The Student Room Group

Mum wants to loan money from me

Hi, i'm 22 years old, i work full-time, still live at home, hoping to move out in 2 months time.

Anyway my mum is starting up her own business, and wants me to invest £600 in the start-up of her own business. I can afford to lend her the money but i'm worried about whether i will ever get it back. As i am on a good wage she expects me to pay for things outright i.e new washing machine,
i pay rent each week, i am trying to save up for my own future, am i being selfish?

What would you do.
Reply 1
yes you are. Thats ur mother. I'd do anything for mine, they give birth to u bring u up, do everything for u, any u can't buy her a couple of things here and now? repay her for the 22 odd years she's fed and clothed u, then complain!
Reply 2
Sit her down, discuss with her her business plan and tell her if you're investing part in her business you want some say in how its run. You have a good wage, enough to buy washing machines and pay rent and loan your mother £600 so clearly you're sensible with money, enough to help her with this business idea. I don't know your mother or her business plan, but you do so trust your instincts and base your decision on that. If you think her business will fail, I wouldn't suggest helping her out but if it gives her a valid chance of starting a good business then go for it :smile:
I would talk to her about the business plan. If you think it's a good idea then loan her the £600, if you don't then tell her you're really sorry but you don't believe it's a sound investment.

Personally I'd loan my mum the money if I could afford it. I'm on a pretty poor wage but have loaned my mum a couple of thousand. I might not get it back but I know it's helped her a huge amount and after all she's done for me I'm happy to do what I can for her.
Original post by John911
Hi, i'm 22 years old, i work full-time, still live at home, hoping to move out in 2 months time.

Anyway my mum is starting up her own business, and wants me to invest £600 in the start-up of her own business. I can afford to lend her the money but i'm worried about whether i will ever get it back. As i am on a good wage she expects me to pay for things outright i.e new washing machine,
i pay rent each week, i am trying to save up for my own future, am i being selfish?

What would you do.

Personally, I never do business with family. But with that said, I don't think they'd ever be in a position to ask me for money. You could just give her the money, rather than investing, then you wouldn't need to worry about returns.

edit: alternatively, you could make yourself the director, and her the secretary, and you own majority shares, but pay her a wage from the earnings of the company... If you thought it was a good idea, then you could ensure you got returns.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by anoon
yes you are. Thats ur mother. I'd do anything for mine, they give birth to u bring u up, do everything for u, any u can't buy her a couple of things here and now? repay her for the 22 odd years she's fed and clothed u, then complain!

Yes that is her mother and she deserves respect but does it mean her mum should expect her daughter to lend her money at a moments notice. Yes her mum brought her up she can buy her the odd washing machine here and there. £600 is a lot of money for something that might not even work out when her daughter is trying to save up for a house/rent deposit.

My mum constantly expected me to have money all the time because I worked and because she was awful with money expected to just give up my car when hers broke and things like that. If she was starving and needed help, I'd help her but not because she has been reckless with her own money - I have a life too.

OP - if you think your mum will pay it back, doesn't ask for things like this all of the time, you can spare the money and your mum doesn't EXPECT you to pay then lend her it. But when people start to expect you to do things like this, I would say no.
Reply 6
Original post by John911

What would you do.

Get a share in the business. That way you still won't get it back when she messes up, but you will benefit for sure if she does do well.
Original post by John911

What would you do.

I personally wouldn't do it unless it's for something important .. like a life or death situation, food, heating, rent etc

I loan my mum money all the damn time, but when I ask for it back she comes with an attitude like I don't owe her anything because she has taken care of me since birth!

SO moral of the story ... don't borrow money to family. They are unlikely to treat it like a REAL loan, simply because your family. She may pay you back but not at the same speed as she would if it was not a family member .. no what i mean ?
Reply 8
Original post by chanelleisme
I personally wouldn't do it unless it's for something important .. like a life or death situation, food, heating, rent etc

I loan my mum money all the damn time, but when I ask for it back she comes with an attitude like I don't owe her anything because she has taken care of me since birth!

SO moral of the story ... don't borrow money to family. They are unlikely to treat it like a REAL loan, simply because your family. She may pay you back but not at the same speed as she would if it was not a family member .. no what i mean ?

That's your family though, you can't just generalize every single family based on yours. How naive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending