Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Anybody who's claimed on endsleigh gadget insurance..
    I have a white unibody 2010 model 13'' Macbook. This model was discontinued in 2011. It's had a fair few knocks over the years and today I spilt some blackcurrant squash on it (it would have been on the back). It was on at the time and almost instantly the screen went black and it now can't be used. It won't recognise the charger and can't switch on.
    Luckily I'm insured with endsleigh and only have to pay the first £50 of any repairs/replacements.

I've made an appointment in the applestore first thing tomorrow morning and I suspect the laptop's repairs will be very expensive (if it's actually possible at all).
    If the damage report recommends replacing it, what kind of model can I expect to get? It's insured up to £1500 but obviously it only cost around 750 (i got the student discount) and they don't do my model anymore.

Anybody with experience of this please let me know.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I know nobody replied but this may be a useful thread for posterity!
    A little update:
    Endsleigh were amazing and decided to replace my laptop due to the extensive damage.
    They're sending me a cheque and it will be enough for a MBpro or air (13inch). Very happy with Endsleigh's customer service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundogs)
    I know nobody replied but this may be a useful thread for posterity!
    A little update:
    Endsleigh were amazing and decided to replace my laptop due to the extensive damage.
    They're sending me a cheque and it will be enough for a MBpro or air (13inch). Very happy with Endsleigh's customer service.
    Cheers for the update! I was just wondering the process, e.g. did you have to send your laptop off? My laptop is not recognizing my charger but not sure if this would be covered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    Cheers for the update! I was just wondering the process, e.g. did you have to send your laptop off? My laptop is not recognizing my charger but not sure if this would be covered...
    Are you insane, its contents insurance, "not my charger is broken".....LMAO.... it be so funny playing that back off a recorded call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    I took it into the genius bar and they did a damage report which I read over the phone to the advisor.
    I think they do arrange pickup and dropoff on other laptop makes though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    My charger is not broken, I dropped it and the connections inside is messed up not allowing me to charge it. And the screen is fuzzy.
    Broken/Damaged/Not working, that is not not the purpose of content insurance,lol.... so cute, just like playing poo bear.

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual’s personal possessions whilst they are located within that individual’s home. Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder.
    In this context "possessions" means anything that is not permanently attached to the structure of the home (possessions that are permanently attached to the structure of the home can only be insured via home insurance.) Some contents policies may also include possessions kept in outbuildings or in the garden area attached to the house.
    Contents insurance is usually sold alongside home insurance but it can also be purchased as a stand-alone policy, especially for those who are renting rather than owning their home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Broken/Damaged/Not working, that is not not the purpose of content insurance,lol.... so cute, just like playing poo bear.

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual’s personal possessions whilst they are located within that individual’s home. Some contents insurance policies also provide restricted cover for personal possessions temporarily taken away from the home by the policyholder.
    In this context "possessions" means anything that is not permanently attached to the structure of the home (possessions that are permanently attached to the structure of the home can only be insured via home insurance.) Some contents policies may also include possessions kept in outbuildings or in the garden area attached to the house.
    Contents insurance is usually sold alongside home insurance but it can also be purchased as a stand-alone policy, especially for those who are renting rather than owning their home.
    I was going under the heading laptop cover - accidental damage or loss which I have in my policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    I was going under the heading laptop cover - accidental damage or loss which I have in my policy.
    Yes but you have to actually damage it first.... i.e. "drop it unintentionally"....not even mention the charger and yeah you would get a payout. Otherwise, if they are suspicious they will have a courier come round to take it for examination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Yes but you have to actually damage it first.... i.e. "drop it unintentionally"....not even mention the charger and yeah you would get a payout. Otherwise, if they are suspicious they will have a courier come round to take it for examination.
    Cheers, that was what I was wondering, Is dropping accidental. Because I did actually drop it and its all messed up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ram92)
    Cheers, that was what I was wondering, Is dropping accidental. Because I did actually drop it and its all messed up now.
    Yeah, they will give you cash for a brand new laptop.....there following a scrip on the other end of the telephone to catch out people out. So just make sure you have a thought out scenario.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if einsleigh student gadget (laptop) insurance offer replacement or repairs on a laptop which was broken inside ? For example a big virus cracked down a computer. I'm going uni in September and I will surely need an insurance for my laptop. Thank you and hope to hear any answers as soon as possible :-).

ReputationRep:
    My Mac is worth £1000 but I got it for £500 with disabled students' allowance. Should I go for the more expensive Endsleigh package (up to £1500)? I suppose if it breaks I'll have to get a brand new one from the Apple store which would cost the full price.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.