Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place..

However, I'd really appreciate some help on how to write a CV, as I'm beginning to look for a job and have no idea where to start!

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Basic idea:

[YOUR NAME]
    [PHONE NUMBER] [HOME ADDRESS (optional)] [EMAIL ADDRESS]

A short sentence about you, saying your best points. For example 'A self motivated an enterprising individual with interests in the creative industry'

EDUCATION

College/ Secondary school name --- Date of attendance
    Qualifications achieved, Grade

Secondary school Name--- Date of attendance
    GCSE--- Grade
    GCSE--- Grade
    etc

EXPERIENCE
    List any work experience here, along with dates and a description of your role.
    For example

TESCO--- January 2011- April 2012
    Sales Assistant
    Description of your role

Interests/ Achievements etc
    List some things about yourself, like hobbies, achievements, etc.

References
    Available on Request.

---------------
    Obviously you can add stuff if you need. There is plenty of help on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Shorty94)
    Thanks!

Or look for the CV Help forum and open a private thread on there where you can discuss specifics without the world being able to see it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Your education and work need to be in order starting from the most recent.

ReputationRep:
    Never put references available on request on a CV.

Three good reasons from a site I read once.

1. If a prospective employer asks you for references, then they will expect you to provide them with the names of people they can contact. Not providing references will not be an option.
    2. That you have references does not (or at least should not) make you any different from any other candidate.
    3. It's a waste of a good line – why waste precious space writing something that adds no value?

If you include references on your C.V you may find that some places will contact these at any point, to confirm details (without asking you first). It's a risk you may not want to take if a current employer isn't aware of you looking for another job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    Never put references available on request on a CV.

Three good reasons from a site I read once.

1. If a prospective employer asks you for references, then they will expect you to provide them with the names of people they can contact. Not providing references will not be an option.
    2. That you have references does not (or at least should not) make you any different from any other candidate.
    3. It's a waste of a good line – why waste precious space writing something that adds no value?

If you include references on your C.V you may find that some places will contact these at any point, to confirm details (without asking you first). It's a risk you may not want to take if a current employer isn't aware of you looking for another job.
    I used 'references available on request' because my references either kept changing (due to school closures, forgetting who I am etc) or they wanted to be notified before they were contacted (so they could prepare).

I've never had an issue with it. (Saying that, i've never had employers want references yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Basic idea:

[YOUR NAME]
    [PHONE NUMBER] [HOME ADDRESS (optional)] [EMAIL ADDRESS]

A short sentence about you, saying your best points. For example 'A self motivated an enterprising individual with interests in the creative industry'

EDUCATION

College/ Secondary school name --- Date of attendance
    Qualifications achieved, Grade

Secondary school Name--- Date of attendance
    GCSE--- Grade
    GCSE--- Grade
    etc

EXPERIENCE
    List any work experience here, along with dates and a description of your role.
    For example

TESCO--- January 2011- April 2012
    Sales Assistant
    Description of your role

Interests/ Achievements etc
    List some things about yourself, like hobbies, achievements, etc.

References
    Available on Request.

---------------
    Obviously you can add stuff if you need. There is plenty of help on the internet.
    Flip education and work experience. Experience is highly valued while education is not. The first thing an employer should read is previous work experience (or 'skills' depending on the form of CV the person is using). Education should only be listed first if the CV if the CV is for academic purposes (ie a CV is included as part of a masters course application or you are applying for a research assistant position).

Also the references available on request is a waste of space you can simply remove that.

But yes apart from those 2 points that is a good general layout of a CV.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.