Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Thanks for the suggestions, always appreciated.

1. If it is possible, this hopefully will be implemented at the upgrade soon.
    2. This isn't built into VB3 and i'm not sure whether people leaving their name is a good idea. In my view, the best solution would be to remove the whole system.
    3. There are too many posts being deleted to do this. If you meant threads, well, again there are alot, we can't send reasons out left right and centre. If you mean it being automatic, well i guess it could be done, but at the moment the usual reasons are one words like 'dupe' and 'spam' etc.
    4. Its open to abuse. If you want a thread deleted, it is best to do what no one ever does and report it.
    5. Lol, I am afraid the forums are too busy to combine. But maybe a few of the smaller ones could be hidden from the main view and left as sub sub forums (eg. IB).
    OK, I can see where you are coming from but I think on a number of points things can be changed.

I think that if reasons are justified as to why threads are being deleted, say via and automatic PM sent to the thread starter then this will almost certainly reduce the time you mods spend having to delete the thread titled "where did my last thread go?" soon after.

I think that point 4 may well be open to abuse but then if say 30 or 40 people find a thread offensive, or the number can be made higher if nessacary, then there should be an option to delete it via the power of the members, this again will reduce the amount of work for the mods. Also, many people do report posts, such as myself, yet either the report gets ignored and the thread remains there, or the thread will be modified or deleted hours later.

I think the idea of hiding some of the sub-forums would be pretty good if you can't completely remove them.

On the subject of rep, I think that making the issuers identity compulsory will probably be better as it will allow people to know who is repping them, ususally negatively, for no given reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Silly idea - if people had to put their name, many would simply not want to get on the wrong side of anyone, or risk getting into an argument or even a "bad rep battle". Needless to say, many would neg rep back the person who has given them some. People would no longer be allowed to say what they think, and as a democratic forum, we should remain anonymous.
    You argument is absurd. How can concealed negative repping be democratic??? :confused: This is sly and underhanded. Also I think the majority of people will not abuse this as they will not want to waste their rep giving it to people who rep them negatively.

I think that if someone is repeatedly neg repping someone for no reason then surely that person has the right to know who it is? Is that not more justified?

ReputationRep:
    Well Done MC. I totally agree with every point you made, and I think they are all very valid. I think maybe the last point maybe asking too much but the rest of them are fine.
    Also, I agree 150% with the idea to leave the name after the rep. It will mean that people can actually know who the cowards are who find it so difficult to leave their names!

ReputationRep:
    1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites.hopefully, we wont have this rpoblem too much longer, and also, most of the unregistaired people are actually registaired, so that would just involve them all logging in and we'd have the same problem.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason. who cares? why do you want to know? normally pepole put a reason, just accept it and move on it shouldnt matter whos said it.

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason. not a chance. if you saw how many threads/posts are deleted you'd understand why this is rediculas

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond. d chooses his mods so he can trust them, giving people like bono with his multiple identities the power to delete threads is rediculas

5 - Can the sub-forums be gotten rid of?no if you imagine all the threads that are posted daily, the important academic ones that sometimes are left for a week without an answer would end up on page 15 of the main forum and therefore never getting answered.

sorry, but no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    .hopefully, we wont have this rpoblem too much longer, and also, most of the unregistaired people are actually registaired, so that would just involve them all logging in and we'd have the same problem.

How can you assume that most of the unregistered are actually registered? I very much doubt that, if they register then why would they not log in?

who cares? why do you want to know? normally pepole put a reason, just accept it and move on it shouldnt matter whos said it.

I would like to know who gives me rep, alongside the majority of the forum, we all care, how can you again assume that we don't, especially given the fact that there have been so many threads about this. Also, the people who dont leave their name just leave stupid comments, often unjustified, how is this fair?

not a chance. if you saw how many threads/posts are deleted you'd understand why this is rediculas

How is this ridiculous? You have taken in upon yourself to accept responsibility as a moderator, so why should you not do what is required, which is moderating???

d chooses his mods so he can trust them, giving people like bono with his multiple identities the power to delete threads is rediculas

In more cases then not, the mods are often late to respond and also many many times do not do anything about the problem which has been complained about, by which time offence has been caused.

no if you imagine all the threads that are posted daily, the important academic ones that sometimes are left for a week without an answer would end up on page 15 of the main forum and therefore never getting answered.

fair enough.

This is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Cyst.

