The Student Room Group

Chemistry or optom?

I'm really stuck as to which subject i should take at University!

I really enjoy chemistry and there is a lot that can be done with a chemistry degree.
I already have a conditional offer for optom from Bradford... But i feel unsure..

So what is a better course to go for? Chemistry or optometry? :confused:
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Help please!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Hello!

I assume "optom" is colloquial for optometry?

Incidentally, Chemistry is much more "broader" in terms of optometry, therefore if you end up saying "I don't like working in a chemical atmosphere", then you could use you're chemistry degree to go into alternative disciplines.

Optometry however is a health related field, and the pay is usually respectable - http://www.prospects.ac.uk/optometrist_salary.htm

Also, I think there may be more jobs in optometry than chemistry due to it being health related, but I do not know this for certain.

Conclusively however, you should go by what you like. I'd recommend talking to local universities about the course and then make a decision.

I wish you the best of luck =)

L.
Reply 3
Original post by Enavor
Hello!

I assume "optom" is colloquial for optometry?

Incidentally, Chemistry is much more "broader" in terms of optometry, therefore if you end up saying "I don't like working in a chemical atmosphere", then you could use you're chemistry degree to go into alternative disciplines.

Optometry however is a health related field, and the pay is usually respectable - http://www.prospects.ac.uk/optometrist_salary.htm

Also, I think there may be more jobs in optometry than chemistry due to it being health related, but I do not know this for certain.

Conclusively however, you should go by what you like. I'd recommend talking to local universities about the course and then make a decision.

I wish you the best of luck =)

L.

Thank you very much for your help!
I've talked to friends, family, teachers, head of sixth form.. Basically everyone!

Finally made a decision to stick with optometry... So got nothing to worry about now as i already have an offer from Bradford for optometry... Need to focus on getting the grades.. :smile:

And Thank you!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending