Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm overweight and want to lose weight, the thing is I hate cardio its boring. I can row for 20mins max and maybe 15more on the bike five times a week which I know isn't enough to lose serious weight (I'm eating healthily too and playing basketball and hockey three times a week). If I do this and weight lifting four times a week is it likely that I can lose weight despite spending more time lifting than cardio? I want to lose about 30lbs by August. To what extent does lifting help with weight loss?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, I googled and found lifting helps burn more calories but I was wondering is it sufficient to lose quite a bit of weight without doing loads of cardio too?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Defiantly.

Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Military Press

I would say 12x3 rotation would be better for you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    Defiantly.

Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Squats
    Military Press

I would say 12x3 rotation would be better for you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I do those 4 already.

Sorry for the question, but what's a 12x3? 12 reps and 3 sets?

ReputationRep:
    do both, try doing HIIT save some time and make sure you're in a deficit everyday!!

ReputationRep:
    Basketball and hockey 3 times a week is enough cardio. You don't need to sit on stupid gym machines. Concentrate on giving max efforts, don't stroll around on the court/pitch.

Weight lifting is good to maintain and gain muscle whilst losing fat. Just make sure you are eating properly. That's more important than exercise for weight loss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The diet is far more important than exercise. Exercise uses calories but makes your body need sugar to replace what was lost! Keep doing what you're doing but cut out some of the junk/decrease portion size a bit, and you will start to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss

No need for proper cardio...ain't nobody got time fo' that

ReputationRep:
    As basically everyone has already mentioned, there's no real need for cardio for weight loss, but if you want a healthy heart... :P

Just rotate major muscle groups and aim for DOMS (a lot of people contest the fact that DOMS necessarily means a good work out, but it definitely is a sign to go by)

If you want it to be an efficient weight loss program, consider including supplements such as GTE, Yohimbine, Synephrine (bitter orange extract), Octopamine, Raspberry ketones, possibly Forskolin, ALCarnitine and NALTyrosine. These are good dietary suppressants, although: I do not recommend any of them unless you consult a doctor, obviously.

edit: aim for about 900 calories deficit daily, and consider psyllium husk and lecithin aswell. (Choline and inositol in lecithin are great for memory as well), and obviously keep up a multivitamin, healthy diet, lots of water and probably some fish oils or flaxseed oil.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go as far as saying you shouldn't do any cardio for weight loss. Cardio keeps those fat burning pathways open, not to mention a healthy cardiovasulcar system which is arguably more important than being 'slim' anyway. But we live in a superficial society and people are generally stupid anyway, so yeah, do whatever...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSCF0911.JPG)
    As basically everyone has already mentioned, there's no real need for cardio for weight loss, but if you want a healthy heart... :P

Just rotate major muscle groups and aim for DOMS (a lot of people contest the fact that DOMS necessarily means a good work out, but it definitely is a sign to go by)

If you want it to be an efficient weight loss program, consider including supplements such as GTE, Yohimbine, Synephrine (bitter orange extract), Octopamine, Raspberry ketones, possibly Forskolin, ALCarnitine and NALTyrosine. These are good dietary suppressants, although: I do not recommend any of them unless you consult a doctor, obviously.

edit: aim for about 900 calories deficit daily, and consider psyllium husk and lecithin aswell. (Choline and inositol in lecithin are great for memory as well), and obviously keep up a multivitamin, healthy diet, lots of water and probably some fish oils or flaxseed oil.

Dunno how you 'aim for' DOMS.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Which is why it's a poor indicator of much. May as well just tell someone to put in as much effort as they can each workout.

Seems like a rather large deficit to me, especially if he plans to be working out properly and not wanting to feel tired as **** all the time.

ReputationRep:
    you could try doing short bursts of cardio spread throughout the day, so you don't get bored but your still burning calories, alternatively download eye of the tiger and pretend your rocky and run for ages that helped me lose weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSCF0911.JPG)

Not sure about other people but DOMS is something I sometimes get, and sometimes don't. DOMs is also a sign that you probably didn't warm up properly, get enough protein, your body is adapting to a new exercise etc etc. Best sign to go by would be increase in strength.

A lot of fat burner/weight loss supplements are also a waste of time-caffine, green tea, and protein are the best at keeping your appetite down.

900 kcals is a ma-hoo-sive deficit. I get told off for being on a 500kcal deficit. Agree with the multivitamins, water, and fish oils though.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're doing enough already. Don't push it too much, you will become ill and hinder your progress. Make sure you get enough rest. You could drop to 3 times a week but try for longer peices, 30 minutes rowing and 30 minutes running and try to beat your times each time around.

Are you loosing weight now from what you are doing? If you are and it's reasonable I woudn't push for more.

