Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCCCC(B in maths) at GCSE because I wasn't really trying in school but and also got CDD at AS levels. In the past one year I've really started putting in effort at college, I've done a few re-sits and my last set of january results were really good, I'm on track of getting AAB in business studies, economics and psychology

I'll probably end up deferring a year because my firm choice is currently BBC which I really don't wanna go to since I'll feel like I'm under-achieving

My question is what's the best university I would be able to get in with s*** GCSE's and no maths at college if I were to get the AAB and wanted to go into IB? I wouldn't mind re-taking my GCSE maths in my gap year to get an A* in it.
    I'm currently looking at Nottingham/Birmingham since if I were to re-take GCSE maths I would match their requirement but does anyone know how strict they are on GCSE grades?(especially nottingham)

ReputationRep:
    C'mon mate, cracking into this industry isn't about what you got in your GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    C'mon mate, cracking into this industry isn't about what you got in your GCSE's.
    I know but the university i go to is important for this carrer and i need good GCSE's to get in those uni's
    Anyone know how important they are for Nottingham and Birmingham since they're the only good BSC ones i could find that don't require A-Levels maths?

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, Nottingham are extremely strict. They will pull you up on the following:

- You don't have A-Level Maths (yes, it is a requirement for Economics)
    - Your subject combination is too narrow (doing both Business and Economics)
    - Your GCSEs aren't great

Birmingham are less strict, I'd be surprised if you got rejected from there. Nottingham is worth a shot, but unlikely I think, you are probably best ringing them and asking?

I'd probably also be tempted to make sure you have A's in all core GCSEs (English, Maths, Science) as a minimum - it will help.

Also, Manchester and Cass Business School don't require A-Level Maths and aren't strict on the Business/Economics combination although people usually are at the higher end with GCSE grades. In fact, Cass offer you a pre-sessional Math course before you start to make sure you have everything you need to know if you don't do it at A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    From my experience, Nottingham are extremely strict. They will pull you up on the following:

- You don't have A-Level Maths (yes, it is a requirement for Economics)
    - Your subject combination is too narrow (doing both Business and Economics)
    - Your GCSEs aren't great

Birmingham are less strict, I'd be surprised if you got rejected from there. Nottingham is worth a shot, but unlikely I think, you are probably best ringing them and asking?

I'd probably also be tempted to make sure you have A's in all core GCSEs (English, Maths, Science) as a minimum - it will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nottingham doesn't have A-Level maths as a requirement but i'm sure it would help with the application
    I'm prepared to do GCSE maths in my gap year but that's as far as i'm going, i'm not gonna resit all the English & sciences just to have a higher chance of being rejected since i herd they're GCSE Nazi's

If all else fails i'll have BA Economics at manchester to fall back on

ReputationRep:
    For getting into IB (rather than University) from what I remember they request details of any resits taken as well - so you will have to explain why the grades differed so much and why you didn't realise the importance and pay attention the first time around. I had to submit audited copies of all GSCE/Alevel/Degree certificates to get my first job in IB.

It's especially important given that in these days you are competing against at least 100 other graduates for each job, and often 100 Analysts who were let go and are already experienced.

ReputationRep:
    Would customer service apprenticeship at a bank like barclays be a waste of time in my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Would customer service apprenticeship at a bank like barclays be a waste of time in my gap year?
    Not as such although its not very similar to IB.

ReputationRep:
    If the alternative is doing nothing then no. But it doesn't sound like IB at all (I'm guessing it's a retail thing?), so I don't think you should look at it as a step up into that division.

ReputationRep:
    It may not be a wate of time.....but it will be bloody boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Not as such although its not very similar to IB.
    (Original post by MinorityInterest)
    If the alternative is doing nothing then no. But it doesn't sound like IB at all (I'm guessing it's a retail thing?), so I don't think you should look at it as a step up into that division.
    It may not be a wate of time.....but it will be bloody boring.
    How about 2 years as an operations analyst before going to uni at a mid-tier investment bank?

Would that affect my chances of getting a job in FO later in the future since operations is BO? But surely having a 2 years experience when applying for internship should give me an advantage over other applicants right?

ReputationRep:
    How about 2 years as an operations analyst before going to uni at a mid-tier investment bank?

Would that affect my chances of getting a job in FO later in the future since operations is BO? But surely having a 2 years experience when applying for internship should give me an advantage over other applicants right?
    Again, it would be so boring. Why not do some travelling or something at least exciting and differnet.

ReputationRep:
    Again, it would be so boring. Why not do some travelling or something.
    why would it be boring?

ReputationRep:
    why would it be boring?
    Because you would just be inputting data into excel? Do you think you will gain a lot from that? Trust me mate, you have a year to go and have some fun and see the world, this is coming from someone who has worked on their gap year. Though not solidly for a year. If you can work in another country, doesn't have to be finance or anything then do something like that. I can assure you doing BO work for a 2 years would be mind numbingly dull. But hey some people enjoy that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    2 years in operations will add nothing. If you want to do IB, work in IB. Reach out to boutiques and offer to work for free.

Still amazes me the distance some people are willing to cover in order to get into a BB... Yes, you can apply normally and get a position, but taking out 2 years, going to university and then applying for a job? It's not worth it, neither the long hours or the shrinking salaries.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.