Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm in my first year of sixth form at school and beginning to worry about what I want to do in Uni. So far I think I'v come up with the idea of doing something like Biology because I like sciences. I also like working with children though and was wondering that if I finished a degree in biology after 3/4 years would I be able to do a PGCE with this degree? Ideally if I worked with kids I would like to be a primary school teacher.
    If anyone is doing a Primary PGCE or has done one, is it difficult and how big is the chance of getting a job at a Primary school when you come out?
    Also, how much work experience is needed? And what type of work experience? Does it just have to be in a school or can it be working with children in general because at the moment I am a volunteer at a local Brownie unit and I was wondering if this would count towards work experience
    THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Biology would be accepted for a Primary PGCE and aim for a 2:1- You will be able to get into some universities with a 2:2 but the scope may not be as wide.

As for work experience the more you can get the better really. Brownies is a great way of getting experience but I would also arrange some for in schools as well, I think current guidance is 10 days but I would try and get something more regular perhaps 1 day a week for a term or try and work some weeks in around your degree timetable. Try and get in to a few different schools over the 3/4 years so you can really build up a picture of what it is to be a teacher!

If you build up the experience from now up until when you apply for your PGCE you will be in a great place to apply!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's really helpful I'l try to organise some work experience in a school soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleOwl27)
    Hi
    I'm in my first year of sixth form at school and beginning to worry about what I want to do in Uni. So far I think I'v come up with the idea of doing something like Biology because I like sciences. I also like working with children though and was wondering that if I finished a degree in biology after 3/4 years would I be able to do a PGCE with this degree? Ideally if I worked with kids I would like to be a primary school teacher.
    If anyone is doing a Primary PGCE or has done one, is it difficult and how big is the chance of getting a job at a Primary school when you come out?
    Also, how much work experience is needed? And what type of work experience? Does it just have to be in a school or can it be working with children in general because at the moment I am a volunteer at a local Brownie unit and I was wondering if this would count towards work experience
    THANKS!
    Build up a lot of work experience over the next few years of working in schools and with brownies/youth groups etc. Primary PGCEs are very competitive and will probably be more so in the years to come, so you will need as much experience as possible.
    The PGCE year is VERY intense and hard. Many people drop out as they realise it is not for them. You need to be sure that teaching is for you, as the workload is very high and the job is very demanding. But if you persever you will come out of your PGCE a good teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.