I don't really know what effect WL has on weight loss. What I do know is I lost 12kg through running and rowing over 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USRaphael)
    So I'm overweight and want to lose weight, the thing is I hate cardio its boring. I can row for 20mins max and maybe 15more on the bike five times a week which I know isn't enough to lose serious weight (I'm eating healthily too and playing basketball and hockey three times a week). If I do this and weight lifting four times a week is it likely that I can lose weight despite spending more time lifting than cardio? I want to lose about 30lbs by August. To what extent does lifting help with weight loss?

Sorry to sound like such a noob, I googled and found lifting helps burn more calories but I was wondering is it sufficient to lose quite a bit of weight without doing loads of cardio too?

Thanks for any help!
    Try a weights - cardio = weights - cardio - weights - two days rest routine.

eat your protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Seems like a rather large deficit to me, especially if he plans to be working out properly and not wanting to feel tired as **** all the time.
    With his weight loss aims, that is the deficit required. Baring in mind that the actual residual calorific expenditure will vary on his metabolism and existing muscle mass.

I based the deficit on losing 3kg per month, or 110g a day which translates roughly to a 900kcal daily deficit.

(Original post by concubine)
    Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Which is why it's a poor indicator of much. May as well just tell someone to put in as much effort as they can each workout.

This study suggests that increases in peak torque and strength-related performance parameters were greater following a programme consisting of maximum concentric and eccentric muscle actions than resistance training using concentric muscle actions only. Because increases in muscle fibre areas were small it is also suggested that the increased muscle strength shown subsequent to short-term accommodated resistance training is mainly due to neural adaptation.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2275403

Generally eccentric muscle action is linked with contracting DOMS, and also over the short term (3 months/12 weeks) has shown benefits over purely concentric muscle action, which is more associated with resistance training...

While I agree with both chigz32 and concubine about it 'sometimes happening and sometimes not', and it being an unreliable way to measure how effective a work out has been, I do maintain that if you changed your method of exercise to not only resistance vs cardio, to include DOMS inducing muscle motion (ie eccentric http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_...ic_contraction) then the short amount of time OP has to lose 14 kg could have more optimised work outs for his goals.

Finally, while building muscle strength and muscle mass could be seen as gaining weight, it will increase his metabolism and baseline use of calories.

I hope this explains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    Not sure about other people but DOMS is something I sometimes get, and sometimes don't. DOMs is also a sign that you probably didn't warm up properly, get enough protein, your body is adapting to a new exercise etc etc. Best sign to go by would be increase in strength.

A lot of fat burner/weight loss supplements are also a waste of time-caffine, green tea, and protein are the best at keeping your appetite down.

900 kcals is a ma-hoo-sive deficit. I get told off for being on a 500kcal deficit. Agree with the multivitamins, water, and fish oils though.
    I half-replied in my previous post, but:

I agree with a lot of 'fat burner/weight loss' supplements to be a waste of time, but the ones listed have been quite rigorously tested, I suggest examine.com, it has some cool reviews for most supplements and has a look at all the studies linked to it, etc.

The DOMS and deficit were addressed in my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypocrism)
    The diet is far more important than exercise. Exercise uses calories but makes your body need sugar to replace what was lost! Keep doing what you're doing but cut out some of the junk/decrease portion size a bit, and you will start to lose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish someone would post an example diet plan as I want to lose a bit of weight/get more toned but increase my strength/power for sprinting. I hear that diet is important but get confused over what meals to eat and how much

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast:
    Oats with yog/blueberries/blackberries/chopped banana / honey.
    Weetabix with any of the above.
    Scrambled Eggs on toast (no butter)
    Boiled Eggs with toastie soldiers (no butter)

Lunch:
    Jacket Potato with tuna/beans (low salt+sugar variety) / coldslaw / cheese (go easy if you have cheese)
    Selection of cold meats /w salad etc

Dinner:
    Fish + Rice & Peas or veg
    Pasta with low fat sauce or tuna + mixed herbs.
    Chicken with rice or peas / veg.

It's good to keep it more varied than that but I can't think of anything else right now lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    I wish someone would post an example diet plan as I want to lose a bit of weight/get more toned but increase my strength/power for sprinting. I hear that diet is important but get confused over what meals to eat and how much
    This is what I eat when I'm trying to improve my health:

Breakfast: weetabix / porridge (no sugar! some honey) / baked beans
    Lunch/dinner: chicken with sauce and carbs from brown bread/pasta, veg
    Snack on fruit, yoghurt, seafood, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    There's an example diet for weight loss on this site. Go to the nutrition section and it's in one of the stickies. You've got to do a bit of reading yourself and then you'll be set.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.