Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to apply to medicine next year and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on why St. Andrews is so lowly rated for medicine?
    It is highly rated overall, but the complete uni guide places it bottom of the league table, why?

is there something wrong with the teaching?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by faroneon)
    I am hoping to apply to medicine next year and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on why St. Andrews is so lowly rated for medicine?
    It is highly rated overall, but the complete uni guide places it bottom of the league table, why?

Hi there, firstly, welcome to TSR! You're in a good place for this kind of advice.

I wouldn't pay any attention to rankings if I were you. They literally don't matter at all. I just had a quick look at the league table (can't believe Glasgow and St. A have fallen so low from last year), but I'm at Edinburgh, and think I'd have been equally as happy at Glasgow. They're both at polar ends of the table!
    We have a little myth-busting wiki that talks about why this stuff doesn't matter. To keep it brief for you: it doesn't matter what medical school you go to because it doesn't influence your job prospects, and every medical school is strictly regulated by the GMC so that they're all of a high standard - so you should be choosing medical schools based on how you like the course structure, teaching style, and city. Things like that!

Now onto why I think, especially, rankings mean absolutely nothing for UG medicine: even though this should be a big clue as to why!

Student Satisfaction - they're asking people graduating; so the system will be 5-6 years old by the time they graduate. They might have totally shaken the system up in that time. Besides, even if it was a reliable measurement, St A's is pretty high. Tied for 2nd!

Research assessment - doesn't really matter for UG education.

UCAS Tariff - somehow entrants having higher grades = better uni? Nah. All the universities have pretty similar entry requirements as far as A level grades go, and the difference is probably due to the AS/GCSE requirements of the unis, as well as the type of people that they attract. It's also worth saying that no medical school really seems to have a more "competent" body of students or graduates than another.

Graduate prospects - the name of the university you go to isn't something that plays a factor in your graduate prospects for medicine. The assessors have no idea what uni you go to!

(Original post by laurie:))
    x
    While you're here, I have a question: when you finish med school, does St. Andrews award you the PMQ? Or is it your clinical school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    While you're here, I have a question: when you finish med school, does St. Andrews award you the PMQ? Or is it your clinical school?
    PMQ?

we graduate from St Andrews with a BSc in medicine, and then graduate again from our clinical schools with an MBChB - so it is technically our clinical schools that award us it

i'm not sure exactly why, but it may have something to do with the fact that people don't actually graduate from st andrews itself as qualified doctors? shouldn't matter what ranked medical schools you apply to anyway, as where you went isn't a factor when you apply for jobs and such

either way, i'm currently studying at St Andrews and i think it is fab although i may be a bit biased there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    PMQ?

we graduate from St Andrews with a BSc in medicine, and then graduate again from our clinical schools with an MBChB - so it is technically our clinical schools that award us it

i'm not sure exactly why, but it may have something to do with the fact that people don't actually graduate from st andrews itself as qualified doctors? shouldn't matter what ranked medical schools you apply to anyway, as where you went isn't a factor when you apply for jobs and such

either way, i'm currently studying at St Andrews and i think it is fab although i may be a bit biased there
    couple of things, if thats alright?

1, Does the BSc count in your FPAS application? I know that you get points for doing an intercalated degree, so does the one from St. Andrew's count?

2, Do Doctors who went to St. Andrews tend to say they studied at St. Andrews or where they did the clinical years? (seems like a weird question i know)

ReputationRep:

1, Does the BSc count in your FPAS application? I know that you get points for doing an intercalated degree, so does the one from St. Andrew's count?

2, Do Doctors who went to St. Andrews tend to say they studied at St. Andrews or where they did the clinical years? (seems like a weird question i know)
    sure happy to help!

1 - as far as i know, it does. you get a certain amount of points for a 2:ii, a 2:i or a 1st.

2 - i have no idea. it probably depends on the doctor, to be honest. it is one of those things that i have wondered though in some places i have seen it written Dr Blahblahblah - St Andrews and [insert clinicals], so its not just forgotten or anything.

ReputationRep:

Any additional degree counts, whether it's intercalated, taken before medical school, a BSc, a BA, etc. Currently the only one that gets less points is the Nottingham 'intercalated' BMedSci, because they do it within 3rd year so it doesn't add any time to the overall length of the course.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is ranked lower as it only offers the preclinical degree. The teaching is excellent and we get a really good grounding for the clinical years plus the points for later.
    The lack of clinical exposure prob goes against us, but we do get taught clinical things and see patients over the 3 years of the degree.
    Basically a medical degree is what you make of it, and as long as you graduate and pass in the end does it really matter where you go??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.