the hardest. But I don't want it to come to the crunch and I get rejected because someone doing 4 :C Really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    My fourth currently is Physics, and I think it's affecting my other grades slightly seeing as I probably find Physics the hardest. But I don't want it to come to the crunch and I get rejected because someone doing 4 :C Really don't know what to do.
    You would never be rejected for not doing four subjects (with the exception of Barts). It will be far more detrimental to your application if you don't get the required grades in your three main subjects. To an admission tutor AAA looks a million times better than AABB. One fulfills the requirements, the other does not.

ReputationRep:
    The downside of doing 4 is that then you can be made an offer based on four grades, and it's clearly harder to get four decent grades including AAA than to simply get 3 As. Don't cripple your chances by doing something you don't need to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, I just don't want to feel let down next year and get rejected because so many of my competitors did 4 and I was the odd one out with my 3.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, I just don't want to feel let down next year and get rejected because so many of my competitors did 4 and I was the odd one out with my 3.
    People are telling you that it doesn't matter. Not all schools even let pupils take four to A2 so it wouldn't be fair to discriminate much based on it.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would it be stupid not to take 4 when you can see from the offer AAA that 3 is sufficient ? If you can cope academically then happy days but why put that pressure on yourself it better getting 3 A's than 2A's 2B's .... Not saying that your not capable because I don't even know you but it's alway important to remember good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I'll drop Physics then after all this, I enjoy it so much but 4 is a struggle for me atm

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.