Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Is there a certain rule when you can and cannot use factorisation to solve a quadratric equation?

I have just started algebra so my knowledge is very limited, however I came across this equation which I am struggling to use factorisation with.

2x^2 + 9x - 7

My understanding is to multiply the co-efficent (or whatever) with the constant, so 2 x -7 = -14.

Then to find 2 numbers that can be multiplied together to make -14 and that add together to make 9. I cannot think of any that would work? 2 x 7 = 14 so can't be that as its negative, -2 x 7 = -14 but -2 + 7 = 5.

Its probably really obvious that I am missing so can anyone politely give me a nudge in the right direction, and if there are rules I am missing then please inform me

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    there might be something I'm missing too but you can use the quadratic formula for things that don't factorise:

using ax^2+bx+c = 0

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/3/c...3ccad7990f.png
    (didn't know how to type out the formula so here's the link to an image of it)

if its still confusing you just ask any questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if the image does not open just type quadratic formula into google images and the one that has b2-4ac in the square root is the formula you need

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah in the end I used the quadratric equation, but I find using that is just long, I thought I was getting the hang of using the factorization method until now. There must be something I am missing. I dont want to waste the page on an exam using the factorisation method when theres a 'rule' when it can't be used, and waste time and marks. This was the question:

2x^2+ 9x – 7 = 0
    Give your solutions correct to 3 significant figures.

Hmm, maybe when theres a zero the factorisation method can't be used and the quadratric equation to be used instead. Just looked up the page and there was another equation with no '=0' on the end and the factorisation method worked for that. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    x=\dfrac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} } {2a}

Yeah, it doesn't look like that quadratic factorizes into rational roots. It would if the first term was negative or the last term was positive, though.

A hint is that when it asks you for 3 s.f., it probably won't be a rational root and you will instead be expected to graph it on a calculator or something.

Of course the quadratic formula always works, but most methods to determine whether it has rational roots or not are based on finding whether the determinant b^2-4ac is a perfect square, which is basically doing the quadratic formula anyways.

After enough practice, you will be able to guess rational roots (if any) more quickly than any identifying method.

ReputationRep:
    All quadratic equations should really be arranged so they're =0 before you solve them - it doesn't affect whether it can be factorised. The clue that this one probably can't be factorised is that it asks for the answer to 3 s.f. If it could be factorised, the solutions for this equation would be either integers or end in .5. It should be solved using the quadratic formula or completing the square.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you could only use the completing square method when there is a '-' sign and both are square numbers. I may be wrong though as I haven't looked into that part yet

ReputationRep:
    Completing the square is just the long way of doing the quadratic formula. By going through the motions of completing the square, you are doing exactly what you would do to the coefficients as you would with the quadratic formula.

Anyways, the =0 thing is a misconception on your part.

If your function is:

f(x)=k(x-r_1)(x-r_1)

then the roots (x-intercepts) are the x values where the following equation holds true:

0=k(x-r_1)(x-r_1)

Namely:

x=r_1,r_2

Can you see why this is so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkletea)
    I thought you could only use the completing square method when there is a '-' sign and both are square numbers. I may be wrong though as I haven't looked into that part yet
    That's difference of two squares.
    You probably haven't come across completing the square yet, so don't worry. It's basically where the formula comes from, so you don't need to memorise the formula to solve equations that don't factorise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aznkid66)
    Completing the square is just the long way of doing the quadratic formula. By going through the motions of completing the square, you are doing exactly what you would do to the coefficients as you would with the quadratic formula.

Anyways, the =0 thing is a misconception on your part.

If your function is:

f(x)=k(x-r_1)(x-r_1)

then the roots (x-intercepts) are the x values where the following equation holds true:

0=k(x-r_1)(x-r_1)

Namely:

x=r_1,r_2

Can you see why this is so?

I'll be honest, I dont understand a word of that lol.

To other poster, nope I haven't come across that part yet then, got the difference of 2 squares mixed up

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically, I'm saying that the roots of a quadratic are its x-intercepts, and x-intercepts are where y=0, so the roots of the quadratic are where it equals 0.

Thus, these two are equivalent:

"Find where x is a root of the quadratic."

"Find the x where the quadratic is equal to 0."

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Is there a certain rule when you can and cannot use factorisation to solve a quadratric equation?

I have just started algebra so my knowledge is very limited, however I came across this equation which I am struggling to use factorisation with.

2x^2 + 9x - 7

My understanding is to multiply the co-efficent (or whatever) with the constant, so 2 x -7 = -14.

Then to find 2 numbers that can be multiplied together to make -14 and that add together to make 9. I cannot think of any that would work? 2 x 7 = 14 so can't be that as its negative, -2 x 7 = -14 but -2 + 7 = 5.

Thank you
    That would work with some modification, but to find that two numbers
    only for real integer (maybe rational) roots will be easy.
    You always can arrange a quadratic to form of
    ax^2+bx+c=0
    Assuming two real roots x_1 and x_2
    then from equation follows
    a(x-x_1)(x-x_2)=0 which is the original equation in another
    form (or factorized by roots)
    Expanding it
    ax^2-a(x_1+x_2)x+ax_1x_2=0
    Looking to the first equation and dividing by a \neq 0
    you will get
    x_1+x_2=-\frac{b}{a}
    x_1\cdot x_2=\frac{c}{a}
    Where x_1 and x_2 are two numbers you wrote.
    THe formula above is known as Viéte formula.

ReputationRep:
    If the equation is in the form ax2+bx+c=0 then basically there is only 1 rule which you have already explained Basically two numbers that add to make b and multiply to make ac. if not then you must ust the quadratic equation or complete the square

ReputationRep:
    full walk through.

2x^2 + 9x - 7

Step.1 multiply 2 and -7 to give -14

step2. find a number that multiply to give -14 and adds to give +9 .. okay there isnt any

step.3 since there are no common factors use the quadratic formula

b=+9 c=-7 a = 2

step4. sub values in and get a solution and through a house party in celebration

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. The other equation was with the 'factorisation' questions on the exam, I guess thats the hint. If there is a lone quadratric equation I wont waste time and just use the equation

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. The other equation was with the 'factorisation' questions on the exam, I guess thats the hint. If there is a lone quadratric equation I wont waste time and just use the equation
    have a quick check to see if you can factorise if you don't notice it within say 20 seconds then just use the formula

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madfish)
    have a quick check to see if you can factorise if you don't notice it within say 20 seconds then just use the formula
    Will do, thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.