Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I went for an interview for Computing science at Heriot Watt a few months ago and my interviewer suggested I apply for the information systems degree instead and think about transfering to computing science at after year 1 if I felt up to it. This was because my maths skills are a bit iffy.

I got an offer for information systems and have accepted it as I really wanted to study at Heriot watt.

Any of you guys able to tell me what Informaton systems is like compared to computing science?

Because I didnt go to the information systems interviews I didnt meet anyone else who applied. Did any of you?

Im a little worried about being older than the rest of the intake as I dropped out of highschool and have studied with the Open university to get the qualifications needed for entry. I will be 21 when I go into halls. Will the majority of people in halls be 17-18 or is there often people my age?

Many thanks for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the offer, I'll be starting InfoSys in September too. I failed all but one of my highers so I've spent the last two years in college - so I'll be turning 20 during the academic year.

Most people will be 18/19 with the odd 17 year old coming straight from 5th year at school. What I've gathered from staying in Edinburgh and having lots of friends at HW is that age doesn't particularly matter - 21 isn't much older than 18 anyway. I know people that were older than 21 when they started and they fit right in so don't worry, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Jacobite)
    After a gap year spent mostly travelling I managed to get myself onto an advanced IT school leavers programme with Atos Origin
    The guys that lost the pen drive?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.