Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, basically today was LSE open day and during the subject talk for economics (which I had originally planned to do) the lady speaking mentioned several times that it is a very maths intensive course and that 70% of those who apply for it have further maths. Has anyone done this course or economics elsewhere and if so is there truly a really great deal of maths involved? I don't do further maths so will I be heavily disadvantaged because of that? :/ I don't HATE maths but it isn't something I really really enjoy :/ thanks for any replies

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics is very quantitative, especially at top universities such as LSE, UCL and Cambridge. Durham is less quantitative (as it's a BA, not a BSc) however there's still maths involved. There's a reason why they ask for an A* in maths, and most prefer further maths too.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra..._BSc_Econ.aspx

Just look at that page - 'Further Maths is preferred and seen as a 4th subject'. Scroll down and look at the module selection - mathematical methods, statistical methods, econometrics.. All maths
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lameesh)
    Hi everyone, basically today was LSE open day and during the subject talk for economics (which I had originally planned to do) the lady speaking mentioned several times that it is a very maths intensive course and that 70% of those who apply for it have further maths. Has anyone done this course or economics elsewhere and if so is there truly a really great deal of maths involved? I don't do further maths so will I be heavily disadvantaged because of that? :/ I don't HATE maths but it isn't something I really really enjoy :/ thanks for any replies

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbh, if you're looking at the top universities for Economics you'll find that a lot of them will be maths-intensive. If you don't enjoy maths you could always look at joint courses which place less emphasis on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    If you look outside LSE (and Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick etc.) there are less Maths-intensive Economics courses. For example, Sheffield have separate streams for their Economics courses for those with and without A-level Maths. But it's true that most Econ courses will be mathematical. Have you thought about Economic History?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You!Me!Dancing!)
    If you look outside LSE (and Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick etc.) there are less Maths-intensive Economics courses. For example, Sheffield have separate streams for their Economics courses for those with and without A-level Maths. But it's true that most Econ courses will be mathematical. Have you thought about Economic History?
    The thing is I'm looking to stay inside London :/ so limits my choices, I'm reallyyyy not into history but I've been searching other unis and SOAS seems good - def less maths intensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Economics is very quantitative, especially at top universities such as LSE, UCL and Cambridge. Durham is less quantitative (as it's a BA, not a BSc) however there's still maths involved. There's a reason why they ask for an A* in maths, and most prefer further maths too.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra..._BSc_Econ.aspx

Just look at that page - 'Further Maths is preferred and seen as a 4th subject'. Scroll down and look at the module selection - mathematical methods, statistical methods, econometrics.. All maths
    Yeah, I'm beginning to think LSE isn't for me - I didn't do further cos I wouldn't enjoy it let alone a maths based degree! Thinking to aim lower in terms of unis, thanks for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do further maths pre-LSE and took all of the most quant courses including many options from the maths department and got a high first.

MA100 assumes no knowledge of FM and goes way beyond it by the end of the year so you really will be OK as long as you're not put off by new maths material.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to do banking or something after try and look up a joint degree at a top uni.
    economics is highly popular so doing a less mathematical course at a less good uni may benifit you in your three years at uni, but wont do you any favours when your looking for jobs
    if i were you try and find a joint course at a topp uni that would suit you
    hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.