Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice please. Basically I have narrowed my options for studying in UK to two possible choices:

1. University of Cambridge - BA (Hons.) degree in Chinese studies.

2. University of Edinburgh - Bachelor's degree in economics.

Which one would be better? I'm a bit worried about the employability of Cambridge Chinese studies degree although I'd probably like that much more, even if it's very demanding.

Studying in Edinburgh doesn't cost me any tuition fees while Cambridge costs 9000£ a year. Both would take 4 years to complete. Is the higher cost of Cambridge justifiable compared to Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    The difference in subjects is quite vast, may I ask why you have picked only these two subjects and those universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    The difference in subjects is quite vast, may I ask why you have picked only these two subjects and those universities?
    Ah, yes, that's correct. Well, basically I'm interested in Chinese but I'm not bad in economics either. The employability of a degree in Chinese isn't as good as an economics degree's but I think the name of Cambridge might help to compensate for it.

I also have a chance to study a law degree which is very respected and offers almost certain employment here in Finland without any tuition fees. Also there's the option to go to mainland China with a scholarship. I simply think that only the best UK universities are worth the trouble of doing my studies in UK. Only reason I'd go to UK is because it would benefit my career + I like English. If I just wanted to learn Chinese, then mainland would be best choice.

Edinburgh and maybe also Glasgow are interesting because they're good Russell Group universities but still don't charge tuition fees from EU students. In England only Oxbridge might be worth paying that 30-40 thousand pounds and one can only apply to only one of those two.

And that's what I'm trying to find out, if it's worth the cost to study in Cambridge. Does Oxbridge degree with good grades offer an edge in UK job market even if it's from subject such as Chinese. Economics in Cambridge is out of question, I don't love that subject enough to be able to cope with the difficult studies there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusina)
    Ah, yes, that's correct. Well, basically I'm interested in Chinese but I'm not bad in economics either. The employability of a degree in Chinese isn't as good as an economics degree's but I think the name of Cambridge might help to compensate for it.

I also have a chance to study a law degree which is very respected and offers almost certain employment here in Finland without any tuition fees. Also there's the option to go to mainland China with a scholarship. I simply think that only the best UK universities are worth the trouble of doing my studies in UK. Only reason I'd go to UK is because it would benefit my career + I like English. If I just wanted to learn Chinese, then mainland would be best choice.

Edinburgh and maybe also Glasgow are interesting because they're good Russell Group universities but still don't charge tuition fees from EU students. In England only Oxbridge might be worth paying that 30-40 thousand pounds and one can only apply to only one of those two.

And that's what I'm trying to find out, if it's worth the cost to study in Cambridge. Does Oxbridge degree with good grades offer an edge in UK job market even if it's from subject such as Chinese. Economics in Cambridge is out of question, I don't love that subject enough to be able to cope with the difficult studies there.
    I am not, by any means, an expert on the employability of degrees but a degree from Cambridge is always looked on favourably. There are however many graduates and having a degree in Chinese, albeit, from Cambridge may put you at a disadvantage - to what extent I have no idea.

One thing I will point out is that Economics at Edinburgh will still be tough. So if you do go to Edinburgh for that you can still expect a work load. Also in applying to both of these courses you would presumably be going through UCAS in which case you can only write one personal statement, so how you would write a personal statement for both Chinese and Economics beats me.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, it seems as though you have based your choices on universities and not on courses. The most important thing is to decide what degree you want to do and then look at which universities offer that degree. As Muppet Science wrote, writing a PS for both Chinese and economics will be almost impossible. Secondly, if you don't want to study economics at Cambridge, you probably wouldn't want to study it anywhere else. Remember that Edinburgh is a great university and studying economics there will be quite demanding as well. In my opinion, you have to be genuinely interested in Chinese to study it full-time (I'm currently in my second year). Since you're thinking of studying it for four years, I assume that you are. Which subject would you like to study no matter where it is offered? I think that's the question you should ask yourself.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusina)
    I need some advice please. Basically I have narrowed my options for studying in UK to two possible choices:

1. University of Cambridge - BA (Hons.) degree in Chinese studies.

2. University of Edinburgh - Bachelor's degree in economics.

Which one would be better? I'm a bit worried about the employability of Cambridge Chinese studies degree although I'd probably like that much more, even if it's very demanding.

Studying in Edinburgh doesn't cost me any tuition fees while Cambridge costs 9000£ a year. Both would take 4 years to complete. Is the higher cost of Cambridge justifiable compared to Edinburgh?
    Its so important that you study a subject you truly like. The employability of a degree in Chinese studies is normally poor. If anyone will be employed it would probably be a Cambridge graduate. These 2 subjects are very different from each other. Pick the one you truly love, I really wouldn't be worried about employability with either of these 2 subjects. With the right internships and networking a Chinese studies degree from Cambridge could even lead to a job in banking.

On the issue of money, it really depends on whether or not your family can cover the fees. If your family cannot, I would probably put more weight to Edinburgh as 30-40000 is quite a heavy burden.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.