Turn on thread page Beta

Suggestions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok Im sure this has been done many times before but I am going to do it anyway. So, here are some suggestions on how to improve UKL :-

1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason.

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason.

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond.

5 - Can the sub-forums be gotten rid of?

Thats it, I would appreciate it if the mods could take on board my ideas and forward them to 'd'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Ok Im sure this has been done many times before but I am going to do it anyway. So, here are some suggestions on how to improve UKL :-

1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason.

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason.

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond.

Thats it, I would appreciate it if the mods could take on board my ideas and forward them to 'd'.
    wow. u really thought that thru!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    wow. u really thought that thru!
    Is that mean't to be sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    Is that mean't to be sarcastic?
    no course not lol i agree with it all. but the sub forums i think shud stay

ReputationRep:

good stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    no course not lol i agree with it all. but the sub forums i think shud stay
    I dunno, they are so annoying to go in between the main thing. And whats even more annoying is that on several occasions I have seen threads which are exactly alike in both the main and sub-forums.

ReputationRep:
    very good ideas my friend. even miss scarlet would be proud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    I think he-she would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    y is she not often impressed? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Point 3 would be very easily to implement, its just simple of case of stroing user name in a sesison variable (which it probably already is) and then inserting stringing onto the message the user types when they leave the message. It would be 5 minutes coding at the most.

Some of the others would be hard to implement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Some of the others would be hard to implement.
    I don't think so. Many of them would either involve simple re-programming or changes involved with the mods.
    Other sites have similar mechanisms, why shouldn't this one?

ReputationRep:

1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites. - Would use up far more resources than the current system does.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason. - Fair enough. But...do you honestly care ?

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason. - Imagine the amount of posts the mods delete. It'd be far too much effort to do this; though if it was practical, it'd be a great idea.

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond. - One stupid person plus 29 of his friends = Chaos.

5 - Can the sub-forums be gotten rid of? - Why ?

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the suggestions, always appreciated.

1. If it is possible, this hopefully will be implemented at the upgrade soon.
    2. This isn't built into VB3 and i'm not sure whether people leaving their name is a good idea. In my view, the best solution would be to remove the whole system.
    3. There are too many posts being deleted to do this. If you meant threads, well, again there are alot, we can't send reasons out left right and centre. If you mean it being automatic, well i guess it could be done, but at the moment the usual reasons are one words like 'dupe' and 'spam' etc.
    4. Its open to abuse. If you want a thread deleted, it is best to do what no one ever does and report it.
    5. Lol, I am afraid the forums are too busy to combine. But maybe a few of the smaller ones could be hidden from the main view and left as sub sub forums (eg. IB).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ollie)
    If you want a thread deleted, it is best to do what no one ever does and report it.
    cheek - I report things left right and centre if there are no mods online or if I think the online mods have missed something

:teacherspet:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    cheek - I report things left right and centre if there are no mods online or if I think the online mods have missed something

:teacherspet:
    Ok, everyone but miss 'do you want my apple sir' queen!

I have also report posts I'll have you know! It was mine when I was drunk!

ReputationRep:
    When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason.
    Silly idea - if people had to put their name, many would simply not want to get on the wrong side of anyone, or risk getting into an argument or even a "bad rep battle". Needless to say, many would neg rep back the person who has given them some. People would no longer be allowed to say what they think, and as a democratic forum, we should remain anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Silly idea - if people had to put their name, many would simply not want to get on the wrong side of anyone, or risk getting into an argument or even a "bad rep battle". Needless to say, many would neg rep back the person who has given them some. People would no longer be allowed to say what they think, and as a democratic forum, we should remain anonymous.
    I still think we should remove it all together, it isn't accurate, its abused, and causes tears :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    *applauds* yay! i get given bad rep a lot, but it the ones who give good rep put their name on usually. i dont rep people bk tho unless they deserve it

ReputationRep:
    agree with all of those ideas

also maybe with the rep, if u wanna give bad rep, this has to be approved by a mod with a good reason, that will stop stupid pointless rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillynarb2)
    if u wanna give bad rep, this has to be approved by a mod with a good reason,
    We have lifes unfortunatly. And what if you want to bad rep a Mod?

Anyway, not built into VB

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.