Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I live in a student house and everyone except me has gone home for easter. There has been a builder coming in this week to build a wall to separate the living room from the stairs, he was supposed to only be here yesterday and today but the work is not finished and all his stuff is still here so obviously he will be back tomorrow.

Our fridge is plugged into a socket in the living room (the cable runs through the kitchen door) and yesterday when I got home it was unplugged. I didn't even bother checking the fridge as everything in the freezer was barely cold so the food is ruined. Because of this, I left it unplugged. Today I've come home and it's now plugged in (so it has been unplugged at least 24 hours, but up to 36) and there is no warning note or anything from the builder to let me know his mistake. This kind of makes me think that he's tried to hide what he's done in the hope that I'll never realise. I'm definitely going to complain to our letting agency, because all the food is ruined and needs to be replaced.

Aside from that, I want to know whether you think it is justified to mention all the other annoyances. Both yesterday and today I've come home to find the toilet seat up (which on its own would be fine) but he's done a number 1 and not only NOT flushed the toilet, but has also missed (if you catch my drift) meaning I've had to get down and clean a grown man's wee... Also, he's walked over the bath mat for god knows what reason and it's now covered in boot prints. The sink is filthy and covered in plaster where he's been washing materials, and the kitchen work-surface is covered in food where he's made himself something and not cleaned up. There's washing up left for me in the sink, and dirty cups just left lying in the hallway. Plus, when I got home the light was on - last time I checked it was us not him that had to pay the electric.

Basically I want to know if these are valid things to say to the letting agents, or if I'm being a bit OCD (I'm quite over-the-top with cleanliness). It annoys me even more because throughout the year he's been lying to the agency, telling them he's fixed things when he hasn't, so I think the fact that I already don't like him is making these things seem worse. Thoughts?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For ****'s sake. I'd be really annoyed with him - you're not his damn maid.

ReputationRep:
    List everything and give it to the lettings agency or the company the builder works for. Explain how you don't have much money as a student so cannot afford to waste food.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)ella)
    I'd get over it tbh. Yeah it's annoying, but whenever we've had builders in I haven't expected them to wash their mugs up!

Why don't you just ask him to be a bit more tidy?
    Yeah if it was just a couple of mugs that would be fine, but not everything. He didn't even have the decency to put them in the sink, just left them on the floor in the hallway.

I can't really ask him as I'm out all day so won't see him, and don't really feel comfortable leaving a note telling him to watch where he pees lol.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe take some pictures as proof so its not your word against his?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :)ella)
    I've never had a builder who has moved his mugs, get over yourself and don't offer him a drink if you expect him to wash up - it's your house not his so its kind of expected that you look after him a bit.

Leave a note if you won't see him. Remember complaining could lose him his job - would you really do that to someone?
    i guess that you give complementary blowjobs too

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! The freezer thing especially, refrozen food can be dangerous!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarbonProduction)
    Maybe take some pictures as proof so its not your word against his?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :yes:

I would find this quite rude. How difficult is it to clean up after yourself? We had builders in some years ago. Parents gave them a kettle to use and they never made a mess or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I live in a student house and everyone except me has gone home for easter. There has been a builder coming in this week to build a wall to separate the living room from the stairs, he was supposed to only be here yesterday and today but the work is not finished and all his stuff is still here so obviously he will be back tomorrow.

Our fridge is plugged into a socket in the living room (the cable runs through the kitchen door) and yesterday when I got home it was unplugged. I didn't even bother checking the fridge as everything in the freezer was barely cold so the food is ruined. Because of this, I left it unplugged. Today I've come home and it's now plugged in (so it has been unplugged at least 24 hours, but up to 36) and there is no warning note or anything from the builder to let me know his mistake. This kind of makes me think that he's tried to hide what he's done in the hope that I'll never realise. I'm definitely going to complain to our letting agency, because all the food is ruined and needs to be replaced.

Aside from that, I want to know whether you think it is justified to mention all the other annoyances. Both yesterday and today I've come home to find the toilet seat up (which on its own would be fine) but he's done a number 1 and not only NOT flushed the toilet, but has also missed (if you catch my drift) meaning I've had to get down and clean a grown man's wee... Also, he's walked over the bath mat for god knows what reason and it's now covered in boot prints. The sink is filthy and covered in plaster where he's been washing materials, and the kitchen work-surface is covered in food where he's made himself something and not cleaned up. There's washing up left for me in the sink, and dirty cups just left lying in the hallway. Plus, when I got home the light was on - last time I checked it was us not him that had to pay the electric.

Basically I want to know if these are valid things to say to the letting agents, or if I'm being a bit OCD (I'm quite over-the-top with cleanliness). It annoys me even more because throughout the year he's been lying to the agency, telling them he's fixed things when he hasn't, so I think the fact that I already don't like him is making these things seem worse. Thoughts?
    Yeah I think u should make a complain. He shouldn't leave your place messy. Write down all the things he's done and let you letting agency know. He sounds like a lazy prick!

ReputationRep:
    DEFINITELY complain. The fridge freezer thing is a really big problem. And do mention the other stuff, maybe it's not a huge deal but it's still not good working practice on his part, and shouldn't be your job to clean up.
    You say he's been telling the agency he's fixed things and actually hasn't fixed them all year? Did you report him for that? They should seriously look into finding a different builder, one who's not such a cowboy.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.