Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Why do the media actively promote swearing as if it's no big deal? If you try to watch almost any post-watershed television it'll be full of swearing. I understand people swearing in real life but this is in supposed works of art like song lyrics, films and TV programs. Surely if these people are such literary and comic greats they can express things without blaring vulgarities in viewers ears. Why is the media so casual about swearing?

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed this. It was particularly obvious in Utopia. I don't know why they do it to be honest; perhaps it's sometimes some sort of a knee-jerk reaction to the success of The Thick Of It. I think it can only ever cheapen the program.

ReputationRep:
    Sitting and whining about the way a show uses language is as bad as going up to a writer and telling them not to swear to much in their book. If you don't like a show which has a warned you that it includes 'strong language' then don't watch it.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Swearing for realness or effect is appropriate and appreciated; swearing for its own sake is only annoying. Excessive swearing in song lyrics is lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Sitting and whining about the way a show uses language is as bad as going up to a writer and telling them not to swear to much in their book. If you don't like a show which has a warned you that it includes 'strong language' then don't watch it.
    There is certain instances where swearing is fine but in the vast majority of cases there are much better alternatives and it's seems to only be there because the writer isn't articulate enough to put something less mundane in. Celo Greens Forget You is a perfect example, it works just as well so why write it as **** You, the only reason I can see is shallow audiences who want swearing or rubbish artists who only use real words when they are forced to by conventions like radio stations preferring not to shove the F word down peoples throats.

ReputationRep:
    What is so wrong about swearing? Maybe it's more realistic than them not swearing at all. I see nothing wrong with it, it says it contains strong language before the program so if you don't like it don't watch it. Plus they do it at times where children are less likely to watch it. Nothing wrong here.

However excessive swearing because of the lack of a better word is a problem as it really doesn't suit certain people who try to force it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    There is certain instances where swearing is fine but in the vast majority of cases there are much better alternatives and it's seems to only be there because the writer isn't articulate enough to put something less mundane in. Celo Greens Forget You is a perfect example, it works just as well so why write it as **** You, the only reason I can see is shallow audiences who want swearing or rubbish artists who only use real words when they are forced to by conventions like radio stations preferring not to shove the F word down peoples throats.
    Who's forcing you to watch a show? Who's forcing you to listen to a certain song or read a certain book with swear words? No one. Either grow a pair and stop trying to control what an artist wishes to portray or keep whining on about how obscene the media is. Frankly you have no real reason to complain, shows are on after certain times - they don't affect minors. There are no public swear words played or written unless in private radio shows or books. You're not simply content with the measures we have already, you just want to stamp out any vulgarity even if it's not in front of you.

If it were up to people like you some of the greatest pieces of literature, film and music would never have been created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Who's forcing you to watch a show? Who's forcing you to listen to a certain song or read a certain book with swear words? No one. Either grow a pair and stop trying to control what an artist wishes to portray or keep whining on about how obscene the media is. Frankly you have no real reason to complain, shows are on after certain times - they don't affect minors. There are no public swear words played or written unless in private radio shows or books. You're not simply content with the measures we have already, you just want to stamp out any vulgarity even if it's not in front of you.

If it were up to people like you some of the greatest pieces of literature, film and music would never have been created.
    Bam. Agree with this. Artists should have freedom of expression, that's the whole point of art and media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)

I haven't advocated banning the use of swearing in media, just expressed my annoyance at it. You've equated criticising something with wanting it banned = logic fail. Most shows aimed at anyone over 15 feature some swearing so choosing not to watch any sure with swearing is purely impractical and very limiting. Also minors can find pretty easily come across swearing all over the place by accident given the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't advocated banning the use of swearing in media, just expressed my annoyance at it.
    Really?

they can express things without
    but in the vast majority of cases there are much better alternatives and it's seems to only be there because the writer isn't articulate enough to put something less mundane in.

Also minors can find pretty easily come across swearing all over the place by accident given the internet
    So I suppose some wide-spread censorship of the swear words across the web is in order? Or maybe parental control/child lock could just solve everything instead of trying to infringe upon freedom of expression? You sound like an overbearing nanny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Really?
    Yes, really. Neither of those posts say we should ban swearing they say the artists in question could use a different word. Saying somebody could do something differently doesn't equate to saying you want to ban them from doing it. I can suggest the pope as a person could be better if he wasn't Catholic, it doesn't mine I want to infringe his right to be a Catholic. Learn to read.

So I suppose some wide-spread censorship of the swear words across the web is in order? Or maybe parental control/child lock could just solve everything instead of trying to infringe upon freedom of expression? You sound like an overbearing nanny.
    That's not what I meant but there's some massive impracticalities you're ignoring anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people get upset/offended over swearing, they are just words that you have attached particular meanings to, but in itself they mean nothing so why complain about the frequency of it? Swear words are not offensive within themselves, you are purely choosing to be offended by them.

ReputationRep:
    Find me a literary great who never swore, in both life and literature, and I'll take your point as remotely valid. Until then, it is evidently a natural (and important) aspect of the English language and has an effect that cannot be imitated by any polite 'alternatives' as you put it.

Your reaction is testament to the wonderful impact swearing can have on an array of platforms. Film, television, music and literature primarily. It is an emotive tool, a literary tool in fact, and those who view it as 'vulgar' or a 'sign of a poor vocabulary' are both close-minded and immature.

You are demonising words, it's utterly ridiculous. All words are brilliant in one way or another and all words tell a story. I find it remarkable that anyone above the age of twelve could possible be offended by swearing, more so when it is not even directed at them! A synonym for the female genitalia is surely more comical than insulting? No?

I don't know anyone who doesn't swear. Furthermore, I don't know anyone who is actually offended by it. We seem to maintain this farcical illusion that we find it offensive, when in reality it's a total non-issue and we're simply pretending on behalf of others.

Fair enough, do not swear in front of children. I would never do this as it is simply good manners. However your initial complaint regards post-watershed entertainment aimed at adults. Thus, it has little or no value and merely encapsulates the viewpoint of a prissy and self-righteous individual.

(Stephen Fry encapsulates this viewpoint brilliantly here.)

ReputationRep:
    My friend was saying I should halt my swearing. I really don't see the problem here, why in a non professional setting you'll be offended... Its not even directed at you ffs.

We're not Nazi saluting or anything like that just saying a word to accentuate our feelings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.