Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finding order of halogenoalkane hydrolysis reaction watch

ReputationRep:
    I have data and plotted results for 5 sets of data.
    I recorded the titre of halogenoalkanes against NaOH, quenching the reaction at specific time periods.

I changed the halogenoalkane and the temperature at which the reaction occurred for each of my experiments.

My sets of data are for the following:
    2-Chloro-2-methylpropane @ room temp.
    2-Iodo-2-methylpropane @ room temp.
    2-Bromo-2-methylpropane @ room temp.
    2-Bromo-2-methylpropane @ 40 degrees
    2-Bromo-2-methylpropane @ 50 degrees

Using the titre, I calculated concentration of H+ ions.
    The graphs are of concentration of H+ against time.

What information can I gather from these graphs?
    They all show a positive correlation, curve levels out at the top.

I know that I can calculate the rate of reaction using the initial rates method and drawing a tangent to the curve.

Is there any way I can deduce the order of the reaction?

Can I calculate the activation enthalpy?

I do not know the concentration of the solutions I used apart from NaOH - is there a standard concentration that these halogenoalkanes are usually made up at?

ReputationRep:
    you can calculate the activation energy for the bromoalkane reactions, as you have done that for a series of temperatures (3 temperature, i see you have). Using the Arrhenius equation, you can plot your data to get the activation enthalpy. With the reactions you have done only at a single temperature, sorry, mate, you can't get the activation energy here as you don't have a 'value' for rate at different temp.

hmm, to deduce order of the reaction, you need to change the concentration of the reactant(s) one by one, keeping the others constant. If you know the amount in mole of the substance you have, then you can work out concentration by dividing by total volume of aqueous solutions you have. or if water is not involved, you can work out mass from its density and volume used, then find out the mole, hence you can get the concentration.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.