Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young people could be given a curfew on the roads Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion I think this is insulting to the majority of young drivers. As the top commenter on this site said we didn't spend tons on lessons, a car, insurance an MOT and tyres to not be allowed out at night. Maybe the reason why we got a car was because we couldn't get home from work or uni at night as it is!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21937188

So if a 23 year old finishes a job at night he'll have to catch the bs home instead and leave his car? A curfew is just stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    just grow a massive beard

ReputationRep:
    They can take away our freedom but they'll never take away our cars!!

ReputationRep:
    Voluntary curfew with the incentive being reduced insurance premiums? Would still hit the night commuters pretty hard though.

EDIT: whoever suggested limiting the number of passengers in young people's cars is a complete dunce. What will that result in? More young people needing to drive obviously!

Also... my maths is a little rusty, but 20% of accidents involve a driver under 24. Given that most collisions will involve at least 2 drivers, maybe more, that doesn't tell us about how many collisions involved over 24s. It could be much higher than the 80% you'd naturally first assume. That stat tells us nothing about how dangerous young drivers are.

I'm sure somewhere along the line someone has done the maths properly, but based on this article we really know nothing of the important numbers here.

ReputationRep:
    That 23 year old might get raped on his/her way to/from the bus stop and the government is encouraging that with a curfew. Ahhh government .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Voluntary curfew with the incentive being reduced insurance premiums? Would still hit the night commuters pretty hard though.
    Quite a lot of jobs these days are 'unsociable hours' too. They seem to think that young people don't work after 6pm and we're all a home getting ready to go out and get smashed. I work until 11pm sometimes. We don't all work in retail! We don't all live down south either. Up north public transport is so so so poor. There isn't even a tram round here and this city is massive (Leeds)

How about the government investing in education instead of pushing more punishment and more policy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From my personal experience, British kids only grow up around 25 so the policy is very sensible indeed. yeah they may have jobs and kids and other social commitments but the ugly truth still surfaces in the form of binge drinking and substance abuse.
    Nobody wants to get killed by a drunk **** making his way back home after a night of clubbing, and that's what most people under 25 in this country are from my observation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    From my personal experience, British kids only grow up around 25 so the policy is very sensible indeed. yeah they may have jobs and kids and other social commitments but the ugly truth still surfaces in the form of binge drinking and substance abuse.
    Nobody wants to get killed by a drunk **** making his way back home after a night of clubbing, and that's what most people under 25 in this country are from my observation.
    This is completely ridiculous, you can't judge the entire under 25 population of the UK as binge drinking substance abusers.
    As was said before, it's all about education.
    I'm 18, many of my friends can drive and come to parties but drink nothing but red bull before driving home. If anything we are more careful as we know the consequences in terms of insurance etc are so more severe for us. It's just not worth the risk.
    Labelling us all under that stereotype is just unfair and majorly untrue.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

ReputationRep:
    That is the most blind, ignorant and insulting piece of drivel I have read in a while. Most young people don't drive home after a night out. Having a curfew is morally wrong unless you can just opt into it. Forcing it upon young people would be just plain wrong.

Most of the population who drunk drive are actually middle aged people, who unbeknown to them, are still over the limit the next morning. I have actually been convicted for it, from the next morning. Having completed the drink driving course, there was only me and one other person under 25 out of 20 people.

So shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well from my observations no person I have ever met has considered drunk driving to be an acceptable practice, and on the whole it is taken very seriously. Even people who like to drink a lot don't drive well drinking, they leave it at home and get a taxi instead. I think that you'll find the majority of drink drivers are middle aged people anyway. This isn't the States were drunk driving is a more prevalent issue, its one area that I believe the United Kingdom has the right attitude towards, that of zero tolerance and condemnation.

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love the outraged commentators. I merely presented you all with my vision of the situation, surely if everything was alright with young people driving responsibly at night such measures would not be proposed.

ReputationRep:
    Young people are having a hard enough time finding jobs as it is without saying 'i cant take this job because im not allowed out after a certain time, so cant travel home'. it wont happen, how ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    Your observations are poor then. The majority of young people are responsible citizens who don't drink and drive. The chavviest I know aren't even that stupid. A problem that's been blown up by the media and politicians

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ridiculous that another human being thinks they have the rights to tell another person they can't drive their car on this earth past a certain time at night

no one owns the earth

it's merely a speckle of dust drifting around aimlessly in a beautiful cosmos of nuclear explosions and super novas spanning billions of light years across

Some ball sack in government does not have the right to tell someone they can drive somewhere on this good earth past a certain time

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love the outraged commentators. I merely presented you all with my vision of the situation, surely if everything was alright with young people driving responsibly at night such measures would not be proposed.
    Or the government are just looking for more ways to make money whilst seemingly caring for our safety.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

ReputationRep:
    Then maybe drink driving should be illegal then? Oh wait, it is.

There's no point in the police stopping and arresting drivers under 25 because they might be drunk, when they could actually check if they are drunk when they stop them.

It think the curfew idea is ridiculous. I'm sure there are a lot of immature under 25s out there who do drive dangerously. But you're going to make life harder for the ones that aren't like that and are actually responsible adults with responsibilities that sometimes require them to drive at night. Unemployment is bad enough as it is for young people, now you're making it even harder because it would be practically impossible for an under 25 to do a night shift.

ReputationRep:
    This is a clear breach of individual freedoms. ****ING disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how such an idea is enforceable.

The police are rarely out on the roads at night and I doubt they are going to spend their time stopping every person that looks under the age of 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I don't really see how such an idea is enforceable.

The police are rarely out on the roads at night and I doubt they are going to spend their time stopping every person that looks under the age of 25.
    Plus one of the places with the highest drink driving rates in the UK is Harrogate. The population there is mainly older and Middle aged lol. Nothing will change

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think this is ridiculous. They should punish the people who cause the accidents, not everybody else! I do not drive, but I honestly wonder what is happening to the trust between people in this country. They are making the upper age limit for everything 25. It used to be 21. Supermarkets even take 25, but I don't look older, I look younger! So I cannot buy anything monitored until I am like 30 (I cannot afford a passport, nor do I have the id I need to get one)! Then support to pay for housing has been removed until we get to 25, this does not look good at all.

Anyway, this is not fair on those that need to travel at night. We pay tax but for what? We get treated like little children imo. Children that have to pay tax to the government that shuns us and with half the rights -_-. They are trying to get people into employment, but how is that going to work with a curfew that prevents them getting night-shift jobs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.