Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 2nd year of my Biomedical science degree and we're constantly being told to get work experience...
    But where can you possibly get it?!
    All hospitals in my area refuse to take on undergrads because of safety, timing, staff issues (which is understandable) and i've emailed private labs in my area and they don't take on anyone even for a couple of days
    My tutor has agreed to let me work with her and her PhD students for 5 weeks during the summer to get some experience but i would love to get some work in haematology which at the moment, seems pretty impossible.
    Also, has anyone heard of anyone getting work experience or something in Australia? I've been frantically searching the internet but every link seems to lead to no where related to science
    Anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    In life sciences at my uni we get told to apply for summer work experience all the time too. They don't often mention hospitals though. We're told to find an active researcher in our uni (eg. one of our lecturers) so you'd find a haematologist, ask if they'll let you work in their lab over summer and if they say yes, you both come up with a project idea and apply to funding bodies like the wellcome trust and medical research council for summer studentships. Then you get paid stipends for your project which usually lasts 6-10 weeks depending on the funding body. These are really competitive though and unfortunately most deadlines are between January and march. But this is how we get told to work it.

There are also scholarships out with your own uni you can apply for such as IAESTE and Amgen, often involves international travel though. Or you can apply directly to places such as the Beatson Institute for Cancer Research (again you'd just find an institute you're interested in)

Again though by March/April all these deadlines have passed.
    Wish I could be more helpful, you could always try and apply next year!

*EDIT* if you're in Australia I'd imagine you just find Australian research funding bodies as most of the ones I mentioned are British - but I think it would generally work the same way.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We haven't had anyone tell us about applying for funding for a project the only things we've really been told is that we can email hospitals and private labs (even though they always say no) or ask the researchers if we can hang around with them and their phd students during the summer which I'm planning to do this year. Unfortunately we have no haematology researchers at my uni right now
    I am in the uk I was just wondering if anyone new of any opportunities to go abroad and so work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen090393)
    We haven't had anyone tell us about applying for funding for a project the only things we've really been told is that we can email hospitals and private labs (even though they always say no) or ask the researchers if we can hang around with them and their phd students during the summer which I'm planning to do this year. Unfortunately we have no haematology researchers at my uni right now
    I am in the uk I was just wondering if anyone new of any opportunities to go abroad and so work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can find a haematology lecturer at another uni and email them asking if they'll do a project with you and help you apply for funding. I'm from Glasgow and one of my friends emailed a lab at the Liverpool school of tropical medicine and they agreed to help him apply for a Wellcome Trust summer studentship - hopefully he gets it.

I decided to stay in glasgow and just asked one of my lecturers if I could work in his lab at summer, he said yes and came up with a project for me. We've applied to three funding bodies and heard back from one so far.

The uni didn't give us tonnes of info on applying, I did a lot of research alone into where I could get funding. Though our lecturers did post some links to wellcome trust and MRC on our forums. Finding a project supervisor etc was all up to us, you pretty much have to just beg the lecturers :P you get a million no's but eventually one will be willing to fill out all the funding apps with you! Some unis must just not put as much pressure on getting lab/research experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't think of trying to get one at another uni! My haematology lecturer likes me so I'm sure he'd be willing to help, even though he's the only lecturer I have that isn't also a researcher :/ I'll take a look into finding organisations, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't think of trying to get one at another uni! My haematology lecturer likes me so I'm sure he'd be willing to help, even though he's the only lecturer I have that isn't also a researcher :/ I'll take a look into finding organisations, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that's unlucky! A few of my lecturers who teach really interesting stuff are only on the teaching side and not research too it's a pain.
    Well good luck finding something I hope you get it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 2nd year of my Biomedical science degree and we're constantly being told to get work experience...
    But where can you possibly get it?!
    All hospitals in my area refuse to take on undergrads because of safety, timing, staff issues (which is understandable) and i've emailed private labs in my area and they don't take on anyone even for a couple of days
    My tutor has agreed to let me work with her and her PhD students for 5 weeks during the summer to get some experience but i would love to get some work in haematology which at the moment, seems pretty impossible.
    Also, has anyone heard of anyone getting work experience or something in Australia? I've been frantically searching the internet but every link seems to lead to no where related to science
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Hi there,

If you're still looking for a placement and are interested in the IAESTE programme, the British Council Study Work Create team will be hosting a live Q&A on twitter and facebook on Wednesday 16 October from 2 - 4pm with the IAESTE programme manager to answer all your queries and questions about the work placements.

Use the hashtag #AskIAESTE to take part!
    http://bit.ly/1fGuEpO
    www.twitter.com/StudyWorkCreate www.facebook.com/StudyWorkCreate.BritishCouncil

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.