Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to start a book club for ESL students at intermediate level, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have the location, though I don't know how to make it profitable. I'd be running it In a bookshop, so we'd place a bulk order of the book we decide to read. What else do you think I could do to make it fun and enjoyable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by sunfowers01)
    I'd like to start a book club for ESL students at intermediate level, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have the location, though I don't know how to make it profitable. I'd be running it In a bookshop, so we'd place a bulk order of the book we decide to read. What else do you think I could do to make it fun and enjoyable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Well, it would probably make sense to have clear topics of discussion drawn up before the meetings happen; that way, people are more confident about what they want to talk about and there's more discussion in general. I suppose one thing you could do is to try and link the themes/incidents of whatever book you're reading to personal experience. By ESL, do you mean students for whom English is a foreign language? You might also discuss cultural differences and stuff if that's the case.

One possible way to cut costs could be to see if any publishers might be willing to give copies of the book for cheap or even free (if you explain that it's for a student book club, then this might work - though it would probably have to be a non-profit venture).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.