Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Part-time student council tax Watch

    • Thread Starter

    So next year I'll be redoing the year as a part-time student, as I've already passed two modules and I'm finishing my dissertation this year. I'm entitled to a full-time student loan as it will only be my fourth year as a student, but as I will only be doing 70 out of 120 credits I will be a part-time student.

    This means as a part-time student I may have to pay council tax on wherever I'm renting. I'll most likely be living with a few full-time students. The website says

    "If you count as an adult for Council Tax and live on your own, you’ll get 25% off your bill.
    You’ll also get a discount if you live with people who don’t count as adults for Council Tax."

    Does this mean the latter is also a 25% discount? Or another percentage? A friend also told me of something about if a part-time student lives with full-time students there's some sort of exemption? Or is he just talking some tax-dodge he figured out?

    There is only one discount, which is the 25% which comes under single person (there are others for disability etc but don't apply here).

    You will be solely reliable for 75% of the council tax of the property.

    This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Thread Starter

    Specific to my area Gwynedd Council says:

    "If everyone who lives in the household are disregarded for the purpose of calculating your Council Tax, then the discount granted could be up to 50%."

    I would be the only person paying in the house.


    "From 1 April 2013, as a result of UK Government legislation, Council Tax Benefit is replaced nationally by local schemes and renamed Council Tax Reduction Scheme. The Welsh Government has designed one scheme to be used by all Councils in Wales.

    The Council Tax Reduction Scheme is means tested, and if you are in receipt of pension credit, income support or on a low income you may be entitled to a reduction."

    I asked and I might qualify for low income with my student loan if I don't have a job
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2013
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.