Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Puppy (12 weeks) too scared to go for walk... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, we got a puppy a lil over 2 weeks ago and he had his last vaccination last week. So, now he can go outside, problem is he is too scared to move when he is out there...

Help?

Pic of pup included (for you all to say "awww") lol. Also, is it typical of these breeds to be nervous (king charles cavalier)?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  IMG_0825.JPG
Views: 2268
Size:  35.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Don't have to force it, just give it time, he is only 12 weeks old

Leave the door open and try to lead him out without being forceful, he'll pluck the courage to follow you eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't force him.

Is he okay with the lead on inside? If so, just open the front door with him and keep nice and calm and relaxed and playful and see if he'll go outside. If he does, don't take him far, keep it really short and fun. If he likes foods or toys, take advantage of this and make it a Lead = Awesome! type thing. Have fun, keep it short, and he'll grow to love it with confidence.

It sounds a bit silly but do some research into calming signals, depending on the dog (socialization, etc - might be too young) doing certain things like yawning can help dogs keep calmer.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried taking him out but carrying him, that way he'll get used to being outside without having to walk himself and having you to protect him.
    Other than that you could try giving him treats outside to make him associate walking with praise and a positive experience.

ReputationRep:
    My Jack Russell used to be like that. We got her used to it by taking her out into the garden on the lead when she needed the loo, and then gradually just taking her further and further until she was happy. If you just get the dog used to a specific route and then do the same one everyday it'll eventually walk with no issues. If it gets really difficult then just carry the dog for a little bit and show it that there's nothing to be afraid of.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about handling dogs but I am dying of cuteness overload....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad_moose)
    My Jack Russell used to be like that. We got her used to it by taking her out into the garden on the lead when she needed the loo, and then gradually just taking her further and further until she was happy. If you just get the dog used to a specific route and then do the same one everyday it'll eventually walk with no issues. If it gets really difficult then just carry the dog for a little bit and show it that there's nothing to be afraid of.

I agree with this as that's what I did with my dog.Loves the lead now,in fact when she wants to go walkies she will sit in the kitchen and keep looking up at the top of the fridge freezer because thats where her lead is kept.

ReputationRep:
    When I got my dog (a staffy) she was scared to go up or downstairs or through my kitchen.

It will pass but you must persevere and also the dog will pick up on any nervousness from you so remain calm but alert when you're out with him.

ReputationRep:
    I have a puppy who's 15 weeks old and he has only just this week become brave enough to actually move on a walk! Before we had to literally drag him just to get to the end of the street! I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's quite normal! Your puppy will soon get used to it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Our Labrador puppy used to be like that, she wouldn't budge on a lead, if i took her off the lead and trail it on the floor she'd follow but wouldn't move when it was attached to her, we used to put her lead on around the house for like 5 mins, and then take her out in the back garden with the lead on, we'd also have her out in the front garden, and i think she realised the only way to get out of the garden was on the lead so eventually she'd start walking, but she always 'walked herself' in a sense, she has to hold the lead in her mouth, still now she does it :')
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can tell you a thing or two about my dog. First it was afraid of to go for a walk in the swamp, but in the following time my dog got used to it after I was able to allay the fears towards strange dogs which was the main reason. Perhaps your dog is afraid of dogs too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Well, we got a puppy a lil over 2 weeks ago and he had his last vaccination last week. So, now he can go outside, problem is he is too scared to move when he is out there...

Help?

Pic of pup included (for you all to say "awww") lol. Also, is it typical of these breeds to be nervous (king charles cavalier)?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    give it time, hes tiny and scared of everything, his roaming instincts havent kicked in yet.

He will in time

ReputationRep:
    watch dog whisperer (srs)

he covers everything yo uever need to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    watch dog whisperer (srs)

he covers everything yo uever need to know!
    I don't usually watch those things because there is usually something going on behind the scenes. I think I read somewhere that he uses shock collars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Hey Guys;

Help?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I know that look he's got on his face, it's the one people make when they've had one too many shots and things are about to get messy. Imagine his cheeks filling up with vomit.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Basically what other people have said, try walking him on a lead round the house to get him used to it.

Will he go outside to pee? If so try walking him round the garden on a lead too, if not maybe leave some nice food where he can see it outside the back door and leave it open for a bit to see if he goes out even when you're not there watching- if my dog's scared of something she'll sometimes investigate it herself when we're not watching (or when she thinks we're not) to find out.

The other thing is, maybe you go outside and play with his favourite toy or something where he can see without necessarily encouraging him directly, just to show it's safe- you never know, he might come and join in.

In general, just try and limit the things he's scared of- if you make him comfortable with all the little bits and give it time, hopefully he'll be happy with it overall sometime! The main thing is just make a big fuss when he does do it, maybe if he associates it woth a treat to start off with he might go out more readily.

This is just experience with my dog being scared of strange things (namely anything non-living that moves, especially moving water!), hope it helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I first started taking my dog out for walks I'd carry him around outside as he was a puppy, so he could get used to the sounds and sights of cars going by etc, as well as walking him on his lead in the garden.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.