Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...hypnotherapy?

What was it like?

What did you have it for?

Would you ever have it again?

Would you recommend it?

ReputationRep:
    i tried a few social anxiety hypnosis audios from here: http://www.liberationinmind.com/ ..they're all free

..first few days of listening to them was great.. actually after the first time i almost skipped all the way to uni because i was so happy, i felt like my subconscious was permanently giving me a hug ..then after a couple of weeks i got sick of listening to the same kind of thing over and over again so i gave up.. now i listen to binaural beats and chilling music compilations on youtube

i might return to hypnotherapy again ..not sure yet
    ..but yeah, you should definitely try it it might work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    ...hypnotherapy?

What was it like?

Would you recommend it?
    It surprisingly does work, and you can download clips from various sites. I used it for anxiety, and it helped a lot. Though, I didn't use it continuously because I didn't have the time to squeeze it in, but hopefully will return to it
    It's nothing extremely unusual really, and I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memomemootoo)
    i tried a few social anxiety hypnosis audios from here: http://www.liberationinmind.com/ ..they're all free

..first few days of listening to them was great.. actually after the first time i almost skipped all the way to uni because i was so happy, i felt like my subconscious was permanently giving me a hug ..then after a couple of weeks i got sick of listening to the same kind of thing over and over again so i gave up.. now i listen to binaural beats and chilling music compilations on youtube

i might return to hypnotherapy again ..not sure yet
    ..but yeah, you should definitely try it it might work
    (Original post by ash92:))
    It surprisingly does work, and you can download clips from various sites. I used it for anxiety, and it helped a lot. Though, I didn't use it continuously because I didn't have the time to squeeze it in, but hopefully will return to it
    It's nothing extremely unusual really, and I'd definitely recommend it.
    Oh ok, quite interesting.

I suffer from depression and I have a tendency to become overly anxious sometimes - over-analysing, constantly worrying about the most petty things, thinking of the worst case scenario, a sense of dread, feeling constantly "on edge," irritability etc etc. I have suffered with bouts of depression since I was a child, and depression and anxiety have both blighted my life for far too long.

I have had counselling in the past and I have decided to refer myself to have CBT in my uni town, but I was also curious to try hypnotherapy, seeing as a friend of mine mentioned it. I could try to see if there are any hypnotherapy services in the area, but I'd like to try hypnotherapy online.

I also want to try psychotherapy, but that's another thing - I might see if the service in my hometown offers CBT and psychotherapy together.

ReputationRep:
    ...hypnotherapy?

What was it like?

Would you recommend it?
    Im currently using a self hypothes ap for confidence building, confidence hasnt improved yet (youre meant to use it for 3 weeks to get full effect and I only used it for just over a week) but I feel more calm. I just got to wait and see what happens. One of my sisters (for weight loss) and brother (for public speaking) have had it my sister said it worked for a few weeks (however she said she was told to keep it up with the recording she was given but didnt bother) and my brother said it worked for him and improved his confidence to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used hypnotherapy for a severe phobia of insects (like I couldn't open my windows ever and found it hard to go anywhere with plants in summer or risk panic attack bad).

I only had the one session since where we went it was quite expensive (£60 for about an hour/hour and a half I think, with a private person who's "office" (which was a really comfy chair in a conservatory that had a pond running through it) was at his house. I did see ones with "proper" offices which were only £40 an hour and had a free consultancy session beforehand where they talk about your needs, but my mum decided she preferred this one).

The experience itself was very relaxing, I had a blanket and there was that nice plinky plonky music playing. He told me before we started that I might remember all, some or none of it and it was fine if I feel asleep. I didn't fall asleep and I only remember some of it, but it basically relied on imagination mostly that he walked me through. Go down 10 stairs, there was a hallway and a door leading to my fave place (a meadow) which I walked through seeing all the bee families living their happy bee lives (Obvs orientated around my specific phobia which he'd be informed about over the phone before we met) till I reached a library of my life. I then had to think about what I wanted to achieve and such and write it down on a new page in my "Book of life". We then retraced the process till I was back up the stairs and done.

The next day I held a preserved insect in my hand that the week before I had left out of my chair to get away from.

It didn't fully cure me, but for one session it did really well. My abilities to cope were massively improved and I've been trying to get the rest of the way on my own by immersing myself into environments where I will encounter insects, even holding a live 2 inch long hissing cockroach a few weeks ago (about 2.5 years after my session). If I had the money I would go back, ideally after the first session I would have had a follow up session where I would present notes from an "encounter" diary and then go under again to regress to the point where I got my fear. I'm sure I'd be much better now, or at this stage (only fast moving and flying insects are my worries now) sooner if I had. If someone gave me the money, then I definitely would do it again.

I would recommend it, since it worked so well for me, though I'm not sure if works for everyone. I was determined for it to work, which may have been a factor. I considered psychotherapy, but the methods wouldn't have worked for me, since it often seemed to include presenting me with my fear, which as previous attempts showed me, just made me feel worse. My hypnotherapist told me some counties (not mine unfortunately) allow you to have it through the NHS if its a serious problem, though this was a while ago, so I'm not sure if that's still the case, no harm in checking though.

Good luck
    (And sorry for the long post :P)

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok, quite interesting.

I suffer from depression and I have a tendency to become overly anxious sometimes - over-analysing, constantly worrying about the most petty things, thinking of the worst case scenario, a sense of dread, feeling constantly "on edge," irritability etc etc. I have suffered with bouts of depression since I was a child, and depression and anxiety have both blighted my life for far too long.

I have had counselling in the past and I have decided to refer myself to have CBT in my uni town, but I was also curious to try hypnotherapy, seeing as a friend of mine mentioned it. I could try to see if there are any hypnotherapy services in the area, but I'd like to try hypnotherapy online.

I also want to try psychotherapy, but that's another thing - I might see if the service in my hometown offers CBT and psychotherapy together.
    Yup, symptoms are standard - unfortunately

You could try thechangeworks or Joseph Clough?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.