Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is currently applying for NQT positions- he’s had 4 interviews so far, which is about half of the jobs he’s applied for. He’s had good feedback from all four schools. He got down to the last two for one of the schools and he’s been praised for both his interview and his lessons (on separate occasions, for example in one school he was told his interview was very strong but his lesson wasn’t quite good enough, but another school told him his lesson was excellent but he was a bit too nervous in the interview). He’s getting really frustrated and I don’t know what to say to him. I want to help or offer him some advice but not having done a PGCE or anything to do with teaching myself, I don’t know what I can say. Is this common? How likely is he to get a job?

ReputationRep:
    Very common! The teaching jobs market is pretty cut-throat at the moment, I think the best advice is to tell him to keep going don't get disheartened. He is getting interviews and is also doing well in them! This is more than can be said for lots of other NQTs at this point.

Keep going with the applications and his time will come! The TES Jobseekers forum is a good place to go as they have experts to answer any queries.

Good luck to your boyfriend for the next interview!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.