ReputationRep:
    How can you assume that most of the unregistered are actually registered? I very much doubt that, if they register then why would they not log in?

because we know this by the online lists. there are many more members than the usual few you see on here everyday. many come have a look if theres anything worth posting in and if theres not, they leave, if there is they log in reply and then leave. why waste your time logging in if your not going to post anything, the only reason i log in everytime is to check my pm, which if i wasnt a mod i wouldnt do.

I would like to know who gives me rep, alongside the majority of the forum, we all care, how can you again assume that we don't, especially given the fact that there have been so many threads about this. Also, the people who dont leave their name just leave stupid comments, often unjustified, how is this fair?

im not assuming anything, read what i said again
    who cares? why do you want to know? normally pepole put a reason, just accept it and move on it shouldnt matter whos said it.
    wheres an assumption in that? and its not fair, the whole system is flawed, which is the reasons why the mods dont like it.

How is this ridiculous? You have taken in upon yourself to accept responsibility as a moderator, so why should you not do what is required, which is moderating???
    where is your point exactly? yes i have taken it upon myself to accept the responsibility of being a moderator, i dont think that needed pointing out i have it plastered accros my screen...and last time i checked i do moderatate, which is what is required from me....so your arguing an empty point???

In more cases then not, the mods are often late to respond and also many many times do not do anything about the problem which has been complained about, by which time offence has been caused.
    fair point and i appologise for anyone offended by material on this site, but if we were to make everyone a mod, especially spammers we may as well just take the site off the internet.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    The sub forums have helped to some extent. Sure you still get newbies posting for help on their coursework, and the odd university question, but still, it has lessened the amount of largely irrelevent stuff from the main page, and allows better navigation, so that you can find what you want (most of the time). I was initially against it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Ok Im sure this has been done many times before but I am going to do it anyway. So, here are some suggestions on how to improve UKL :-

1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason.

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason.

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond.

5 - Can the sub-forums be gotten rid of?

Thats it, I would appreciate it if the mods could take on board my ideas and forward them to 'd'.
    All are good except for no. 5
    Sub forums are an exceptional good idea, imagine all the mixing of threads if we didnt have one!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to the supermarket on an empty stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Don't go to the supermarket on an empty stomach.
    Huh? That was well random!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Huh? That was well random!
    That's what happens when you two pages of UK-Learning open at the same time. I was wondering where that went and why it didn't appear on the 'tips for students' page. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    We have lifes unfortunatly. And what if you want to bad rep a Mod?

Anyway, not built into VB

The plural for life is "lives", not lifes.

no offense

ReputationRep:
    1 - When the server becomes busy, there should be some sort of device which can prevent unregistered users from not accessing the page website whilst registered users can. This can be done as it is implemented in other websites.hopefully, we wont have this rpoblem too much longer, and also, most of the unregistaired people are actually registaired, so that would just involve them all logging in and we'd have the same problem.

2 - When rep is given, can the procedure be changed so that the person who gives the rep, immediately has there name written next to the message which they leave, without their choice. This will allow people to know who is repping them for no given reason. who cares? why do you want to know? normally pepole put a reason, just accept it and move on it shouldnt matter whos said it.

3 - Before posts are deleted, can the person be notified with a concrete reason by a moderator who is online. This is to avoid firstly, subsequent threads being posted asking where the previous thread went, and secondly so threads are not randomly deleted or closed for no particular reason. not a chance. if you saw how many threads/posts are deleted you'd understand why this is rediculas

4 - A system should be made where on particular threads, there should be an option where is a certain number of users, say 30, dissaprove of the thread, then they can vote to have it deleted without having to go through the mods, who often take ages to respond. d chooses his mods so he can trust them, giving people like bono with his multiple identities the power to delete threads is rediculas

5 - Can the sub-forums be gotten rid of?no if you imagine all the threads that are posted daily, the important academic ones that sometimes are left for a week without an answer would end up on page 15 of the main forum and therefore never getting answered.

sorry, but no.
    How old are you? i think you should know that unregistered is NOT spelt "unregistaired"!

No offense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    How old are you? i think you should know that unregistered is NOT spelt "unregistaired"!

No offense

im 18, but what does that have to do with anything? and if i knew how unregistaired was spelt surly id spell it properly.

and no offence taken,

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Very good ideas, although you have to remember that all of this will have to be implimented by the admin and will cost money to upgrade the forum.

I would say you are almost suggesting that mods are got rid of, instead a partial democracy of the members would be created, ensuring no one member could remove any posts or threads.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.